Iraqi insurgents using Steyr HS50s exported to Iran

eveyuk said:
It's all gathering pace, where is this all leading?
See the thread on "Operation Persian Freedom"

Funny how that night-vision gear the British sent to Iran to help interdict drug-runners ended up in tunnels in Lebanon as Israelis captured Hezbollah positions.

Those Iranians have such friendly suppliers

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
And so what is new? These b@stards have been killing British Soldiers, indirectly and directly, for a few years, and we've kept schtum about it.

I presume that we'll roll over and continue to 'accept' further deaths and injuries so as not to annoy the Mullahs.

Nothing will change; only the Soldiers will pay.

As far as I can make out, the numbers on these rifles haven't been given to Steyr for them to check that they've actually from their production and not knock-offs produced somewhere else.

I don't like the idea of these weapons being used to top squaddies at all, but I find it a bit hypocritical of the Septics (now there's a surprise) to shout about this but supply cluster bombs to the Israelis, lobbing at Lebanese civvies, for the use of.

MsG

Beat me to it about the NVGs. We are desperate for NVGs but idiot Labour see to it to supply Tehran with NVGs. Can only feel for the guys on the ground, knowing that the insurgents are using these weapons. I fired a Barrett on a range once, very easy to use, (even for aircrew).. Contrary to what the tin hatters are saying here, I don't believe the appetite for war with Iran exists in the States. The US is really struggling just with Afg and Iraq. Still, can't see the Israelis standing by as Tehran goes in search of the ultimate weapon.

I am interested by all the cynicism on display. If this is what military people think, wonder what the civvy pop is thinking. The real hangover of using faulty intel to justify war is going to hurt the UK and US Govts in the future. This foolhardy PM must go down in history as one of the worst ever.

KGB_resident said:
Blogg said:
In short, this report claims Steyr-Mannlicher exported 800 (legally) to Iran last year. Within 45 days of arriving in Iran, in use by Iraqi insurgents. Now another 100 found.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/main.jhtml?xml=/news/2007/02/13/wiran313.xml
I strongly doubt that the story is true. 100 rifles? Unbelievable. 1, 2 or 10 but a hundred... Looks as a fairy tale.
Could be as there has been a lot of aggro about this for a while.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4564698.stm

If they exist no doubt will be paraded before cameras soon

KGB_resident said:
I strongly doubt that the story is true. 100 rifles? Unbelievable. 1, 2 or 10 but a hundred... Looks as a fairy tale.
Why?

KGB_resident said:
Blogg said:
In short, this report claims Steyr-Mannlicher exported 800 (legally) to Iran last year. Within 45 days of arriving in Iran, in use by Iraqi insurgents. Now another 100 found.

Over the last six months American forces have found small caches of the £10,000 rifles but in the last 24 hours a raid in Baghdad brought the total to more than 100, US defence sources reported.
Sounds believable to me. Wether it's true though...

B

Biscuits_AB

Bravo_Bravo said:
KGB_resident said:
Why?
Why? because he's another Sov who just cannot accept anything the Americans have to say. He's at it night and day this lad.

If they have recovered 100 rifles then I'm sure that the serial numbers will identify the source and confirm the amount. But if the Americans did this, the Sov would accuse them of stamping them themselves.

Reading Sergei's posts reminds me of the propaganda magazines that you used to be able to pick up at Soviet Checkpoints Alpha and Bravo in the early 80s.

Who'd have thought it, international arms dealers channelling weapons covertly into a war zone!

(not so covertly now though it would seem)

Global Security

The National Iranian Police Organization placed an initial order for 800 Steyr sniper guns last year, which it said was for use by its Anti-Drug Traffic Unit. A spokesman for the Austrian Interior Ministry, Rudolf Gollia, told VOA there was no reason to stop the deal.

"The Iranian government supplied a certificate to say the weapons were to be used by the Iranian police to secure frontiers and to fight drug crimes."
DATE=2.9.2005

DPM_Sheep said:
KGB_resident said:
Blogg said:

I strongly doubt that the story is true. 100 rifles? Unbelievable. 1, 2 or 10 but a hundred... Looks as a fairy tale
Over the last six months American forces have found small caches of the £10,000 rifles but in the last 24 hours a raid in Baghdad brought the total to more than 100, US defence sources reported.
Sounds believable to me. Wether it's true though...
Well if the IRA can smuggle X amount of AK's, RPG & Russian MG's into the province,(which is a lot smaller that Iraq for a start!) why is it fairy tale Sergey?
True,the was a fishing trawler stopped with guns on board I believe but how much else got thru?
Compared to the amount of arms & ammo the IRA smuggled in over the years,100 gats is small change.

Bravo_Bravo said:
KGB_resident said:
Why?
There is at least one factual mistake in the article

The National Iranian Police Organisation bought the rifles allegedly to use them against drug smugglers in an £8 million order placed with Steyr in 2005.
But

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Steyr_HS_.50

The rifle made headlines when Steyr sold at least 800 rifles to Iran in 2004. There was a large amount of concern in the United States, UK
Also, let's apply a common sense. Suppose that you have found such a sophisticated weapon in a war zone, even one rifle. Then no doubt you would inform the manufacturer about its serial number to track a source to (first of all) prevent further supplies. Had it been done? No one word about it in the article.

Why namely now these allegations were disclosed? (not previously). Where are photos of the rifles? Where is a list of serial numbers?

When I see the word Iran, I assume this means the State of Iran. In effect, an accusation that the authorities in Iran are officially conducting a covert operation to arm Iraqi insurgents with weapons, not so?

Do you think the authorities in Iran are so stupid as to buy 800 guns from a reputable western manufacturer one day, and then ship them into Iraq the next day and assume nobody is going to find out? Either they are playing a deliberate high-risk strategy to goad the US/UK into taking military action against them, or they - and we - are being taken for a ride.

Think about it!

spike7451 said:
Well if the IRA can smuggle X amount of AK's, RPG & Russian MG's into the province,(which is a lot smaller that Iraq for a start!) why is it fairy tale Sergey?
True,the was a fishing trawler stopped with guns on board I believe but how much else got thru?
Compared to the amount of arms & ammo the IRA smuggled in over the years,100 gats is small change.
Spike, have you credible reports that IRA baught weapons directly in Russia or in Soviet Union? I strongly doubt that such reports exist.

Latest Threads