Ireland’s Vanishing Triangle - missing women in 1990s

This reminds me of the thread on 800 unmarked graves of infants thanks to the holier than thou catholic attitude to single Mothers in Irrland thread and the mass cover up, bordering on infanticide.

So we have a series of disappearances and looks like the communities (and probably Garda )have closed ranks because of the usual Bs and stigma.

any thoughts ?

cheers

chimera

LE
Don't read the Daily Mail for a start.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Lets look at the evidence so far

Crime author Claire McGowan,

a new audiobook

and lets not forget

bodies have never been found

so obviously it's a series of murders.

2/10 must do better, see David Ike for proper conspiracy theories

Three of them were probably killed by Larry Murphy, some of the rest may have been domestic incidents, a possibility of suicide in others.

Not sure how the Catholic Church comes into it, there's no connection whatsoever, as no bodies were ever discovered there was very little for the police to go on, there is nothing to suggest a cover-up.

People go missing all the time, I dare say if you examined a similar sized part of England over the same period you would also find a lot of missing women who have never been located.

theoriginalphantom

MIA
Book Reviewer
Three of them were probably killed by Larry Murphy, some of the rest may have been domestic incidents, a possibility of suicide in others.

Not sure how the Catholic Church comes into it, there's no connection whatsoever, as no bodies were ever discovered there was very little for the police to go on, there is nothing to suggest a cover-up.

People go missing all the time, I dare say if you examined a similar sized part of England over the same period you would also find a lot of missing women who have never been located.

that attitude isn't going to sell audio books

This reminds me of the thread on 800 unmarked graves of infants thanks to the holier than thou catholic attitude to single Mothers in Irrland thread and the mass cover up, bordering on infanticide.

So we have a series of disappearances and looks like the communities (and probably Garda )have closed ranks because of the usual Bs and stigma.

any thoughts ?

cheers
I do hope that none came to harm but how many missing persons reports in total, male and female? It may show that these eight have not been cherry picked by the author, plus, not everybody who goes missing is victim of foul play, some just up sticks to get away from their families or partners.

Maybe she should research better

Unless you have been living under a rock in the Republic for the last 30 years you’ve heard of at least 4 of those poor women

Last edited:
Gardai need evidence

any thoughts ?

cheers
it’s nothing to do with the Church, attitudes etc

Lets look at the evidence so far

and lets not forget

so obviously it's a series of murders.

2/10 must do better, see David Ike for proper conspiracy theories

Errr, how does one go about whipping up a scandalous frenzy to generate sale of a new book...?

Asking for a friend you understand...

What? Me? A new book, with a scandal that could be whipped up into a big storm, but is currently unknown? Nooooo not me.

I do hope that none came to harm but how many missing persons reports in total, male and female? It may show that these eight have not been cherry picked by the author, plus, not everybody who goes missing is victim of foul play, some just up sticks to get away from their families or partners.
Back in 1980 I was studying law. A module we did ( which was more interesting than I thought it could possibly be was sociology)
Two points have lodged in my brain from a lecture at the time ( pre 24 hr rolling news and pre internet)
Since the beginning of semi reliable records ( mid C19), The number of unsolved missing persons per annum in Britain has remained remarkably constant. Iirc it was about 600 p/ a though of course many of those would just be properly dropped of the radar for a new life.
The second was child abduction and murder by persons unknown to the family. This similarily was a remarkably consistent number , averaging about 6 a year.
The lecturer did comment that the media ( 1980 remember) was ramping the histeria up with every new case however , and she did wonder about the mortality rate of children then when they grew old due to diabeties etc due to less exercise as panicked parents no longer let many walk to school or go out to play for the day unsupervised.
precient.
apologise for a bit of drift.

My sister's closest friend at school came from a farming family. Despite their closeness they rarely talked about anything other than what interested young teenagers then, (late 1970s) and now. The only indication of any trouble at home was one night when the girls father appeared at our house, drunk, and demanded that she go home with him. My Mum saw him off. A few months later, shortly after turning 16, she emptied her savings account and disappeared. She didn't tell anyone - not even my sister or her own little brother who she was closest to. The police showed an interest but found no evidence of foul play. Her little brother never stopped looking even into manhood.

About 10 years after her disappearance a mutual school friend was having a coffee in a London cafe and, sitting down at a table, made eye contact with and immediately recognised her school friend. She was well and had made a successful life for herself but gave no details and showed neither remorse or interest in the turmoil she had left behind. She made it clear that she wanted no contact with her past. We can only speculate on what drove her to that but I admire her resolve to survive.

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
My gran was Irish and I can tell you that quite a number of Irish girls disappeared simply to get away from a life of drudgery. It's been going on since the 1920s as far as I know. One of her extended family did just that in the 1950s walking out from a farm in Sligo one day. She turned up 20-odd years later in Liverpool [long story] and had been working on a cruise liner out of Cork IIRC.

Her reason for leaving was that she hated living on an isolated farm with minimal creature comforts, being treated as a slave by her father, getting up at 5am 7 days a week to look after the cows and being expected to get married to some potato head from the next farm and never getting further from home than the market at Enniskillen.

As far as I'm aware, she never went back to Sligo and my gran was the only member of the family she had seen since she walked out, and that only by chance.

Mr_Fingerz

LE
Book Reviewer
Last edited:
There are currently >60 women listed as missing in Ireland.

some I’m sure don’t want to be found, some I’m sure will have had accidents and died, some will have committed suicide and no doubt some have been murdered. Most people are murdered by someone they know (but not exclusively). The same can be said for any society

My sister's closest friend at school came from a farming family. Despite their closeness they rarely talked about anything other than what interested young teenagers then, (late 1970s) and now. The only indication of any trouble at home was one night when the girls father appeared at our house, drunk, and demanded that she go home with him. My Mum saw him off. A few months later, shortly after turning 16, she emptied her savings account and disappeared. She didn't tell anyone - not even my sister or her own little brother who she was closest to. The police showed an interest but found no evidence of foul play. Her little brother never stopped looking even into manhood.

About 10 years after her disappearance a mutual school friend was having a coffee in a London cafe and, sitting down at a table, made eye contact with and immediately recognised her school friend. She was well and had made a successful life for herself but gave no details and showed neither remorse or interest in the turmoil she had left behind. She made it clear that she wanted no contact with her past. We can only speculate on what drove her to that but I admire her resolve to survive.
My gran was Irish and I can tell you that quite a number of Irish girls disappeared simply to get away from a life of drudgery. It's been going on since the 1920s as far as I know. One of her extended family did just that in the 1950s walking out from a farm in Sligo one day. She turned up 20-odd years later in Liverpool [long story] and had been working on a cruise liner out of Cork IIRC.

Her reason for leaving was that she hated living on an isolated farm with minimal creature comforts, being treated as a slave by her father, getting up at 5am 7 days a week to look after the cows and being expected to get married to some potato head from the next farm and never getting further from home than the market at Enniskillen.

As far as I'm aware, she never went back to Sligo and my gran was the only member of the family she had seen since she walked out, and that only by chance.
They happen to be Irish instances… happens everywhere

There are currently >60 women listed as missing in Ireland.

some I’m sure don’t want to be found, some I’m sure will have had accidents and died, some will have committed suicide and no doubt some have been murdered. Most people are murdered by someone they know (but not exclusively). The same can be said for any society
Or pregnant in the wrong decades in the wrong country.

Latest Threads