Iraq war was right but mistakes were made, say leaders

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by GuyT, May 26, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. "Mr. Bush said he regretted his cowboy rhetoric, specifically his challenge to Iraqi insurgents early in the armed uprising to "bring it on". He also said the Abu Ghraib prison abuse scandal had been greatly damaged his attempts to bring democracy to Iraq."

Please see full article:,,11069-2197809,00.html

More coverage of this topic can be found at

Makes you wonder what qualities are actually required to become President.....
  2. millions of stupid thick brainless voters perhaps?
  3. No S***e Sherlock, what gave you the first clue....? 2,400 dead in 3 years perhaps...?
  4. It's indicative of the desperate state they find themselves in that the best they can do is to admit to human fallibility. Advisors have probably told them that they'll gain sympathy if they confess to making errors. The problem is, it's a little late and rather contrived, after all of the posturing they've enjoyed.
  5. - my emphasis...

Spot on DB - interesting to note that our PM feels at ease to make this type of statement, whilst stood next to the US President, in the USA. But to my knowledge (awaits correction by the ARRSE community), Blair has never made these "admissions" so clearly in this country.

If the military involvement in Iraq was right, then perhaps now is the time for Blair to finally allow a full and independent enquiry into the basis for war, a proper analysis of the planning for the post war phase and a realistic appraisal of how the British military have been impacted by it.

It's actually really easy to say that mistakes were made - bear witness testimony to just about everybody and their' families, who has been projected into a war based on alleged WMD development in Iraq. Maybe, the smarter politicians will use this admission to question Blair on "exactly where mistakes were made?" and in the best post op report format, "Tony's recommendations on how he will ensure these mistakes will never be made again."

The cynic in me also thinks that the timing of Blair's visit to the USA, is a convenient distraction to HMG's problems in this country, in particular the foreign prisoner fiasco, presided over by the Home Office.

On the basis, that HMG evidently can't get a grip of its domestic responsibilities, and with the Tory party showing a six point lead in the opinion polls, perhaps our Tone might also take the opportunity to view real estate whilst in the USA?!
  6. Well I am glad they can now sleep well at night now - must be a real comfort too for all those who have lost loved ones!

Mr Bush and Blair don't look for sympathy you made your chioces - now live with them as we do and then leave quietly when its your time to go!
    Just as those did who paid the ultimate price!
    You have made your mark in history and for better for worse its time to move on may you RIP
  7. Mr Bush said he regretted saying "Dead or Alive" felt it had been misinterperted I wonder in what way "Dead or Alive" could be misinterperted you would think the meaning would be obvious. English as spoken maybe not one of Dubyas' strong points
  8. I saw the press conference on Channel Four News tonight and the close up of Blair's darting eyes and generally hunted look was quite unsettling. Coincidentally, His flimsy pretextness made another address in which he referred to something he called Progressive Pre-emption. With his strength and popularity on the wane, could this be the harbinger for another intervention? Iran? Venezuela? (In the interests of defending the free world of course)
  9. How about blowing up some greenpeace ships froggy, all in the name of peace of course
  10. Anyway, coming back on thread, Blair and Bush admitting that mistakes were made is a cynical ploy aimed at improving their popularity ratings. It's still a bit perplexing. Admitting you could have been wrong may not sit well with low IQ voters in the US hinterland, and they just might get confused by the sight of the Chief Simian openly displaying signs of weakness.