Iraq Snubbed Britain And Calls US Into Basra Battle

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Brick, Apr 10, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Interesting. But honestly, could you really expect anything much different?
  2. [my bold]

How does an attack aircraft fire "warning shots" over a populated city? I'm fascinated. Can anyone explain? Or is it just journos talking sh1te again?
  3. It's the RAF's way of justifying why they missed the target again.
  4. That did strike me as somewhat odd as well. Best guess either they've actually loosed some shells off at people or more likely they've done some low passes to put the wind up people and it's general journalistic hyperbole.
  5. At least there is something positive.
  6. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Let them they are welcome to it! In fact I can think of a few other shoiteholes that the British Government has seen fit to send a shoestring budgeted force to that the spams can have!
  7. They can clearly cope with out us down there so why not start the drawdown now. We could be completely out of that shitehole within a year.
  8. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I'm sure we could move a lot quicker than that if really required, say six months to backload all of the stuff that we cant flog to the locals!
  9. I was under the impression that we'd been providing Lynx air support for the Iraqis since the start of the Basra Op? At least thats what the BBC reported with a clip of one flying over Basra last week.
  10. Is anyone really suprised? The UK has made it very clear at the highest political levels for a couple of years now that they are not really interested in Iraq, other than trying to get out without upsetting the Americans and losing too much face. On the other hand the US has taken the opposite approach, engaged more closely, re-inforced its troops and generally been much more positive in trying to support the Iraqis.

Is it therefore such a big shock to find that the Iraqi PM has little time for us and would prefer to get his support from 'more reliable' allies.

Although it has never been so bluntly stated publicly we set out our stall some time ago and should not be suprised that we are now marginalised by the Iraqis.
  11. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

For whatever reason UK PLC have not done the biz in Iraq; Standby for the Armed Forces to get the blame for what is clearly a national embarrassment.

We already know that this government can be highly vindictive to anyone it perceives to be letting them down.

Don't expect the Government to share any of the responsibility: Lack of resources; lack of objectives; lack of political leadership and support.
  12. Lets face it, the force at Basra Airport is barely enough to defend itself, let alone perform offensive operations. The brutal fact is, we cannot reinforce them - since the forces-hating Gordon chopped 2000 Infantry 2 years ago, we have no one left to send. We are now reaping the harvest of the Brown years in No. 11 - and the poor sods in Basra are in the forefront of it.
  13. Just bring them home. Now is as good a time as any. Leave the fukcin kit if necessary, we can argue the toss about who's responsible later, but let sense, not politics, ensure their safe return without delay. Poor buggers stuck out there taking shite, and for what? To save some other fekkers 'face' politically? Bollox to that!
  14. Brown's work no doubt.

Hiding in the Bunker and hoping the problems will go away.
  15. I understaood that the Fast Jets often do a low level dumby run, with sonic boom for additional effect, as a a rule their presence has the desired effect. So pehaps it was this rather than "warning shots"....