Iraqi Army Saves British Troops.

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Bat_Crab, Jul 22, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BBC News

Well done chaps, I am sat in the desert at the moment and is good to see the local lads getting some decent results. How long before they can do without us?
  2. Bat Crab alas I cannot see BBC from here - any chance of a cut and paste?
  3. here you go Iraqi army 'saves British troops'

The Iraqi army is taking on more responsibility across the country
    The Iraqi army has foiled a potentially deadly attack on UK troops in Basra, the British army has said.
    A routine patrol discovered five Katyusha rockets aimed and ready to fire at a base housing around 200 soldiers of the Light Infantry.

Major Charlie Burbridge said the 107mm calibre rockets would have caused many casualties if they detonated on target.

The Iraqi army made safe the weapons, which Maj Burbridge said had a range of 7km (4.35miles). No-one was arrested.

Maj Burbridge said: "Our confidence in the Iraqi army continues to grow and this demonstrates how capable [it] is becoming.

"We are grateful that their diligence and professionalism has been able to potentially save the lives of British troops."

The development comes a month after it was agreed that Iraqi troops would have a much higher profile in patrolling the streets of Basra - the centre of the UK operation in Iraq.

Agreement was reached with Iraqi ministers for a new security plan for the city, intended to curb the local militias and tackle police corruption.

When the new set-up was announced, Defence Secretary Des Browne said: "I believe this plan can make a real difference to the lives of 1.5 million Basrawis
  4. lawsom34 many thanks
  5. Deleted, beaten to it by lawsom34!
  6. Bat_Crab many thanks
  7. Hopefully this is the light at the end of the tunnel, where the Iraqi people, are kept safe and secure by Iraqi Soldiers, and we can fcuk off home for a well-deserved pint, before we head off to Iran and liberate their oil fields erm I mean people.
  8. And if you believe that shit, then you'll believe in santa as well
  9. What? Some good news from Iraq? And on the BBC to boot?
    Anyone would think things aren't half as bad as they are made out to be. :roll:

No doubt we'll be ready to hand over Al Amarah next week and redeploy to Sangin.
    If only those pesky Iranians would let us fly over their bit we could be there in no time....
  10. OI!!!!! What are you trying to say ? That Santa i'snt real.

Bah Humbug