Ireland - Presidential election

Casey sinks to a new low as he singles out the First Dogs for criticism.

Even nicer is the new bypass roads. Most of the N roads went through the middle of town. EU funding paid for bypass roads to go past the towns without the congestion of a town centre.

Note re congested traffic in Ireland: If driving north through town behind a trailer load of pigs who are facing north never pull up close to the tail of the trailer or truck. In Ireland I learned that pigs do projectile shiteing.

Traveller controversy: Wacky racer has started a debate we need to have - Independent.ie

Your Mrs is correct and as Gandhi said the best way to judge a country is by how it treats its children and animals.

If the Travellers were a country, they would be wedged somewhere between Afghanistan and Kazakhstan. We would be sending aid workers to promote women's rights, child welfare and literacy, promoting small industry as an alternative to illegal trading and criminality.

There would be workshops educating the menfolk in appropriate animal husbandry and conflict resolution.

In the article, Paul Williams refers to high levels of addiction, domestic violence and suicide in the Travelling community but the blame for that can't be totally handed over to the settled folk. They will have to look to themselves for that.

My former BSM had some ‘bracing’ opinions about Travellers. He slow rolled through a halting site in an ACMAT once. SMG poking out of the cab and roaring “Ze Efnik Cleansing Vill Kommenz In Funfzehn Minuten”. The two Gunners in the back thought they going to get scalped.

Why on earth would anyone want to be President of the RoI and actually spend their hard-earned on campaigning?...
Back about the beginning of the thread there's a mention of the pay and pension. If a candidate gets enough votes, win or lose, he or she gets some of the costs reimbursed- €200,000 I think.

I met Mary Robinson once - she was a miserable cow...
Never met Robinson but I did meet Mary McAleese twice and she is a lovely woman. I almost regretted not voting for her twice.

A bit of a family tradition in the Kennedy family here in the US and they still have members in office.
Of course the Duffy cases might have been different, Duffy might have been sober.
I always think that he's had a few drinks every time he talks.

The tenth Presidential election in Ireland was held on Wednesday 7 November 1990. The candidates were Austin Currie (Fine Gael), Mary Robinson (Labour) and Brian Lenihan (Fianna Fáil). Fianna Fáil was in government at the time and given Lenihan’s popularity, he was seen as a walk-in for the job. Apart from that, the Presidency was a FF preserve, all six Presidents to date having been Fianna Fáilers. Currie was a newly minted TD in the Republic having been elected in 1989, he was from Northern Ireland and had been in the SDLP. Robinson had been a very active campaigning Senator on things like legalising homosexuality and contraception. But her being a woman was seen as being a major drawback. It was President Brian Lenihan for the next two terms it seemed. But just when you think it’s all done and dusted the Constitution strikes. In ancient Greece the Gods punished hubris, in Ireland it’s Bunreacht na hÉireann.

In January 1982, Fine Gael Taoiseach, Garret FitzGerald had asked President Patrick Hillery to dissolve the Dáil so that a general election could be held. It’s in the President’s power as laid down by the Constitution to grant or deny such a request. Had it been denied then the opposition under Charlie Haughey as leader of FF would have formed a government. It had been alleged at the time that Haughey and other FF members of the Dáil, inclusing Brian Lenihan had made phone calls to their old mate Paddy Hillery asking him to refuse to dissolve the Dáil, Hillery rebuffed their pleas and granted the dissolution. Just before the Presidential election in 1990, Lenihan gave an interview to a lad named Jim Duffy, a journalistand post-grad student, in which he admitted he had phoned the President in 1982. During the Presidential campaign the alleged phone calls popped up in the newspapers and Lenihan denied he’d made the call. Duffy released the recording of the interview and Lenihan had a car crash television interview in which he made a U-turn, admitted making the phone call and put the kibosh on his presidential hopes and in the end his political career. The chaos that ensued from the affair led to a motion of No Confidence in the government. FF’s coalition partners threatened to withdraw from government unless Lenihan resigned as Tanaiste (Deputy PM) and Minister for Defence. Lenihan refused to resign so Haughey went to the Park to get him dismissed by Hilllery and that was effectively the end of Brian Lenihan’s political career.

Despite the controversy Lenihan got the highest number of First Preference votes. However Fine Gael and Labour had a voting pact in place which meant that FG voters were asked to give their Number 2 to Labour and vice versa. Mary Robinson went on to win the election becoming the first woman and the first non-Fianna Fáil candidate to do so.

Nice of Mr Burns from the Simpsons to give permission to check his spending.... but not right now :)

Higgins under immense pressure says he’ll welcome an audit on his spendings… AFTER the election
Apparently Presidential expenses have never been audited which is very odd. The Public Accounts Committee were obviously asleep at the wheel in this regard. The issue was suddenly raised when Michael D. decided to run for a second term and his opponents have been hinting that there are irregularities, complaining about his using the government jet to fly to Belfast and staying in €3,000 a night hotel rooms. We can assume that the President, the same as any other head of state, does not do his own books nor make his own travel arrangements.

Bunreacht na hEireann clearly states that An tUachtarain is not answerable to the Oireachtas
The President is part of the Oireachtas and quite rightly Presidential powers should not be constrained by other parts of the Oireachtas.

That said I would say that auditing Presidential expenses, which come from public funds after all,is a seperate issue.

Back about the beginning of the thread there's a mention of the pay and pension. If a candidate gets enough votes, win or lose, he or she gets some of the costs reimbursed- €200,000 I think.

Never met Robinson but I did meet Mary McAleese twice and she is a lovely woman. I almost regretted not voting for her twice.
Mary McAleese signed my commission ... and my decommission:rolleyes:

Mary McAleese signed my commission ... and my decommission:rolleyes:
I was Guard Commander and handed over the Guard when she visited Hill 880 in 1997. I had a long conversation with her husband without knowing WTF he was, lost three years off my life when the Minister for Defence, Michael Smith, did a turn for the cameras with a loaded GPMG and had a fun moment when I broke the news to her security guard that we were located in the middle of what was one big Israeli minefield. He turned pale before my eyes.

Erskine Childers was the fourth President of Ireland. Childers was born in London in 1905, son of a father from Wicklow and an American mother. He was educated at Gresham’s and Cambridge and thus developed the upper class British accent that was the key to advancement in British public life.

Childers’s father, Robert Erskine Childers, led an adventurous life. He served in the Army in the Boer War, the Royal Navy and the RAF in WW1 and was mentioned in Dispatches and awarded the Distinguished Service Cross. He was also a member of the Liberal Party. Despite all this he was a committed Irish Republican, who smuggled weapons from Germany to Ireland for the Irish volunteers just prior to WW1. As such Childers was secretary-general of the Irish delegation that negotiated the Anglo-Irish Treaty in 1921. He opted for the Anti-Treaty side in the Civil War and was arrested at his home in Wicklow on 10 November 1922. Crucially, when he was arrested, he was in possession of a pistol in contravention of the Emergency Powers Resolution Act. Possession of a weapon was enough to see him sentenced to death on 20 November 1922 by Court Martial and he was executed by Firing Squad on 24 November in Beggars Bush Barracks, Dublin.

Young Erskine was elected to the Dáil in 1938 and served continuously as TD and in various Ministerial posts until elected President in 1973. Although his Ministerial Career was describes by one commentator as spectacularly unsuccessful, Childers defeated the FG candidate, Tom O’Higgins, quite easily in 1973. His nomination as FF candidate wasn’t popular and it was the influence of outgoing President Eamonn De Valera that swung the nomination for Childers. Not many heads of state have had a father who was executed for treason.

Childers’s term in office was the shortest of any Irish President at 511 days. He collapsed and died of heart failure on 17 November 1974. To date he is the only President to die in office. We got the day off school for that.

I once had the joy of going to Athlone whilst the Irish Ploughing Championships were being held there.

Next time I will check before I go. :rolleyes:

Edited to add that next time I won't go and will throw a sickie instead.

And Erskine Childers wrote one of the most boring books I ever tried to read in "Riddle of the Sands" which was made into an equally bl**dy awful film of the same name.

Last edited:
I was Guard Commander and handed over the Guard when she visited Hill 880 in 1997. I had a long conversation with her husband without knowing WTF he was, lost three years off my life when the Minister for Defence, Michael Smith, did a turn for the cameras with a loaded GPMG and had a fun moment when I broke the news to her security guard that we were located in the middle of what was one big Israeli minefield. He turned pale before my eyes.
82nd Bn??

I once had the joy of going to Athlone whilst the Irish Ploughing Championships were being held there.

And Erkine Childers wrote one of the most boring books I ever tried to read in "Riddle of the Sands" which was made into an equally bl**dy awful film of the same name.
Possibly also read by the President of his Court Martial which might explain a lot.

Junior Court Martial Officer; "Look lads, we can't shoot a man for possession of a small pistol that was given him by Michael Collins."

Colonel Driscoll; "He wrote The Riddle of The Sands you know."

President of Court Martial; "So we're all agreed then, Firing Squad, Thursday, 0800. Sign that. Anyone going for a pint?"

I'm watching the Presidential Debate. I must admit it's quite refreshing to see a lack of spin doctoring relative to that which we see from UK politicians. I can't help thinking that's it's all a bit amateurish . The moderator could be a bit stronger though , he reminds me a bit of Father Ted.

And Erskine Childers wrote one of the most boring books I ever tried to read in "Riddle of the Sands" which was made into an equally bl**dy awful film of the same name.
You are dead to me....

That's a bit strong.

You are in a coma of indeterminent length to me.