Iraqi MiG-25 Pilot Explains How he Destroyed a USN FA-18C in GW1

Following GW1, it was eventually acknowledged that an Iraqi MiG-25 FOXBAT E killed a USN FA-18C on the first night of DESERT STORM on 17 January 1991, killing the pilot Lt Cdr Scott Speicher.

Yet this is the first account I’ve read of the engagement by the then Lt Zuhair Dawoud, the Iraqi pilot concerned. Interestingly, Dawoud’s comments are verified by another USN pilot involved in the incident. During an idle moment, I have also found this account in the normally reliable F-16.net website which suggests Dawoud’s recovery to base was also not without incident.

Tragically, the fate of Speicher was not confirmed until 2009, leading to significant further distress for his family. However, his remains were eventually identified and finally returned to the US after painstaking research by the US military and a number of agencies.

RIP.

Regards,
MM

Last edited:
RIP to the pilot. It's a soul lost. I never want to see anyone die, especially, friendly people.

But I do like the MiG-25, it was just an engineering marvel, very short legs, but it was very specific and built to a purpose, just like the English Electric Lightning.

Indeed.

Even today, the performance of the MiG-25 means it must be treated with respect. They were the biggest threat to High Value Assets back in the Southern NFZ days and came VERY close to nailing a USAF E-3 on at least one occasion.

Regards,
MM

Nemesis44UK

LE
Book Reviewer
Indeed.

Even today, the performance of the MiG-25 means it must be treated with respect. They were the biggest threat to High Value Assets back in the Southern NFZ days and came VERY close to nailing a USAF E-3 on at least one occasion.

Regards,
MM
Not yours, I hope.....

Indeed.

Regards,
MM
Anything which can fly that fast and high needs to be treated with respect and regard. Especially the RB versions.

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
Following GW1, it was eventually acknowledged that an Iraqi MiG-25 FOXBAT E killed a USN FA-18C on the first night of DESERT STORM on 17 January 1991, killing the pilot Lt Cdr Scott Speicher.

Yet this is the first account I’ve read of the engagement by the then Lt Zuhair Dawoud, the Iraqi pilot concerned. Interestingly, Dawoud’s account is verified by another USN pilot involved in the incident. During an idle moment, I have also found this account in the normally reliable F-16.net website which suggests Dawoud’s recovery to base was not without incident.

Tragically, the fate of Speicher was not confirmed until 2009, leading to significant further distress to his family. However, his remains were eventually identified and finally returned to the US after painstaking research by the US military and a number of agencies.

RIP.

Regards,
MM
would Speicher not have had any indication he was locked up on the MiG-25s radar and had a missile inbound?

Not yours, I hope.....
Nope.

We preferred Northern Italy to Riyadh so volunteered for the Balkans unpleasantness throughout the 90s! RAF E-3Ds only got involved in Iraq in the run-up to the invasion of Iraq in 2003.

would Speicher not have had any indication he was locked up on the MiG-25s radar and had a missile inbound?
His Radar Warning Receiver should've given him indications that he was being targeted. Perhaps it was unserviceable but more likely it was swamped with other indications (friendly and hostile) and it sounds like the engagement occurred while Speicher was on his run-in to the target, always a very busy time.

Regards,
MM

Were they any other coalition air to air losses during the campaign? On paper Saddam had a capable air force, but much of it was destroyed in hangars or on the ground, a few few splashed, and mostly it fled to Iran. However, it took the coalition several days to achieve air superiority and then air supremacy.

Were they any other coalition air to air losses during the campaign?...
No.

Some sources cite an Iraqi claim that a RAF GR1 flown by Sqn Ldr Gary Lennox and Flt Lt Kev Weeks (both KIA) was splashed by a MiG-29 on 22 Jan 91. However, the Iraqi claim was for a supposed kill 3 days prior to Lennox and Weeks' loss and the Iraqi pilot concerned (Capt Jameel Sayhood) was himself shot down and killed later in the War by an F-15C. Although the exact cause of this GR1 loss has never been established, the most likely reason was simple 'controlled flight into terrain' (CFIT) as the crew egressed the target.

Another GR1 was lost on 19 Jan flown by Fg Off Dave Waddington and Sqn Ldr Robbie Stewart, both of whom survived as PoWs (Dave Waddington retired as a 1*). However, examination of the wreckage confirmed the crew's assessment (and black box evidence) that they'd been downed by a SAM.

The last UK air-air loss is, by my reckoning, the 3 CBAS Scout flown by Lt Richard Nunn RM (KIA) and Sgt Bill Belcher RM (WIA) shot down by an Argentine Pucara flown by Teniente Miguel Giminez on 28 May 82. This was Argentina's only air-air kill of the War. Ironically Gimenez was killed only minutes later on this same flight, again due to CFIT.

RIP to all.

Regards,
MM

Last edited:

Latest Threads