Iraq situation is dire, says Straw

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by GuyT, Sep 29, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

Extracts from last night are now available as a download or podcast:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/programmes/question_time/default.stm

And yes I did wonder about his expressions, but I think that is just the natural makeup of his face (in the same way that HM tends to look a bit grumpy)

Anyone else wonder if Straw was deliberately put up for what was always going to be a harsh QT????

2. I don't know wherre he's getting his info from. The truth of the matter is that insurgency is only continuing in several provinces. Others are being handed back to the Iraqi security forces on a weekly basis as part of the programmed reduction of forces and eventual withdrawal.

3. "I don't know wherre he's getting his info from. The truth of the matter is that insurgency is only continuing in several provinces. Others are being handed back to the Iraqi security forces on a weekly basis as part of the programmed reduction of forces and eventual withdrawal."

- - -> You'd have expected Jack Straw to be 100% up to speed before appearing on a programme like that though, wouldn't you?

4. Nope - the guy's a tawt.

5. Are you suggesting that the provinces in Iraq that we have handed over to Provincial Iraqi Control are in good nick? Where are you? Not in Iraq, I’ll wager.

6. Can you show me where I said they were in good nick?

where I am is of no relevance - not to you, or this discussion.

7. GDav, The insurgency continues unabated in all the provinces. Just because the media does not report it does not mean it is not happening. Yes only a few provinces are affected by AQI but JAM and others are vieing for power using any and all means available. Worse when we return provinces the IZ you end up with a superfical ISF capability that is either unwilling or allied to militia forces who have the power. Sorry mate you are wrong.

8. I'm not wrong. If we hand control back to the Iraqi Executive then it is they who have a problem - not us.

9. So, we hand back a province, and then a week later one of our convoys transiting through that province is hit....and IT IS NOT OUR ****ing PROBLEM!! FFS, until every last man is out of IZ IT IS OUR FCUKING PROBLEM!!

Don't rely on the media, it is not good in IZ, dire might be a bit strong....

Back to Straw, if the DoD was determined to do it their way and he knew that why the Fcuk did he not resign?

10. In my opinion , Straw has been anti this operation since way before the start. Reading his comments on the lead up to war, and his desire for a UN DS solution lead me to belive he did not think any of this was a good idea.

Allied to his comments in Syria that caused a row, and his having to be slapped by State Department for not singing from the same hymn sheet, I think the real reason for his 'bizarre' smirk was "I told you so , and when I'm Prime Minister, the boys are getting pulled , we have Afghnistan to deal with"

11. Gremlin

Gremlin LE Good Egg (charities)

PTP read your pm's please TA

12. GDav, so do you mean that the insurgency is continuing in more than several provinces, but that those provinces that have been handed back to the Iraqi Executive where this is the case can be discounted?

13. No. There are exceptions however. Maysan is not one of them because I know in my heart that's the one you're going to quote.

14. Piers Morgan giving him a hard time about WMD was a bit rich,all Straw had to remind him of was a few published pictures in his then rag.Easy to mislead in Morgans case with the fake punishment photo's,a bit harder in Straws case where majority of the world believed Saddam had WMD and was a threat.Hindsight don't you just love it.

The chap who was Blair's advisor gave a true and honest opinion of every question asked on the programme,refreshing.