Iraqi Weapons

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by forniup, Jun 8, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Brand new 'factory fresh' Iraqi Rifles

Never been fired,

Only dropped once
  2. Good CO

Good CO LE Admin

I thought that having some form of armed guard was standard practice. I'm sure it is in US ones at least!
  3. The Vienna Convention covers the sanctity of diplomatic pouches and embassies.

In reality they can get anything in there, some Latin American embassy workers got done a few years back for bringing in nose candy in the diplomatic pouch. Yvonne Fletcher's murder also illustrates the penchant for diplomatic staff from dodgy regimes to get well tooled-up.

4. If I may be so bold, there are loads of not so dodgy regimes that have Embassies well tooled up.

Edit to add: I suppose the UK comes under dodgy regimes now.....
  5. It does with El Presidente Blair in charge.
  6. ISTR Dad telling the tale of how, long ago, in a country reasonably far away, in the middle of some renovations to the embassy where he was posted, they found and opened a safe that contained a FOGB old Webley revolver, and ammunition, 1940s vintage.

"Feck", they said, as the combined brains of a Col, and two SNCOs tried to figure out how to get rid of it.

Diplomatic pouch was out, for above reasons, and so the cunning plan was to break it into vewy vewy small bits, suitably mangled by hammer, and bury by night in several secluded spots within the embassy grounds.......

As for "tooled-up embassies", the US Marine Corps seem to be fairly well armed when on embassy detail. Where we were, they just weren't allowed to leave the Embassy grounds, which must have made for a hellish boring tour.