Ireland - Presidential election

In conjunction with the Presidential election there's a referendum to remove the requirement to legislate for the crime of blasphemy from the Constitution.

There was no such legislation for 70 years, under the Constitution anyway, until the FF Minister for Justice Dermot Aherne slipped it into The Defamation Act 2009 at the last minute. Somebody made a complaint of blasphemy against Stephen Fry when he appeared on a television show and while no action was taken. Anyway it should be an easy win for the government.

There's a few referendums coming down the tracks on things like the reference to the woman's place in the home and extending the vote in Presidential elections to anyone who has ever had a pint of Guinness.

There's a strange scarcity of election posters about. Only the Shinners have bothered in my area and for some reason they've used a photo of one of Ni Riadha's teenage daughters. Found one of Miggledy's online though.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

There's a strange scarcity of election posters about. Only the Shinners have bothered in my area and for some reason they've used a photo of one of Ni Riadha's teenage daughters. Found one of Miggledy's online though.
Makes him look quite tall !

As you pointed out earlier, if nothing else, Casey will be remembered for bringing up some uncomfortable truths - a very rare quality in politics anywhere. He doesn't seem to be the head of state / diplomatic type needed but he should get himself elected as an independent member of parliament and carry on injecting truth in to the usual circus in the Dail.

I was rather surprised when I went to my fathers funeral last month in Castlecoote. The motorways, whilst being a wonderful riding experience, were a little third world with having to stop every 50 yards to pay a toll*

* not every 50 yards and I did see 200 on the clock.

Why on earth would anyone want to be President of the RoI and actually spend their hard-earned on campaigning?

I met Mary Robinson once - she was a miserable cow...

Why on earth would anyone want to be President of the RoI and actually spend their hard-earned on campaigning?

She's not flavour of the month in mayo at the moment with her property greed especially the hoo ha over massbrook house,
it's hard to hear a good word about her, and she is the most dour old biddy.

I was rather surprised when I went to my fathers funeral last month in Castlecoote. The motorways, whilst being a wonderful riding experience, were a little third world with having to stop every 50 yards to pay a toll*

* not every 50 yards and I did see 200 on the clock.
Tolls to Castlecoote? It's the backend of nowhere so you had three max unless you were doing the 200 past Athlone, missed the turn and ended up in Ballinasloe ... for the fair

She's not flavour of the month in mayo at the moment with her property greed especially the hoo ha over massbrook house,
it's hard to hear a good word about her, and she is the most dour old biddy.
I despised (and still despise) Big Bird. A self-serving cúnt if ever there was one.

Tolls to Castlecoote? It's the backend of nowhere so you had three max unless you were doing the 200 past Athlone, missed the turn and ended up in Ballinasloe ... for the fair
My Missus is refusing to vote for Michael D as he opened the Ballinasloe Horse Fair and the knackers don't treat their horses well.

My Missus is refusing to vote for Michael D as he opened the Ballinasloe Horse Fair and the knackers don't treat their horses well.
Traveller controversy: Wacky racer has started a debate we need to have - Independent.ie

Your Mrs is correct and as Gandhi said the best way to judge a country is by how it treats its children and animals.

If the Travellers were a country, they would be wedged somewhere between Afghanistan and Kazakhstan. We would be sending aid workers to promote women's rights, child welfare and literacy, promoting small industry as an alternative to illegal trading and criminality.

There would be workshops educating the menfolk in appropriate animal husbandry and conflict resolution.

In the article, Paul Williams refers to high levels of addiction, domestic violence and suicide in the Travelling community but the blame for that can't be totally handed over to the settled folk. They will have to look to themselves for that.

If I could vote in the ROI that nice mr Casey would get mine,anyone who rubbishes knackers cant be all bad:) and as gary said there will be a lot of votes agreeing with his views even though they wont admit it in public.

Pride: Joan Freeman's daughter 'comes out' to try to silence Iona links - Independent.ie

Joanie parades daughter to try and get the gay vote.

I'm no fan of Michael D - but the other candidates have looked like political pygmies compared to him - Independent.ie

While political commentator John Downing criticises Michael D. for not doing stuff that he can't do.

Sinn Féin will be disappointed with Liadh Ní Riada's score of 9pc and will be going all out in these final days to improve things.
If the Shinners don't get Ni Riadha's vote up, there will be much wailing and gnashing of teeth. She's on about half of the party's support and well below Marty's effort in 2011.

By happy coincidence today marks the 42nd anniversary of the resignation of Cearbhall Ó Dálaigh , 5th President of Ireland. That's Carroll O'Daly to most of you.

As is often the case the controversy was the fault of the Brits. In this instance it was down to Christopher Ewart-Biggs, the British Ambassador to Ireland, who having survived El Alamein, was murdered by the IRA in Dublin on 21st July 1976. The Fine Gale-Labour Coalition government introduced an Emergency Powers Bill to deal with the terrorist threat. In order to become law the President has to sign all Bills, but he can send them to the Supreme Court to get the rule run over them by the Justices, which Ó Dálaigh duly did. The Supreme Court gave the Emergency Powers Act the thumbs up and the President signed it into law on 16th October.

As the President was signing the Emergency Powers Act, down in Co. Laois the Gardai were conducting a search of a house in Mountmellick. Sergeant Jim Cannon, Detective Garda Tom Peters, Detective Garda Ben Thornton, Garda Gerry Bohan and Garda Michael Clerkin. During the search the IRA detonated a bomb killing Garda Clerkin and seriously wounding his colleagues.

Members of the government blamed the Garda's death on the delay in signing the Emergency Powers Act into law and on the following day the Minister for Defence, Paddy Donegan, in a speech referred to President Ó Dálaigh as a "thundering disgrace". A constitutional crisis erupted and when the Taoiseach, Liam Cosgrave, reused to accept Donegan's resignation, Ó Dálaigh himself resigned in a high dudgeon on 22nd October.