• This is a stand-to for an incoming competition, one of our most expensive yet.
    Later this week we're going to be offering the opportunity to Win £270 Rab Neutrino Pro military down jacket
    Visit the thread at that link above and Watch it to be notified as soon as the competition goes live

Ireland - Presidential election

There was a time when Ireland was keen to leave an unwanted union (a brief period from 1100 to 1921). Surely the Irish understand Brexit, given that?
There are no parallels between Ireland in the UK and the UK in the EU. The UK is in the EU by choice, Ireland was in the UK by virtue of military conquest. Britain's wailing about wanting to be free and Mrs May wittering about not wanting to break up her country caused some howls of mirth this side of the Irish sea.

If you wanted a lesson from Irish history on the perils of leaving a Union, the economic disaster that was Ireland from 1922 to 1973 would be the lesson to learn. The economic illiterates that took us out of the UK also launched a trade war with Britain in the 30s. Not coincidentally six of my mothers brothers and sisters died before the age of 5 at that time, basically of malnutrition. Freedom is no substitute for a full belly.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
There are no parallels between Ireland in the UK and the UK in the EU. The UK is in the EU by choice, Ireland was in the UK by virtue of military conquest. Britain's wailing about wanting to be free and Mrs May wittering about not wanting to break up her country caused some howls of mirth this side of the Irish sea.

If you wanted a lesson from Irish history on the perils of leaving a Union, the economic disaster that was Ireland from 1922 to 1973 would be the lesson to learn. The economic illiterates that took us out of the UK also launched a trade war with Britain in the 30s. Not coincidentally six of my mothers brothers and sisters died before the age of 5 at that time, basically of malnutrition. Freedom is no substitute for a full belly.
So, Ireland left the UK, but wanted and kept many of the benefits of being a UK citizen. Where else in the world can citizens of a completely different country vote in the elections of another country - EU rules notwithstanding, the Irish way has been going since before the EU.

Ireland has a symbiotic relationship with the UK - how do you think they will fare post brexit if they cut ties with the UK and follow the Gnomes of Brussels? Will the EU step in and become their comfort blanket in the same way and extent that the UK has?

I am (genuinely) sorry to learn about your mother's siblings.
I can't disagree with your post except that, in 1100, the mainland was itself occupied by Normans. We were under a yolk too though, over the following years, the invaders merged with the native English (to an extent - Norman families still have wealth and land dating from 1066).

So, Ireland left the UK, but wanted and kept many of the benefits of being a UK citizen. Where else in the world can citizens of a completely different country vote in the elections of another country - EU rules notwithstanding, the Irish way has been going since before the EU.

Ireland has a symbiotic relationship with the UK - how do you think they will fare post brexit if they cut ties with the UK and follow the Gnomes of Brussels? Will the EU step in and become their comfort blanket in the same way and extent that the UK has?
I know. Ireland and the UK have had and hopefully will continue to have a close and mutually-beneficial relationship. But we're a grown up country and shouldn't need comfort blankets from anyone.

That said the UK can leave the EU while keeping most of the benefits of membership as long as they agree to the EU's terms and conditions. In 1921 Ireland's relationship with the EU depended on agreeing to partition, the Monarch as Head of State and the continued occupation of the Treaty Ports as the price. We also, thanks to the treaty imposed by Britain, ended up fighting a civil war which still rankles in some quarters today. By contrast the price of Brexit should be easily paid.

I am (genuinely) sorry to learn about your mother's siblings.
Thank you. Their deaths were never talked about in the family until my uncle discovered their death certificates in the 1990s. To me they illustrate the long-term suffering caused by a needless revolution.

I can't disagree with your post except that, in 1100, the mainland was itself occupied by Normans. We were under a yolk too though, over the following years, the invaders merged with the native English (to an extent - Norman families still have wealth and land dating from 1066).
Indeed the Normans were quite quickly assimilated into Irish society. Many Irish surnames like Burke, Fitzgerald, Walsh, Barry and Power are Norman names. The benefits of belonging to the Norman Empire far outweighed the disadvantages.

In Ireland..... it works both ways

It isn’t Ireland cutting the ties it is the UK

There wouldn’t be a motorway in this country if it wasn’t for EU funds

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
In Ireland..... it works both ways

It isn’t Ireland cutting the ties it is the UK

There wouldn’t be a motorway in this country if it wasn’t for EU funds
Where does this wonderous motorway go?

BTW if a border goes up it will be at the behest of the EU, so it will be Ireland at the beck and call of their Masters, cutting the umbilical cord!

BTW if a border goes up it will be at the behest of the EU, so it will be Ireland at the beck and call of their Masters, cutting the umbilical cord!
Which wouldn't happen but for Brexit.

overopensights

ADC
Book Reviewer
Since God Knows when, consecutive British Governments have sucked up to the DUP and their predecessors, like recently displayed, they need their votes in Parliament. I can't see it ever happening, but if that situation ever ends, then there may be different thinking regarding a united Ireland. The nearest it ever got to being united post 1921/22 was under the EU. I often wonder how the new arrangements after Brexit, whatever they may be, will effect both the North and the South?

Since God Knows when, consecutive British Governments have sucked up to the DUP and their predecessors, like recently displayed, they need their votes in Parliament. I can't see it ever happening, but if that situation ever ends, then there may be different thinking regarding a united Ireland. The nearest it ever got to being united post 1921/22 was under the EU. I often wonder how the new arrangements after Brexit, whatever they may be, will effect both the North and the South?
IMO a lot depends on whether or not a hard border results from Brexit. Whether the UK or EU imposes the border will be irrelevant. IRA hardliners will see it as an abandonment of the GFA and a failure of the so-called peace process. The people of NI could be in for interesting times again.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
IMO a lot depends on whether or not a hard border results from Brexit. Whether the UK or EU imposes the border will be irrelevant. IRA hardliners will see it as an abandonment of the GFA and a failure of the so-called peace process. The people of NI could be in for interesting times again.
Why just NI, they would surely have the hump with both sides of the border in that case, or are they leaving their safe hiding places alone?

The dirty tricks campaign begins.

Executive at controversial US company gave presidential hopeful Freeman €120k loan - Independent.ie

One wonders what Des Walsh hopes to get in return for the loan.

Meanwhile the Public Accounts Committee chose an odd time to check up on the President's accounts.

Ministers accuse watchdog of 'cynical' and 'partisan' inquiry into Áras costs - Independent.ie

The line up for the election is the six people mentioned already as candidates, all others having failed to get a nomination.

odoherty tweet.png

Meanwhile Celebrity Nutter Gemma O'Doherty has tweeted her thanks to 11 members of the Oireachtas who nominated her as a Candidate. Poor Gemma appears to be unaware that we'll be choosing a President on 26th October inspite of the fact that she is not on the Ballot paper.

'It's like attacking Santa Claus when you say anything negative about him' - Peter Casey critical of President at campaign launch - Independent.ie

Peter "Golf Balls" Casey launched his campaign with an ad hominem attack on Mr. Higgins. The three Dragons all seem to think they're Donald Trump.

Casey, who came in for some criticism last week for posting a video of himself driving a golf ball into Lough Foyle. subsequently tweeted that he swam out to retrieve the ball two days later. That's quite a feat there Peter.

[B]Peter Casey[/B]‏Verified account @[B]CaseyPeterJ[/B] Sep 30
Let it not be said that I do not listen to the voters’ concerns. This morning I plunged into Lough Foyle and retrieved the golf ball. It was frigid, but it was a nice way to quickly wake up.