Iraqi insurgents using Steyr HS50s exported to Iran

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Blogg, Feb 13, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. It's all gathering pace, where is this all leading?

2. See the thread on "Operation Persian Freedom"

3. Funny how that night-vision gear the British sent to Iran to help interdict drug-runners ended up in tunnels in Lebanon as Israelis captured Hezbollah positions.

Those Iranians have such friendly suppliers

4. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

And so what is new? These b@stards have been killing British Soldiers, indirectly and directly, for a few years, and we've kept schtum about it.

I presume that we'll roll over and continue to 'accept' further deaths and injuries so as not to annoy the Mullahs.

Nothing will change; only the Soldiers will pay.

5. I strongly doubt that the story is true. 100 rifles? Unbelievable. 1, 2 or 10 but a hundred... Looks as a fairy tale.

6. As far as I can make out, the numbers on these rifles haven't been given to Steyr for them to check that they've actually from their production and not knock-offs produced somewhere else.

I don't like the idea of these weapons being used to top squaddies at all, but I find it a bit hypocritical of the Septics (now there's a surprise) to shout about this but supply cluster bombs to the Israelis, lobbing at Lebanese civvies, for the use of.

MsG

7. Beat me to it about the NVGs. We are desperate for NVGs but idiot Labour see to it to supply Tehran with NVGs. Can only feel for the guys on the ground, knowing that the insurgents are using these weapons. I fired a Barrett on a range once, very easy to use, (even for aircrew).. Contrary to what the tin hatters are saying here, I don't believe the appetite for war with Iran exists in the States. The US is really struggling just with Afg and Iraq. Still, can't see the Israelis standing by as Tehran goes in search of the ultimate weapon.

I am interested by all the cynicism on display. If this is what military people think, wonder what the civvy pop is thinking. The real hangover of using faulty intel to justify war is going to hurt the UK and US Govts in the future. This foolhardy PM must go down in history as one of the worst ever.

8. Could be as there has been a lot of aggro about this for a while.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/4564698.stm

If they exist no doubt will be paraded before cameras soon

9. Why?

10. Sounds believable to me. Wether it's true though...

11. Why? because he's another Sov who just cannot accept anything the Americans have to say. He's at it night and day this lad.

If they have recovered 100 rifles then I'm sure that the serial numbers will identify the source and confirm the amount. But if the Americans did this, the Sov would accuse them of stamping them themselves.

Reading Sergei's posts reminds me of the propaganda magazines that you used to be able to pick up at Soviet Checkpoints Alpha and Bravo in the early 80s.

12. Who'd have thought it, international arms dealers channelling weapons covertly into a war zone!

(not so covertly now though it would seem)

13. Global Security

DATE=2.9.2005

14. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Well if the IRA can smuggle X amount of AK's, RPG & Russian MG's into the province,(which is a lot smaller that Iraq for a start!) why is it fairy tale Sergey?
    True,the was a fishing trawler stopped with guns on board I believe but how much else got thru?
    Compared to the amount of arms & ammo the IRA smuggled in over the years,100 gats is small change.