Iraq the TV mini Series

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by danvnuk, Jul 26, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I know Hollywood loves a good war flick, but I just heard about a major US TV 'Band of Brothers' style Drama premiering tomorrow night following a US squad's First tour in Iraq.

'Over There'

Surely it's a bit bad taste and timing to be making fictional dramas about this subject when the real thing is going on right now and you can see it on the news nightly?
  2. Depends on how it's done - but I note that this is the same channel that runs JAG and NCIS. Incidentally, your net link appears to be dead.
  3. i think it's called propaganda :twisted:
  4. I just watched the trailer via the link.

It just looks like a typical American TV programme...they all seem to follow the same design, but with a different setting.

The trailer reminded me of ER, but with the Army in Iraq instead of Doctors in a hospital. I'm sure there'll be a "moral to the story" at the end of each episode.

I think it looks ****. To be "PC" they're sure to have some Iraqi militant who has become disillusioned with the insurgency, or is fighting against his will and ends up helping an American escape capture, then ends up being killed himself.
  5. Altogether now:

"Suicide is painless,
    It brings on many changes,
    And I can take or leave it if I pleeeeeze!"

This week's Episode: Hawkeye and Trapper John attach the electrodes to Abdul's testicles whilst he's being photographed naked with Hotlips etc.
  6. Just watched the trailer....

pfc lying in hospital bed , clutching birds hand "...I just wanna get back to my unit"

bird - "you can't, not with one leg"

quality, pure quality..... (sigh)
  7. So it's "Tour of Duty" in the desert?
  8. I nominate MDN as the comical cheeky cockney brit , that they always portray in these things
    and maybe Papa Lazaroo as the drunken ex-pat journo?
  9. Having just viewed the character profiles, I can say that the GIs in the computer game Full Spectrum Warrior seem better fleshed-out.

10. Looks like some more typical Spam Bollox, No doubt Sky 1 ch5 will end up buying this cak, and promoting it as "This year’s best programme" Run it for fifteen series and bore us to death after series 1.
  11. Not sure if "Six underground" is appropriate theme music :(
  12. Not to sound as though I like the idea of an Iraq drama, I don't, but the same network is responsible for The Shield, and that's a quality programme, not sure if they can get away with a US Army Vic Mackey capping Arabs in quite the same way though.
  13. What complete and utter drivel. I want my bandwidth back.
  14. Seen the first 2 episodes now. Oh dear :(

The makers went to a lot of time and trouble to get the kit and equipment righht , throw in a lot of Army speak , "I am not a Sir, I am not a godamn faggit Officer , I fight for a living" etc etc.

Lots of effort gone into making the action scenes intense , that guy getting blown in half by an M40 , or the car at the roadblock getting swiss cheesed by a SAW , do make you think "Whoa dude - rewind"

But other bits do make you think "Oh FFS" . Four soldiers are going to get up in a bunch and attack a fortified building are they? No F+M , no zig zag, just get up, and trot forward smartly shooting. Oh and shooting for 2 days off and on , no ammo replen, and no mag changes (The curse of American action films , or "Katie Elder-itis" ) Digging in in a kill zone at night , and a whole bunch of other stuff that sucked.

But if you want to wile away 40 minutes suspending reality, it's not bad.

No hang on, I've just seen the trailer for Episode 3. "20 stingers are missing, we have to get them back" Yeeeeeha ,"Navy Seals" redux 8O

So it's more an American version of Ultimate farce. :*(
  15. .....look forward to the episode where they don't have massive air-support, artillery or spy-drones and take off their body armour to fight man-to-man........