Ireland - Presidential election

The election will take place on Friday 26th October 2018. There's a bit of interest in the top job which has a salary of around €250 grand a year attached and a pension of half that once you're finished and the duties are not onerous, rubber stamping legislation, greeting dignitaries and the like. Currently there are five nominees. If the sitting President wants to run for a second term he can nominate him or herself. Otherwise you'll need the signatures of 20 members of the Dáil and/ Seanad or the nomination of 4 local authorities.

The nomination process can be entertaining. As referred to in the Irish Headline thread Bunty Twuntingdon McFluff caused some outrage with her pitch to Dublin City Council last week
https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/irish-headline-of-the-day.249762/page-54#post-8798883

Sitting President Michael D. Higgins (that's him on the left), nominated himself and is likely to get re-elected if the polls can be believed (67% yesterday). Former Senator, TD and government Minister, if any controversy attached to him it would have come out in 2011. Also has the support of the two biggest parties in the Dáil and the rump of the Labour Party that survived the general election in 2016. The only thing he has against him is his age, he's 77. So there's a good possibility of a state funeral before 2025.

The Provos nominated their candidate in the shape of one Liadh ní Riadha, SF MEP from Cork. Liadh marked her card last year in a Hot Press interview where she refused to describe IRA activities as terrorism. A cleanskin and a woman, SF will be hoping she can improve on Marty McGuinness's embarrassing 13.7% in 2011. I doubt it to be honest and yesterday's poll, which was held before her nomination, revealed only 7% support for a SF candidate.

Joan Freeman is an independent Senator, psychologist and founder of Pieta House, a suicide charity. May well have shot herself in the foot by claiming the Virgin Mary cured her Eczema as a teenager. Polled at 3%.

Sean Gallagher is the second most popular candidate on 15%. A former long-time member of Fianna Fail he left the party in 2011 to run in the Presidential election in which he got 28.5% of the vote. Gallagher was leading the polls at times in 2011 but he made a balls of a television debate when answering a question about a SF allegation that he had accepted a donation of €5,000 for Fianna Fail from an Armagh criminal and fuel smuggler. With a shaky career in real estate and on a reality television show Gallagher must see himself as some kind of Donald Trump.

Gavin Duffy, businessman and fellow Dragon's Den star alongside Gallagher. He has risen without trace on 6%.

There might be a few more candidates if they can get nominations from 4 of the remaining local authorities.

The Provos nominated their candidate in the shape of one Liadh ní Riadha, SF MEP from Cork. Liadh marked her card last year in a Hot Press interview where she refused to describe IRA activities as terrorism. A cleanskin and a woman, SF will be hoping she can improve on Marty McGuinness's embarrassing 13.7% in 2011.
13.7% of your country voted for a murdering drug dealing thug (who was also a tout) to become president suggests you have quite a few fuckwits in your country.

CanteenCowboy

LE
Book Reviewer
I’m more surprised about SF allegations of donations of money from a “criminal” figure and “fuel smuggler” from Armagh. In my experience anyone involved in that sort of activity in Armagh would need to have extensive and close links with SF if they wanted to stay alive.

13.7% of your country voted for a murdering drug dealing thug (who was also a tout) to become president suggests you have quite a few fuckwits in your country.
No shortage of them, that's true. I was surprised he didn't do better to be honest. Although SF only got 9.9% in the 2011 general election so Marty did comparitively well. SF are really building on the "Peace Process" now. I'll be surprised if Ní Riadha doesn't hit the 20% mark once she gets campaigning and SF will expect similar in the next GE and the possibility of government as junior coalition partner.

There's a referendum coming up next year that, if passed, would allow Irish citizens abroad to vote in Presidential elections. SF are all for it because of course all those SF voters in NI (238,915 in 2017) would get to vote for the SF candidate which would have doubled Marty's vote in 2011. In fact anyone with an Irish granny could apply for an Irish passport and then vote in the election. This would potentially make the part of the electorate that has never even visited Ireland bigger than the part that actually lives here.

Last edited:

CanteenCowboy

LE
Book Reviewer
No shortage of them, that's true. I was surprised he didn't do better to be honest. Although SF only got 9.9% in the 2011 general election so Marty did quite well. SF are really building on the "Peace Process" now. I'll be surprised if Ní Riadha doesn't hit the 20% mark once she gets campaigning and SF will expect similar in the next GE and the possibility of government as junior coalition partner.

There's a referendum coming up next year that, if passed, would allow Irish citizens abroad to vote in Presidential elections. SF are all for it because of course all those SF voters in NI (238,915 in 2017) would get to vote for the SF candidate which would have doubled Marty's vote in 2011. In fact anyone with an Irish granny could apply for an Irish passport and then vote in the election. This would potentially make the part of the electorate that has never even visited Ireland bigger than the part that actually lives here.
My mother was born in Co Tyrone, does that qualify me for an Irish Passport? Her mother’s side of the family were “renowned” in the local area for easy animal stock transfers with the minimum fuss, paperwork and sometimes without the owners knowledge.

I’m more surprised about SF allegations of donations of money from a “criminal” figure and “fuel smuggler” from Armagh. In my experience anyone involved in that sort of activity in Armagh would need to have extensive and close links with SF if they wanted to stay alive.
I have no doubt that Morgan's links with SF and the Provos are deep and long-standing.

My mother was born in Co Tyrone, does that qualify me for an Irish Passport? ....
Yes it does AFAIK. From the Department of Foreign Affairs website

If you were born outside the island of Ireland and if either of your parents was an Irish citizen who was born in the island of Ireland, then you are entitled to Irish citizenship, and entitled to apply for an Irish passport under Irish law, irrespective of where you reside.
UK Referendum - Citizenship & Passport FAQs - Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade

An election contested by religious kooks, terrorism supporters & celebs. Ireland: twinned with Pakistan.
Since your country elects Shinners, the creationists and ethnic cleansing enthusiasts of the DUP as well as the odd celebrity, I'd put your statement in the People who live in glass houses category.

The election will take place on Friday 26th October 2018. There's a bit of interest in the top job which has a salary of around €250 grand a year attached and a pension of half that once you're finished and the duties are not onerous, rubber stamping legislation, greeting dignitaries and the like.
The president of Ireland gets more salary than the PM of the UK (~170k EUR). That's nice.

I don't have an Irish passport but as an American I can vote, so no problem for me.

But what about UK (non-NI) citizens in general? Can they vote? I know the Irish can, in the UK elections.

The president of Ireland gets more salary than the PM of the UK (~170k EUR). That's nice.
I googled it to be sure and it seems that President Higgins gets €250,000 a year only because he requested a wage cut in 2011. The official figure is €325,000 which is almost what the US President gets.

Michael D can anticipate a comfortable retirement as in addition to his Presidential pension of €125 K he'll be getting pensions from his time as a University Lecturer, Senator, TD and a ministerial top up. So he'll be up and around €230 k in pensions if he takes the lot.

I don't have an Irish passport but as an American I can vote, so no problem for me.

But what about UK (non-NI) citizens in general? Can they vote? I know the Irish can, in the UK elections.
British citizens resident in Ireland may vote at Dáil, European and local elections. But not in referendums.
European Union (EU) citizens may vote at European and local elections
Non-EU citizens may vote at local elections only.

DAS

Old-Salt

Depends on the election

See Elections in the Republic of Ireland - Wikipedia

Eligibility to vote section. Nice little table that for the life of me I can't post here.

You assertion that you can vote in the Irish presidential election without Irish citizenship (passport holder or eligible to hold a passport) because you are American is incorrect. I double checked on citizensinformation.ie to be sure.