Iraqi Mayor thanks the U.S. Armys 3rd ACR

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by Virgil, Feb 21, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Sometimes we when do something right someone appreciates it.

I met McMaster, the 3d ACR CO mentioned, in the first Gulf War when he was a Captain. His troop had an Iraqi Republican Guards unit that had dismounted their destroyed vehicles pinned behind a berm. His big concern was that no more of them needed to die at that point and had my PSYOP team call them out to surrender. That's my only memory of the guy, he was able to keep a sense of decency on the battlefield when a 'kill 'em all' attitude would've been the easy way out.

2. i have also seen another article in similar vein , it seems many Americans troops are learning a new way of fighting,in a similar style to our Northern Ireland experience so hopefully this will bethe turning of a corner in Iraq.

3. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Too little and too late for Iraq - conditions are set and if we are realistic the timelines of NI are not exactly what we would call a enviable exit timetable.

Maybe better for the next country they chose to kick arrse in though :?

4. Virgil,

Would this be the same HR McMaster of "73 Easting" fame, perchance?

I bet it must be nice to have your first star sewn up when you're still a Captain. :wink:

(He wrote an absolutely shite book on decision-making and the Vietnam War BTW)

5. Yes, that's the guy. The incident where I met him was at the end of 73 Easting. The Iraqi commander we captured told us he had a lot of wounded still out there in gather together ina a group in the distance maybe 1 or 2 km (memory's a bit hazy). McMaster was getting his troops and us ready to go get them when he got word from SQN that Regiment said to hold fast. The whole ACR had come to a stop in order to let the 1st Armored Division pass in front and take over.It was night and we watched as that division sort of 'crossed the T' in front of us. You could see their progress from the explosive flashes as they moved from right to left. I don't think a single one of us weren't thinking about those wounded Iraqis sitting in its path.

I'm not sure what the 'first star' comment means, but he's made a career out of that battle. I think his tank personally took out 8 Iraqi tanks, but due to that sense of decency he showed in combat, I don't begrudge him the fame. Haven't read his books.

6. To be fair the Marines I was attached to were doing an excellent job at 'hearts and minds' in '03 in the Shia areas of Najaf, Karbala, Al Hilla, Al Kut, Ad Diwaniyah, As Samawa and Nasiriyah. The Spanish and Ukrainians fcuked it up when they took over. The 82d was giving the 'be nice' approach a decent go in Fallujah as well until they started getting shot at. Having been around both the Sunnis are a tougher nut to crack, having lost all their power, money and influence they were too pissed off to be susceptible to the nice approach. I remember in one Sunni town we tried to give away a large truck-load of frozen beef. Just give it away, no one would take it, not mosques, not people on the street and it just went to waste.