Ireland - Presidential election

1 around Dublin
1 to Belfast
9 from the regions to Dublin
1 from Limerick to Galway
What they call a Motorway in Ireland is an A-class road in the UK.

What they call a Motorway in Ireland is an A-class road in the UK.
I don't think that is correct. Irish motorways have a central median with a barrier, a hard shoulder, and grade-separated junctions. These are not generally features that you will find on A-class roads in the UK, and certainly not in Scotland.

There are no parallels between Ireland in the UK and the UK in the EU. The UK is in the EU by choice, Ireland was in the UK by virtue of military conquest. Britain's wailing about wanting to be free and Mrs May wittering about not wanting to break up her country caused some howls of mirth this side of the Irish sea.

If you wanted a lesson from Irish history on the perils of leaving a Union, the economic disaster that was Ireland from 1922 to 1973 would be the lesson to learn. The economic illiterates that took us out of the UK also launched a trade war with Britain in the 30s. Not coincidentally six of my mothers brothers and sisters died before the age of 5 at that time, basically of malnutrition. Freedom is no substitute for a full belly.
Same with my mothers family.

13 children born between 1920 and 1937 (that’s not an error).

Six survived into adulthood. The others died young. Mostly attributed to illness but behind that lies the rarely mentioned fact that in reality they were half-starved and unable to fight any infection or illness.

Despite, or possibly because of, the privations of their childhoods the half dozen that lived did so into their late eighties/mid-nineties. My mother is still pissing everyone off at 89.

An utterly different world within the memory of a single lifetime.

I don't think that is correct. Irish motorways have a central median with a barrier, a hard shoulder, and grade-separated junctions. These are not generally features that you will find on A-class roads in the UK, and certainly not in Scotland.
"Motorway" in NI generally has two lanes rather than three excepting the Westlink and Shore Rd section. The Ballymena Bypass is a good example: two lanes but the furniture and connections are recognisably motorway. Built years ago with the works for a connection from the M2 to the south that was never built.

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
There are no parallels between Ireland in the UK and the UK in the EU. The UK is in the EU by choice, Ireland was in the UK by virtue of military conquest. Britain's wailing about wanting to be free and Mrs May wittering about not wanting to break up her country caused some howls of mirth this side of the Irish sea.

If you wanted a lesson from Irish history on the perils of leaving a Union, the economic disaster that was Ireland from 1922 to 1973 would be the lesson to learn. The economic illiterates that took us out of the UK also launched a trade war with Britain in the 30s. Not coincidentally six of my mothers brothers and sisters died before the age of 5 at that time, basically of malnutrition. Freedom is no substitute for a full belly.
Gary I take your valid points, though up until and during WW1 we had our poverty and starvation too, children here were dying of fevers diphtheria etc right up to the late fifties.(I saw a friend sent home from school to be told the next day that he had died) . However If there are two nations in Europe that deserves to be more than just friends it is UK and ROI, there is though a great difference in thinking between both nations; one small example, I was admiring the lovely Georgian buildings in Dublin, I said to my Irish friend, just how well built they were. His answer was "They built them for their bloody selves!" He was right of course, but so was the stuff the Normans left for us with wonderful Churches and cathedrals, they built them for themselves, but we enjoy them. In my lifetime I wish for at first a 'Joint council of UK and Ireland' something that would lead to a united Ireland and much closer UK ties with the ROI. We just cannot let them keep all the singing, the humour and culture to themselves; not quite fair!

"Motorway" in NI generally has two lanes rather than three excepting the Westlink and Shore Rd section. The Ballymena Bypass is a good example: two lanes but the furniture and connections are recognisably motorway. Built years ago with the works for a connection from the M2 to the south that was never built.
Yeah, and over here in the Scottish part of the UK, just about a quarter of our motorways are three lanes, and one of them (M90) doesn't have a hard shoulder for a significant stretch.

If we could steer the conversation back to the election rather than the state of the roads (SWIDT).

The Irish Times view on the presidential election: blurred lines at the Áras

I'll post the article since the IT is sometimes pay walled.

The Irish Times view on the presidential election: blurred lines at the Áras
Michael D Higgins should remove non-essential items from his official diary this month
Thu, Oct 4, 2018, 00:10

At Áras an Uachtaráin on Monday, Michael D Higgins and his wife Sabina hosted a “Latching On” morning as part of National Breastfeeding Week. You may have seen the pictures of the President amidst mothers and cute babies. On the same day, Higgins welcomed the homelessness activist Alice Leahy to the Phoenix Park, where she presented him with a copy of her new book.

Tomorrow he will address a festival on lifelong learning in Limerick, and the following day he will travel to Derry to speak at a conference to mark the 50th anniversary of the Civil Rights Movement. It will be a busy weekend: on Sunday, Higgins is due back in Dublin, where he will give a keynote address at the closing ceremony of the Dublin Festival of History.

This is partly why it’s hard to contest an election against a sitting president. Any of Higgins’s five rivals for the presidency would be forgiven for noting that the President’s diary this week touches on themes – young people, health, homelessness, education, civil rights and history – that will be key planks of his re-election platform. To many observers, the lines between Candidate Higgins and President Higgins appear a little blurred.

In fairness, many of these diary items were no doubt agreed a long time ago, and to cancel them would be to let people down. But surely Higgins should have been alive to the perception the current situation would create. Some appointments are essential and should be kept – last week, for example, the President hosted some minor British royals and this week he will appoint High Court judges. Others could have been rearranged.

This election is in effect a referendum on Higgins’s performance. Given that he is very popular, that works in his favour. From the outset, it has been clear that, in a comparatively weak field, the biggest obstacle to the incumbent’s re-election is complacency or self-inflicted damage. His performance so far has been assured but hardly flawless.

His response to disquiet about an unaudited €317,000 fund for Áras an Uachtaráin – he will submit details on how it is spent, but not until after the election – was insufficient. He claims to have no problem with disclosing more information on how the Áras spends its money but has not taken serious steps to do so. The presidency has a blanket exemption from the Freedom of Information Act, but that does not preclude a president from releasing information voluntarily.

Higgins will face big questions in this campaign. What will he do in a second seven-year term that he couldn’t do in the first? Why does he have such a high turnover of staff? How would his presidency adapt to reflect the problems facing Irish society today? He should move quickly to defuse relatively straightforward questions about money. And he should clear that diary.

Meanwhile some of the other candidates appear to be floundering about trying to score points off President Higgins

'I know RTÉ is a fan club for the President': Gavin Duffy in heated exchange with Sean O'Rourke

Poor Gavin Duffy doesn't realise that the President has no role in Brexit negotiations or indeed that, all things being equal, those negotiations won't be going on twelve months hence.

Golf Ball Casey appears to have given up after shooting himself in the foot with the environmentalists and having to have it explained to him that the President's driver is not something he gets to choose. He also endeared himself to the Proles by moving back to Ireland from his Atlanta mansion and buying two houses in Ireland. Although he seemed a little unsure of the address of one of them.

Frankly with just over two weeks to go the election is a bit of a damp squib. We could have done with a couple of nut jobs like Kevin Sharkey and Gemma O'Doherty on the ticket to amuse us with their off the comments.

DAS

Old-Salt
Gemma O'Doherty is a world class fruit loop. The comedic value would have been great. Yet again the county Councillors miss an opportunity & feck it up.

Gemma O'Doherty is a world class fruit loop. The comedic value would have been great. Yet again the county Councillors miss an opportunity & feck it up.

Kevin Sharkey would have been great. In common with most of the other candidates he hasn't a clue about the Constitution and proposed the introduction of the death penalty. He's also a former member of SF, is anti-immigration and anti-foreign aid. A black fascist President, what could go wrong?

Last edited:
Two weeks to Election Day and a Red C Poll gives President Higgins a marginal lead with 70% of respondents giving him their Number 1.

Sean Gallagher is a close second on 14%.

Joan Freeman - 6%

Liadh ni Riadha is on 5% which is a bit odd as she is way back on the SF vote.

Gavin Duffy - 4%

Peter Casey - 1%

'It was just so ridiculous ... I couldn't take it' - Heckler who interrupted RTÉ presidential debate - Independent.ie

Bunty's back. She interrupted the Presidential debate on RTE last night. She lent a some relevance to the debate which featured neither the man who's going to win nor the runner up. Michael D. was reportedly catching up on his Netflix shows. The whole thing was so traumatising to Liadh that she said she'd have no problem wearing a poppy. Does she not realise there's a European election next year.

Anyway Bunty, we can have too much of a good thing.

Two weeks to Election Day and a Red C Poll gives President Higgins a marginal lead with 70% of respondents giving him their Number 1.

Sean Gallagher is a close second on 14%.

Joan Freeman - 6%

Liadh ni Riadha is on 5% which is a bit odd as she is way back on the SF vote.

Gavin Duffy - 4%

Peter Casey - 1%
The whole things a joke,and an expensive one at that. For a country the size of it. When foreign dignitary's have to be greeted they should pick some citizen at random, strategically shave them,where necessary, buy them appropriate clothing and give them a crash course in etiquette and table manners. and unleash them for the day. Be a lot more economic in the long run,and should provide some comedy gold.;)

Yeah, and over here in the Scottish part of the UK, just about a quarter of our motorways are three lanes, and one of them (M90) doesn't have a hard shoulder for a significant stretch.
Theres two M1's in Ireland. The one in the North runs East to West to avoid going South,and the one in the South runs North to avoid the cost of living.:)