Iraqi agenda?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Ord_Sgt, Oct 8, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Now I know this has been done to death in another thread but does anyone else think the Iraqis are pushing this a little too much? I mean I find it unlikely that these people simply got bored and opened up on just anybody for the hell of it but clearly Ministers are saying that now.

Full story from the BBC.
  2. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Depends if your family was shot by whoop it up pmcs doesnt it? Must be bad if they have had all this bad press, at least it diverts attention from the other activities going on!
    How they can justify such "tactics" when they are allegedly in secure areas or protected themselves by other regular units seems to me to be OTT, but then a lot of what goes on on the currency exchange seems just a little OTT!
    Still they must really be helping relations with the locals eh?
  3. My bold. I don't. I have encountered some outrageous behaviour from PMCs in Iraq.
  4. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Are some of them really that bad :?
  5. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

This could be quite interesting. You may also remember that the USMC had a major falling out with Blackwater a couple of years ago when they intervened in a fire fight where they felt that Blackwater were effectively killing Iraqis out of hand, out in the West. I think they were simply driving in convoy and blatting off at any and ever vehicle they encountered on the road.

Ended up with a fire fight (Blackwater vs USMC), an "arrest" and then stand off with the USMC doing their nut as the direction from up above in the US CoC being that as Blackwater was sanctioned and licenced by the MOI and not the Coalition, the USMC had no authority, were to stand down and release them.

Frankly if Blackwater do get it in the neck, so be it. I don't see what the point is of the US Embassy doing its own investigation. In case they don't remember, the Iraqi Government are allowed to make their own decisions.

Their best call would be to back the Iraqis up.
  6. At the end of the day PMC's and let us not shilly shally with schematics mercenary's and there use in Iraq undermine the whole reasoning of being there i believe.

While i dont blame anyone for getting out and signing up, but there use is never going to settle the matter how well intentioned it was to bring them in it hasn't worked, and all that bringing in of outsiders just makes for easy propaganda for the radicals.

While some will say we are only providing much needed security, we all know that there are elements who's remit has been let us say loosely interpreted! Blackwater is at the heart of that, mission creep or mission profit are both terms that have no place in the private sector.

While the Irag administration is weak and ineffectual, without doubt the fact that western contractors need western security shows a deeper malaise and deeper failure to solve issues, thus deepening the perceived weakness in the administration.......
  7. Most baddies will keep away from Blackwater now, so this incident has enhanced the Blackwater profile, they may get more recruits to their company from potential Rambo' 8) 8) 8) 8) s.
  8. just a question? so you think that rambo'ing PMC is ok? In the big scheme of things and that PMC's dont need to be accountable?
  9. Oh I don't think it will keep the baddies away at all. That is the same a saying that a good way to control infections is by shutting the germs up in culture dishes. They will get more recruits tho' - from cnuts. FFS if the USMC thought they were OTT :(