Iraqis havent right to complain about electricity.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by KGB_resident, Dec 12, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

2. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

...and if they do, under their next regime, this is what is likely to happen: should come and visit Wales sometime Sergey bach - very beautiful, and surprisingly remote in parts....bit like the Caucasus with less gunfire :)
  3. I'm sure Wales is a wonderful place, where people is open-hearted and nature (at least in some places) hasn't been damaged by civilisation. Yes of course help to Iraqi people is of the highest priority but some (not many of course) are waiting help in the UK.
  4. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

The difference between these folk (fourth generation Welsh hill farmers) and the Iraqis ( or Chechens,Ingush and Ossetians come to that) is that the Llewellyn family could have had electric light anytime in the last twenty years if they were prepared to pay South Wales Electricity Board for the cost of connection :)

additional detail at

- or at if your Welsh is up to it !

The piece ( recycled by the US journo in time honoured fashion) is part of the enduring American notion of lil' old Britainshire....a quaint sleepy hollow,casting by Disney, where people call each other 'Old chap', every male over thirty wears a tweed jacket with elbow patches and car-jacking is unheard of......I could probably find a hundred households in Appalachia that don't bother with paying an electric company to connect to the main grid (Come ON Washington Post - that MUST be worth an airticket ! ).....and whilst there is plenty of poverty to be found here in Her Majesty's United Kingdom , Sergey, I have yet to see anyone not engaged in the tourist industry using donkeys as the primary form of transport, as I saw in cosmopolitan 21st century Greece this summer.......and in Iraq in 2003.

Na Zdroviye !

5. Picking up on Goatman's post (thank you for the PM by the way: I'll be in touch.) about the 'Merican view of Olde Englande: this does have a positive spin to it. I found that beuing in the US and wearing No1 Dress with all the trimmings plus adopting an accent that made Lesley Phillips seem lees than salacious and Noel Coward a bit rough trade I was, for the first and probably only time in my miserable life, having to beat off the females of the species (plus a bloke from California) with a proverbial sh*tty stick.
  6. As I understand these men and woman are not as rich as mr.Abramovitch and 20000 Pounds is a very big money for them. So it is a bit strange that while British government is helping Iraqi people (including electricity) Britons (only 300km from London) must pay for electrification without any help.

In Soviet times Ossetia, Chechnya, Ingushetia and many other places were supplied by local power-grids and only very remote mountaneos settelments hadn't electicity (it would be too expensive). I have heard that restoration of power-grid in Chechnya is near to end. This task is regarded in Moscow as very important. 2003-03-21

I have heard that something about $50-60mln. per year is being spent for electrification in Chechnya.
  8. Probably you joke. There is no street lightings but there is internet?

My parents were born in vilagges in West Siberia (Tomsk area). Typical distance between villages in my parents' homeland is 20-30 km. In 60's electrification of rural areas there was mainly completed.

This tiny village in Wales is probably a rare exception. I believe that almost whole UK had been electrified long ago.
  9. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

10. Ah...Communism is Soviet power and electrification! So said Vladimir Ilyich Lenin...

More seriously, there are villages in the Yorkshire Dales that only got a mains water supply this year. Personally, if I was starting from scratch I'd get solar panels and a Rutland wind turbine. Who needs a grid?
  11. We might not all have mains electricity but at least we're not lining up around the block to be paid in feckin' potatoes.
  12. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

or in your locale, alfalfa salads washed down with Evian ( " potatoes? how GROSS - just THINK of the carbo-loading-BLEAGH ! " ) :lol:
  13. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

An ex-crab friend of mine now farms organically in North Yorkshire. He has a wind turbine, and not only does he have no electricity bills, any surplus power is sold to the National Grid. Apparently the contraption will pay for itself in fairly short order.

I had a similar experience to Rickshaw whilst visiting relatives in the mid-west of Spamland. There's something about being there that makes me determined to be even more English. Dress uncompromisingly Terry-Thomas stylee (pocket handkerchief de-rigeur) and BBC Home Service voice worked a treat with the girlies. I even got offered a job selling Jagwars!
  14. If it is Mariinsky ballet then no doubt, it is worth to see. Mariinsky was Emprror's theatre (before revolution St.Petersburg was Russian capital). It has more that 220 years history.

There is well-known rivalty among Moscow and St.Petersbug ballet schools. Alas I myself haven't see Mariinsky ballet live (only on TV). They are rare guests in Moscow and there is a lot of other ballets are in my city.

15. Actually, there is no internet either Sergey - I trek about 40 km to work (sometimes if I am lucky I will get a ride part of the way on the villagessole tractor) and once I am there I can access the magic that is the internet. Sorry, that was a feeble attempt at levity. I elected - as Goatman has already explained - to getaway from the urban sprawl. Once I complete my service it is my plan (Mrs Rickshaw notwithstanding) to escape further. The Inner Hebrides or New Zealand are both strong contenders at the mo'.