Iraqies to share £3m MOD compensation.

Ten Iraqies are sharing the £3million compensation payout,
Whilst the death of anybody not engaged in combat is deplorable,is the level of compensation appropriate considering what our wounded get?
What my maths is bad but £2.83Mil ./.10 = £283k each?.

Broon Broadcasting Cuntany

The Ministry of Defence has agreed to pay almost £3m in damages to Iraqis who were tortured by UK troops in Basra in 2003, their solicitors say.

Nine Iraqi men who were mistreated and the father of a man beaten to death in custody will share £2.83m in compensation.

The payout came after two days of negotiations between lawyers for the group and the MoD.

In March the MoD admitted breaching the human rights of the abused Iraqis.

At that time, Defence Secretary Des Browne said the government admitted "substantive breaches" of parts of the European Convention on Human Rights which protect the right to life and prohibit torture.

BBC correspondent Angus Crawford said it was unclear how the compensation would be divided between the 10 men, and the solicitors were pleased that an amicable settlement had been reached.

The Ministry of Defence is yet to comment on the compensation.

Court martial

One of the men was Baha Mousa, a 26-year-old hotel receptionist was beaten to death in September 2003.

edited for being a mong!

spike7451 said:
This gets my blood boiling!
And the murder of an innocent civilian by the British Army doesn't?

msr said:
spike7451 said:
This gets my blood boiling!
And the murder of an innocent civilian by the British Army doesn't?
(Extracts foot from mouth)

Yes it does,the death of anyone is needless & unwarrented unless they are engaged in acts that are likely to cause injury or death to others.But my main issue here is the level of compensation that they are getting.Obviously the soldier/s who done this despicable act have shamed the British Forces,their country,Regiment & comrades & they deserve all they got.
But it seems the compensation culture is rearing it's ugly head again inthat lets throw loads of money at them & they'll go away.

I hear what you say but if we get too outraged about the "compensation culture", we may find ourselves arguing against compensation for injured troops or the dependants of the dead.

Relevant link: 'Military Claims' from BAFF's solicitors. No apologies for seeking the best possible outcome for our members, and injured personnel in general.

And we are speaking up for Iraqi interpreters and other former local staff who are in extra danger because they worked for British military or FCO.

More anti-British p!sh from the BBC.
"The Ministry of Defence (MoD) has agreed to pay almost £3m in damages to Iraqis who were TORTURED by UK troops in Basra in 2003, their solicitors say.

Nine Iraqi men who were MISTREATED..."

So in two sentences it can go from torture to mistreatment! In reality it was probably neither.

xmal said:
In reality it was probably neither.
Of course it wasn't, he smashed his own nose and then hit himself 93 times....

msr

xmal said:
More anti-British p!sh from the BBC.
"The Ministry of Defence (MoD) has agreed to pay almost £3m in damages to Iraqis who were TORTURED by UK troops in Basra in 2003, their solicitors say.

Nine Iraqi men who were MISTREATED..."

So in two sentences it can go from torture to mistreatment! In reality it was probably neither.
Please give your interpretation of what happened to these people.

But Spike 7451 has a point - which is that the compensation offered to our own people is woefully inadequate anyway. I think that many will be looking at the actual figures and making comparisons.

That is not to condone the actions of those who were responsible - and as we all know, there are some who remain unidentified and uncharged.

how come the MoD are quick enough to back down and give them £3mil compo, but wont back down to give extra to our own injured . SPINELESS

ripley said:
how come the MoD are quick enough to back down and give them £3mil compo, but wont back down to give extra to our own injured . SPINELESS
Numbers Ripley, and possibly the fairly clear case of Human Rights breaches in the case. Although, it does make one wonder how many former / serving pers, will now pursue a HR mandate, as a means to an end, where "conventional" claims are not upheld?

I agree on the "SPINELESS" comment though - one could venture that HMG's own lack of focus / resources / knowledge, leads directly to soldiers not knowing where they stand (and this does not condone in any manner the actions that took place). This situation and HMG's "head in the sand" attitude has cost the British effort in Iraq more than the £2.83m.

On the basis of the HR breach involved, how long after those truly responsible for enabling an environment in which a case such as this could be bought will be in court?

Messrs Blair, Hoon, Brown, Browne, Ainsworth and Twigg. Wouldn't it be interesting, if they were "forced" to give evidence?

ABrighter2006 said:
one could venture that HMG's own lack of focus / resources / knowledge, leads directly to soldiers not knowing where they stand (and this does not condone in any manner the actions that took place). This situation and HMG's "head in the sand" attitude has cost the British effort in Iraq more than the £2.83m.
One could also venture that the QLR's murdering scum has cost the British effort in Iraq more than the £2.83m. And how much more in gifted PR to our enemies?

The same shitbags who (apart from one) can't even stand up and admit what happened.

If the compensation would be paid 3 years ago then the case would be forgotten soon.

firstly things like abuse should not happen, what crimes did the people who are being abused?
still does not account for iraqis to get more compensation than our injured soldiers coming back from iraq and afhgan.

firstly things like abuse should not happen, what crimes did the people commit who are being abused?
still does not account for iraqis to get more compensation than our injured soldiers coming back from iraq and afhgan.

It's our fault...

hackle said:
I hear what you say but if we get too outraged about the "compensation culture", we may find ourselves arguing against compensation for injured troops or the dependants of the dead.
Sorry Hackle, but how far up your own arrse is your head? Can you seriously imagine "ourselves" arguing against compo for injured troops, I personally am an "interesting MD".

BAFF do a great deal of good work, are you their closet Sven?

Extract your own head K-I, Hackle was referring to the line of thought that Spike was alluding to - "compensation culture. Compensation is there for a reason, the level for injured service people has already been vociferously debated here and which BAFF had already been actively working towards (and if you want to know how, get on the web site and read it for yourself).

And as for closet Sven, Hackle is probably one of the greatest assets BAFF has and there will be many individuals who will benefit from that who will never realise it.