Iraqi girl murdered by father for loving a Squaddie

That's just insane.

I suppose that's what the Iraqi police said about the 6 RMP's, because no one has been arrested for that. Quite hard not to find a big gang of people that were involved.

Ok lads don't go falling in love with a muslim girl ok?-
You could be putting her life at risk.
Some of their fukctard dads and brothers have a warped sense of honour but no love or mercy ok.
There now, that wasn't too difficult was it :D

Stone age amoebas :evil:

Unfortunately you can take the man out of the bog but you cannot take the bog out of the man.

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
Wasn't there something on Telic 2 or 3 like this
Squaddies played with a young girl about 8 (not MDN style) gave her water etc
Her father didn't like it so he filled her in
Squaddies saw and filled him in
He killed her to restore his 'honour'
I think it's touched on in Dusty Warriors

Don't the US forces actually marry Iraqi women and take them home with them?

i can't believe the police - "not much we can do" - the guy just shouts out some words while killing his daughter, so thats his actions cancelled out!

the_boy_syrup said:
It's been known to happen, but I can't exactly say it's a common event. Private time for courtship outside the wire is...limited, and ill-advised.

The two times I'm aware of, one was an Iraqi in US service, the other married a girl who worked in the Green Zone.

NTM

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
California_Tanker said:
the_boy_syrup said:
It's been known to happen, but I can't exactly say it's a common event. Private time for courtship outside the wire is...limited, and ill-advised.

The two times I'm aware of, one was an Iraqi in US service, the other married a girl who worked in the Green Zone.

NTM
Thanks C_T
Thats what I thought marrying girls who work in the camps and offices etc

Wasn't there some scandal about a US Marine and a Kuwaity princess or high up ministers daughter that caused a bit of a no fratranisation policy
She ran away with him IIRC and they married and stayed in the US but there was alot of greif over it

OTT responses, and off-subject posts removed. The thread concerns Women's rights In Iraq , it's not another generic bashing thread.

This is an important issue , the same thing is happening in Afghanistan too.

At the base, constitutions have been rewritten in Iraq reducing women's rights, the same exercise is being attempted in Afghanistan, as I posted on last week.

Since 2003, there has been a lot written about the deterioration of Women's rights in Iraq , and the rise of active extreme discrimination against women in some Iraqi communities. Comparisions are invariably drawn between the rights and opportunities women enjoyed under Saddam, to the appalling state of affairs for women in Iraq today.

Further reading

The Human Rights Watch evaluation paper , grim reading

http://www.hrw.org/backgrounder/wrd/iraq-women.htm

Houzan Mahmoud's piece in the Independent, warning of the rise of violence against women, 2 years ago.

http://www.independent.co.uk/opinio...-constitution-that-enslaves-women-502896.html

http://globalresearch.ca/index.php?context=viewArticle&code=HAS20051007&articleId=1054

California_Tanker said:
the_boy_syrup said:

NTM
This is what the article says about this poor young woman's workplace:

Rand Abdel-Qader was killed after her family discovered she had formed a friendship with a 22-year-old infantryman she knew as Paul. Rand, who met the soldier while working on an aid project for displaced families, was suffocated by her father and then hacked at with a knife. All the time he was calling out that his honour was being cleansed, said Rand's mother.

PartTimePongo said:
OTT responses, and off-subject posts removed. The thread concerns Women's rights In Iraq , it's not another generic bashing thread.
Generic bashing?
I hardly think that calling this sort of thing backward, while bemoaning the fact that it has also happened in this country is OTT.

Have a word with yourself.

Give me strength :evil: Here we are spilling the blood and mainming our own trying to make some sense of that sh*t hole called Iraq and at the same time a country within our own Commonwealth is imploding on the verge of civil war as a consequence of the vicious dictatorship of an orangutan in a suit called Mugabe. I think we are in the wrong country :x

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
I suppose we are actually to blame for this
Under Saddam women were quite well off under these clowns we have put their rights back by about 500 years
We also stuck in the weak police force

PartTimePongo said:

Yes but where are all the "muslims" on here to defend that this is just the fanatics etc.?
After all that's what all the other "generic bashing thread"'s all end up with. I see how this one would be hard to go that way, so I see why you need to remove posts.

No doubt this one will be removed as well, or could you by any chance answer it?

Z

Zarathustra

Sadly if this is legal under Iraqi law then there is nothing we can do wether we like it or not.

We had a brief about honour killings before we went to Iraq, and it went along the lines of:

You're on a patrol in Basra and come across a woman being attacked by a group of men. After questioning you discover than the woman was found to/accused of having sex outside of marrage (or what ever excuse they may need) and the men are her farther and brothers carrying out an honour killing. What can you do?

The answer? Not alot, you can't arrest them as it is legal, you can ask them to stop, but she'll only get killed once you've gone.

In Iraq this sort of thing needs to be stopped by Iraqis as it's their country and whether we like it or not there is very little we could do to try and change their minds.

Yes but where are all the "muslims" on here to defend that this is just the fanatics etc.?
After all that's what all the other "generic bashing thread"'s all end up with. I see how this one would be hard to go that way, so I see why you need to remove posts.

No doubt this one will be removed as well, or could you by any chance answer it?

Maybe if you couched your question in a more understandable form?

The topic is important. In this particular case, it has been made more 'relevant' because of the involvement of a British Soldier.

The plight of women in Iraq , seems to not be regarded with any great interest, in spite of the fact that under Saddam there were laws and safeguards to ensure womens rights in a Muslim society.

Since liberation, and especially since the new Iraqi constitution , those rights are vanishing. The same thing is happening in Afghanistan, reversing gains made, as religous leaders and others seek to impose their influence.

The links I provided earlier, illustrate this.

The thread is edited, to avoid the usual descent into, petty ridiculous topic destroying squabbles between the Islamophiles and Islamophobes , that mar and destroy otherwise promising debates and discussions, as both sides bring up the same tired old arguements , ending up at the same point.

The thread concerns the problems faced by British Forces trying to interact with people who seem intent on reverting to the basest form, in spite of our best efforts , and with the approval , tacit or otherwise of Governments whom are supposed to be our allies. In direct contravention of the very human rights we are supposed to be enabling them to protect and uphold.

Crow_Bag, thank you, an excellent example of the problem.

PartTimePongo said:
Bad_Crow, thank you, an excellent example of the problem.
Sorry to be a pedant, PartTimePongo, but it's crow_bag, not Bad_Crow (in case he does one of those "who's been talking about me" searches).

oooooooooops! Thanks Bovvy, edited

The father was arrested, held for two hours, then released without charge. 'Not much can be done when we have an "honour killing",' said Sgt Ali Jabbar of Basra police. 'You are in a Muslim society and women should live under religious laws.'
Iraq isn't under Sharia law yet you ignorant c0ck , no matter how much you want it.

So what chance do women have to report DV , or even get the police to intervene , especially in a Police Force dominated by religous bigots?

PartTimePongo, the trouble is that "the problems faced by British Forces trying to interact with people who seem intent on reverting to the basest form, in spite of our best efforts ,..." are the same British people are facing at home. It is not Islamophobia but acknowledgement of the facts. If we can't discuss why it's happening in our society, how can we figure out how to deal with it in Iraq?

But you are MOD and its your rules I suppose...

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
From the article

Rand Abdel-Qader was killed after her family discovered she had formed a friendship with a 22-year-old infantryman she knew as Paul. Rand, who met the soldier while working on an aid project for displaced families

I assume that the father had no problems with her bringing money from the British Army for the work she did ?

If these men were as hard and such good fighters against us we wouldn't be in the country to offend them

Just goes to show no matter what Bush and the rest say the country is lawless

I'd be interested if any one can point me to the bit in the Koran where it states you can stamp on your daughters neck whilst her brothers and uncles hold her down to uphold your honour

Honour these cunts wouldn't know real honour if it stamped on their necks