Ireland - Presidential election

Depends on the election

See Elections in the Republic of Ireland - Wikipedia

Eligibility to vote section. Nice little table that for the life of me I can't post here.

You assertion that you can vote in the Irish presidential election without Irish citizenship (passport holder or eligible to hold a passport) because you are American is incorrect. I double checked on citizensinformation.ie to be sure.
You also have to reside in Ireland

13.7% of your country voted for a murdering drug dealing thug (who was also a tout) to become president suggests you have quite a few fuckwits in your country.
I wouldn't mind having a go on her mind, she's got a quality "nipple-on" in that photo.

You assertion that you can vote in the Irish presidential election without Irish citizenship (passport holder or eligible to hold a passport) because you are American is incorrect. I double checked on citizensinformation.ie to be sure.
Was kidding buddy, in case you didn't get it.

An estimated six million people living in the UK have at least one Irish grandparent which is a qualification for Irish citizenship.

33 million Americans claim Irish ancestry only a percentage of them get in on the Granny rule. But even if that was just 10% it would be another 3.3 million. There are 5 million Irish-Canadians and anything from 2 million to 7 million Irish-Australians.

How can all these people be administered if they choose to vote?

And the Presidential vote is just the start. There is a plan, if that crackpot idea passes, to create a "Diaspora Constituency" in the Dáil so that Americans and Aussies can be represented in the Oireachtas and no doubt the European Parliament.

Last edited:

DAS

Old-Salt
Yup he was hard to find - being so small. Funniest thing I ever saw was Michael D walking Dun laoghaire pier followed by a huge Garda protection officer. Little and large doesn't begin to describe it.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
I wasn't born in Ireland but having been sent there as a nineteen year old I could say a significant part of my growing up* happened there! Does that qualify me?

*Quiet at the back there!

ugly

LE
I wasn't born in Ireland but having been sent there as a nineteen year old I could say a significant part of my growing up* happened there! Does that qualify me?

*Quiet at the back there!
Mostly that was serving with Cromwell The oliver not the tank!

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Mostly that was serving with Cromwell The oliver not the tank!
Oh dear, another one off the Christmas Card list! :rolleyes:

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
What is the purpose and usefulness of Ireland?

Answers on a postage stamp.

The president of Ireland gets more salary than the PM of the UK (~170k EUR). That's nice.
Not a like-for-like comparison. As HoS, you need to compare against HMQ. I suspect she receives a tad more than that.

Mind you, even the Irish PM gets more than the UK equivalent, at €185,350 but you need to factor in all the additional perks which may be substantially more than the base salary suggests.

Source: Taoiseach - Wikipedia

There's a referendum coming up next year that, if passed, would allow Irish citizens abroad to vote in Presidential elections. In fact anyone with an Irish granny could apply for an Irish passport and then vote in the election. This would potentially make the part of the electorate that has never even visited Ireland bigger than the part that actually lives here.
Mayor of Boston this year, Taoiseach of the RoI next year.

Not a like-for-like comparison. As HoS, you need to compare against HMQ. I suspect she receives a tad more than that.

Mind you, even the Irish PM gets more than the UK equivalent, at €185,350 but you need to factor in all the additional perks which may be substantially more than the base salary suggests.

Source: Taoiseach - Wikipedia
the President only gets the one free gaff

The Taoiseach doesn’t get one but probably expenses several

Sean Gallagher is the second most popular candidate on 15%. A former long-time member of Fianna Fail he left the party in 2011 to run in the Presidential election in which he got 28.5% of the vote. Gallagher was leading the polls at times in 2011 but he made a balls of a television debate when answering a question about a SF allegation that he had accepted a donation of €5,000 for Fianna Fail from an Armagh criminal and fuel smuggler. With a shaky career in real estate and on a reality television show Gallagher must see himself as some kind of Donald Trump.
I was racking my brain and now I know who this guy reminded me of..