Iraq withdrawal "begins in March"

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by in_the_cheapseats, Dec 10, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

We have a timeline! As long as all goes well UK to start withdrawal of troops from Iraq in March.

Hear it first here

2. Perhaps being cynical here but as with anything involving the Gubmint I'll believe it when I see it. At least I've finally got my Telic 1 medal!

3. Are there still plans to forward base people in Kuwait post withdrawal?

4. Not so much a withdrawal - more a redeployment surely.

A few months ago there was no prospect of taking troops from Iraq and reinforcing Afghanistan. Now eyes are on another ball, party conferences are over and we have a new Defence Sec we are seeing the phrase - a withdrawal allowing us to better support the war against the Talibaan (not and exact quote, I know, but words to that effect from an MOD spokesman)

5. Too true - as ordered by Barack Obama.

6. thats right guys, no more work to do just r&r

no.... i said redeploy

7. It would have been quite wrong of him to make such comments whilst serving - he would have face disciplinary measures had his comments not been authorised. Does anyone believe MoD Media Ops would have allowed such comments to be made.

He did what he thought was honourable, resigned and has made public a number of similar statements. Whether his views are right or wrong, he has done the right thing and deserves credit for his approach.

Personally I believe he is right in most of his analysis. Others may not be able to comment publicly or may disagree.

8. There has been considerable comment in previous ARRSE about senior officers who failed to speak out about things that needed saying. Why the double standards? Does his pension over-ride policy and conduct which jeopardised men's lives?

9. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

Another significant announcement that is drip fed out to the Press though an unattributable briefing by some anonymous "senior official" rather than by a formal announcement from a Minister.

I wonder if our political leaders will ever have the moral courage to stand up and take responsibility.

10. I remember hearing the same thing in 2004 and again in 2006.

I look forward to 2010 when this one is dusted off again.

11. It'll all be over by Christmas...

12. I was in Kuwait earlier this year (march in fact) helping move stores for the withdrawal, unfortunly it didn't go to plan. Should be interesting to see if they can get it to work this time around.

13. I wouldn't be too sure about it...

I sincerely hope so.

14. Hard to see how he could have done this when what he is talking about took place after he left. I don't always like the man and I thought much of his book was very self serving, but I think we have to give him the benefit of the doubt on this one :D