Iraqies to share £3m MOD compensation.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by spike7451, Jul 10, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Ten Iraqies are sharing the £3million compensation payout,
    Whilst the death of anybody not engaged in combat is deplorable,is the level of compensation appropriate considering what our wounded get?
    What my maths is bad but £2.83Mil ./.10 = £283k each?.

Broon Broadcasting Cuntany

edited for being a mong!

2. msr

msr LE

And the murder of an innocent civilian by the British Army doesn't?

3. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

(Extracts foot from mouth)

Yes it does,the death of anyone is needless & unwarrented unless they are engaged in acts that are likely to cause injury or death to others.But my main issue here is the level of compensation that they are getting.Obviously the soldier/s who done this despicable act have shamed the British Forces,their country,Regiment & comrades & they deserve all they got.
    But it seems the compensation culture is rearing it's ugly head again inthat lets throw loads of money at them & they'll go away.

4. I hear what you say but if we get too outraged about the "compensation culture", we may find ourselves arguing against compensation for injured troops or the dependants of the dead.

Relevant link: 'Military Claims' from BAFF's solicitors. No apologies for seeking the best possible outcome for our members, and injured personnel in general.

And we are speaking up for Iraqi interpreters and other former local staff who are in extra danger because they worked for British military or FCO.

5. More anti-British p!sh from the BBC.
    "The Ministry of Defence (MoD) has agreed to pay almost £3m in damages to Iraqis who were TORTURED by UK troops in Basra in 2003, their solicitors say.

Nine Iraqi men who were MISTREATED..."

So in two sentences it can go from torture to mistreatment! In reality it was probably neither.

6. msr

msr LE

Of course it wasn't, he smashed his own nose and then hit himself 93 times....

msr

7. Please give your interpretation of what happened to these people.

8. But Spike 7451 has a point - which is that the compensation offered to our own people is woefully inadequate anyway. I think that many will be looking at the actual figures and making comparisons.

That is not to condone the actions of those who were responsible - and as we all know, there are some who remain unidentified and uncharged.

9. Took him 93 attempts to answer the question correctly, I take it?

10. how come the MoD are quick enough to back down and give them £3mil compo, but wont back down to give extra to our own injured . SPINELESS

11. Numbers Ripley, and possibly the fairly clear case of Human Rights breaches in the case. Although, it does make one wonder how many former / serving pers, will now pursue a HR mandate, as a means to an end, where "conventional" claims are not upheld?

I agree on the "SPINELESS" comment though - one could venture that HMG's own lack of focus / resources / knowledge, leads directly to soldiers not knowing where they stand (and this does not condone in any manner the actions that took place). This situation and HMG's "head in the sand" attitude has cost the British effort in Iraq more than the £2.83m.

On the basis of the HR breach involved, how long after those truly responsible for enabling an environment in which a case such as this could be bought will be in court?

Messrs Blair, Hoon, Brown, Browne, Ainsworth and Twigg. Wouldn't it be interesting, if they were "forced" to give evidence?

12. One could also venture that the QLR's murdering scum has cost the British effort in Iraq more than the £2.83m. And how much more in gifted PR to our enemies?

The same shitbags who (apart from one) can't even stand up and admit what happened.

13. If the compensation would be paid 3 years ago then the case would be forgotten soon.

14. firstly things like abuse should not happen, what crimes did the people who are being abused?
    still does not account for iraqis to get more compensation than our injured soldiers coming back from iraq and afhgan.

15. firstly things like abuse should not happen, what crimes did the people commit who are being abused?
    still does not account for iraqis to get more compensation than our injured soldiers coming back from iraq and afhgan.