Iraq: Tide Finally Turning?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by AndyPipkin, Mar 23, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Lets hope it continues
  2. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Or else the Media is bored and not reporting so much, What do the statistics say?
  3. I for one am not holding my breath.
  4. msr

msr LE

5. msr

msr LE

Or maybe not:,,7374-1537512,00.html

Students are beaten to death for playing music as Shia militiamen run amok
    THE students had begun to lay out their picnic in the spring sunshine when the men attacked.

“There were dozens of them, armed with guns, and they poured into the park,” Ali al-Azawi, 21, the engineering student who had organised the gathering in Basra, said.

“They started shouting at us that we were immoral, that we were meeting boys and girls together and playing music and that this was against Islam.

“They began shooting in the air and people screamed. Then, with one order, they began beating us with their sticks and rifle butts.” Two students were said to have been killed.

6. sums it up well for me
  7. More good news:

BTW, can anyone tell me the difference between the not-entirely impartial but reasonably sane and the barking lunacy that is Are they related?
  8. the last budget requirement I saw was 372 million to replace wokkas , and the rest of the 500 million to replace vehicles. Tanks and AFV's come under a separate appropriation.

Anyone want to ask KBR how many trucks they've lost or abandoned?

Rant Begins
    Strategy news are very good at blowing warm air up their own arrses.

I'm sorry, as I grow older I get more cynical. I wish pundits, would just tell it like it bloody is, that way we can adjust to the reality.

Then again, the whole planet has become diseased with the corruptness of spin , doublespeak and plain old lies.

Is Iraq getting better? Does anyone know if it actually is? It seems for every pace forward , it takes but a small fracas to drag us back again.

The fact is , not one bloody truck should be being lost to insurgent action, not one more Coailtion soldier or Iraqi should be dying. Pull our bloody people out, and let them get on with it.

I'm sick and tired of hearing about poor old Iraq, or 'How wonderful it is we're restoring democracy" to some fly-blown sh*thole.

Charity begins at home. This country is going down the bloody toilet , and we're all worried about somewhere we should damn well never have been in the first place, watching it suck resources that should have been used here.

Iraq swims on a sea of oil? great , maybe they'd like to pay to fix our bloody train services, the NHS and maybe they can fund a few more coppers on our streets? Maybe they'd like to pay a compensatory sum to the families of our people killed, giving them their 'liberty'

Iraqi elections? They can't even sort out who runs the country. But mark my words, whoever ends up running it, will be a corrupt , year zero Islamic b astard. meanwhile , Bush 43/44 and TCB will continue to put a nice coat of gloss on the major league fcukup that is the Iraq Operation. Meanwhile, the people who are really pulling Dubya's strings, are looking for the next ant's nest they can kick over.

Condoleeza Rice a diplomat? My arrse, she's a positive bloody danger. Her words of the last few days, make a mockery of Dubys'a intention to 're-engage with our allies'

Wolfowitz to the World bank? -Yipee . John Bolton to the UN? You have to be taking the p*ss. What next , Rumsfeld to UNICEF?

This bloody cabal is making the world a far more dangerous place, not a better one. How the hell do you make things better, by creating more enemies?

Oh I forgot, the State Department's figures said terrorism was dramatically down , not up. More bloody lies, explained away as a 'typo'

So you see, I don't believe a bloody word that any of these b astard bottom feeders say anymore. They really don't give a fcuk about the planet, but they do give a fcuk about making more money for themselves, and their b astard election contributors. Oh and of course, the mighty, can never do anything wrong ever, State of Red Sea Pedestrians.

Want to stop problems in the ME? Lean on the Israelis , HARD.

Fcuk Iraq , and Fcuk all those bloody mental cases who have hijacked democracy. Rant over

This is an interesting site

Probably run by Godless communists and Al-whatever sympathisers mind.
  9. Where were our troops?
  10. It seems that Ali tried to speak with our troops but got this response

Far from disavowing the attack, senior al-Sadr loyalists said that they had a duty to stop the students’ “dancing, sexy dress and corruption”.

“We beat them because we are authorised by Allah to do so and that is our duty,” Sheik Ahmed al-Basri said after the attack. “It is we who should deal with such disobedience and not the police.”

After escaping with two students, Ali reached a police station and asked for help. “What do you expect me to do about it?” a uniformed officer asked

Ali went to the British military base at al-Maakal and pleaded with the duty officer at the gate. “You’re a sovereign country now. We can’t help. You have to go to the Iraqi authorities,” the soldier replied.
    When the students tried to organise demonstrations, they were broken up by the Mehdi Army. Later the university was surrounded by militiamen, who distributed leaflets threatening to mortar the campus if they did not call off the protests.

When the militia began to set up checkpoints and arrest students, Ali fled to Baghdad.

A British spokesman said that troops were unable to intervene unless asked to by the Iraqi authorities.

Colonel Kareem al-Zeidy, Basra’s police chief, pleaded helplessness. “What can I do? There is no government, no one to give us authority,” he said. “The political parties are the most powerful force in Basra right now.”
  11. Well in that case we might as well bring them home :roll:
  12. You're in favour of UK and the US becoming isolationist then Ptp?
  13. The way I feel this very day?

But there was Government. There was a local government in the making , instigated by British Forces.

Except we were told by b astard Bremner, that that wasn't the way they wanted things done.

I don't know why this subject is getting me so wound today. 8O
  14. Its just a circle of 'it's not my responsibility!'

Granted, the squaddies in Basrah have their orders not to intervene and to try and let the Iraq police etc take the lead (which is an approach to be commended) but it is a useless strategy when the Iraqi police force have their hands tied behind their backs or are not willing to work on their own initiative.

Surely any decent police chief would have the authority to stop such intimidation in his TAOR, and if he doesnt he should make it his responsbility to uphold the laws for ALL of the Iraqi citizens, not just the religious nutjobs.