Iraqi girl murdered by father for loving a Squaddie

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Jammy66, Apr 27, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. That's just insane.

I suppose that's what the Iraqi police said about the 6 RMP's, because no one has been arrested for that. Quite hard not to find a big gang of people that were involved.
  2. Ok lads don't go falling in love with a muslim girl ok?-
    You could be putting her life at risk.
    Some of their fukctard dads and brothers have a warped sense of honour but no love or mercy ok.
    There now, that wasn't too difficult was it :D

Stone age amoebas :evil:
  3. Unfortunately you can take the man out of the bog but you cannot take the bog out of the man.
  4. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

Wasn't there something on Telic 2 or 3 like this
    Squaddies played with a young girl about 8 (not MDN style) gave her water etc
    Her father didn't like it so he filled her in
    Squaddies saw and filled him in
    He killed her to restore his 'honour'
    I think it's touched on in Dusty Warriors

Don't the US forces actually marry Iraqi women and take them home with them?
  5. i can't believe the police - "not much we can do" - the guy just shouts out some words while killing his daughter, so thats his actions cancelled out!
  6. It's been known to happen, but I can't exactly say it's a common event. Private time for courtship outside the wire, and ill-advised.

The two times I'm aware of, one was an Iraqi in US service, the other married a girl who worked in the Green Zone.

7. the_boy_syrup

Thanks C_T
    Thats what I thought marrying girls who work in the camps and offices etc

Wasn't there some scandal about a US Marine and a Kuwaity princess or high up ministers daughter that caused a bit of a no fratranisation policy
    She ran away with him IIRC and they married and stayed in the US but there was alot of greif over it
  8. OTT responses, and off-subject posts removed. The thread concerns Women's rights In Iraq , it's not another generic bashing thread.

This is an important issue , the same thing is happening in Afghanistan too.

At the base, constitutions have been rewritten in Iraq reducing women's rights, the same exercise is being attempted in Afghanistan, as I posted on last week.

Since 2003, there has been a lot written about the deterioration of Women's rights in Iraq , and the rise of active extreme discrimination against women in some Iraqi communities. Comparisions are invariably drawn between the rights and opportunities women enjoyed under Saddam, to the appalling state of affairs for women in Iraq today.

Further reading

The Human Rights Watch evaluation paper , grim reading

Houzan Mahmoud's piece in the Independent, warning of the rise of violence against women, 2 years ago.
  9. This is what the article says about this poor young woman's workplace:

10. Generic bashing?
    I hardly think that calling this sort of thing backward, while bemoaning the fact that it has also happened in this country is OTT.

Have a word with yourself.
  11. Give me strength :evil: Here we are spilling the blood and mainming our own trying to make some sense of that sh*t hole called Iraq and at the same time a country within our own Commonwealth is imploding on the verge of civil war as a consequence of the vicious dictatorship of an orangutan in a suit called Mugabe. I think we are in the wrong country :x
  12. the_boy_syrup

I suppose we are actually to blame for this
    Under Saddam women were quite well off under these clowns we have put their rights back by about 500 years
    We also stuck in the weak police force

13. Yes but where are all the "muslims" on here to defend that this is just the fanatics etc.?
    After all that's what all the other "generic bashing thread"'s all end up with. I see how this one would be hard to go that way, so I see why you need to remove posts.

No doubt this one will be removed as well, or could you by any chance answer it?
  14. Sadly if this is legal under Iraqi law then there is nothing we can do wether we like it or not.

We had a brief about honour killings before we went to Iraq, and it went along the lines of:

You're on a patrol in Basra and come across a woman being attacked by a group of men. After questioning you discover than the woman was found to/accused of having sex outside of marrage (or what ever excuse they may need) and the men are her farther and brothers carrying out an honour killing. What can you do?

The answer? Not alot, you can't arrest them as it is legal, you can ask them to stop, but she'll only get killed once you've gone.

In Iraq this sort of thing needs to be stopped by Iraqis as it's their country and whether we like it or not there is very little we could do to try and change their minds.