Iraq/Telic beyond 31st July, whats it going to be called now

Discussion in 'Iraq (Op TELIC)' started by Bromhead, Apr 4, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. With the cessation of "Combat Operations" in Iraq beyond 31st July, will the remaining 400 British Troops still be classified as being on Op Telic, or will the Operation name change? Especially seeing as we're likely to have some sort of presence over there for years to come, even if its only a handful of senior advisor types.

And if it does change, does that make them still eligible for the Telic Medal, or is it an Iraq-specific medal rather than a Telic-specific medal? Will there be an "OSM Iraq" to replace it?

2. Could be same as Bosnia first there was IFOR, then KFOR and finally WHAT FOR !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3. Really?
    I thought it was IFOR, SFOR and than EUFOR and then what for... :wink:

4. medals medals medals, gimme gimme gimme :roll: will the greed ever end?

I hope it becomes a medal-less tour. It was pathetic when Bosnia went from UN to NATO and people got double gonged for 1 tour, hate to see Iraq be devalued in the same way.

5. As far as I know, the medal is called "The Iraq Medal" so would continue to be issued to those serving in Iraq for the required number of days, presumably. The NATO forces in Iraq (like Afghanistan) are 'double gonged' but can't wear the NATO one-though presumably if the UK medal stopped being issued they could.

Why should it become medal-less Filbert? It is still a dangerous place. The GSM for NI continued to be issued for a number of years after the cease fire etc.

edit to add following strapline from BBC News website:

A series of car bombs in Baghdad has killed at least 18 people and injured dozens, as the US military announced its first combat death in weeks.

6. My point is why should they issue a different medal? keep the OSM dont do a new one for the Mutleys out here who are 'gong gong gong'.
    As for it being dangerous, its dangerous everywhere! Should the GSM with clasp NI be re-introduced due to 2 soldiers being killed?

I think this thread shows that the original poster is more interested in the fact that he could get another medal out of something that is basically the same tour rather than actually being interested in whether or not the tour name is going to change.

On the name change point, just becasue the tour name changes it doesnt mean that you get a new gong for it, look at how many different names Bosnia had, I did a Lodestar and a Palatine, lord knows how many others there were! Im suprised the name Telic has lasted as long as it has.

7. OP RELIC? :D

8. I've been on tour where officer's when posted out of the Battalion were posted back for 30 days just so that they can be awarded a medal and make them look good. Also I had to issue a Gulf 1 medal for a guy who was in Cyprus for the war but since he was not part of the UN was eligible for it, barking mad.

9. I think most people would agree that the balkans got utterly ridiculous medal-wise and we can only hope that the lesson has been learnt (ha!). The most sensible thing to do would be to continue to award the Iraq Medal to the few personnel who deploy there, until such time as the US operation itself ends.

Just out of interest, does anyone know which campaign medals are still being awarded? Iraq, OSM Afghanistan and UN Cyprus?

10. Yep, and they've maintained a permanent presence in the Gulf since 1980 on the Armilla patrol, Air Ops Iraq and Telic. The Gulf Warship and RFA Gulf Ready Tanker will be there for a looooong time to come. Whether they (we) should continue to get a medal for being there is a different matter...

11. Thanks for the replies, I was under the impression that the Iraq medal would be issued for the foreseeable future but was just looking for a bit of clarification as i was unclear as to whether the op name was inextricably linked to the award of the medal.

After all, why should lads spend 6 months in Iraq when everyone else has forgotten about it and get nothing? I'm sure there are plenty of people cutting about with one on who never left Shaibah! For the lads who don't have any medals yet, you'd be surprised how much it means to them, and the personnel who've already done one, or two tours already, probably wouldn't object to getting something different for their third tour!

But thanks for your input Filbert, changed my life forever.

12. [​IMG]

Gimme Gimme Gimme

13. To answer the question, yes the op codeword is changing but I haven't seen the new name in the public domain yet.

14. Dangerous? Might die of boredom over here. Although I did graze my knee on my coffin the other day!