Iraq situation is dire, says Straw

#3
I don't know wherre he's getting his info from. The truth of the matter is that insurgency is only continuing in several provinces. Others are being handed back to the Iraqi security forces on a weekly basis as part of the programmed reduction of forces and eventual withdrawal.
 
#4
"I don't know wherre he's getting his info from. The truth of the matter is that insurgency is only continuing in several provinces. Others are being handed back to the Iraqi security forces on a weekly basis as part of the programmed reduction of forces and eventual withdrawal."

- - -> You'd have expected Jack Straw to be 100% up to speed before appearing on a programme like that though, wouldn't you?
 
#6
Are you suggesting that the provinces in Iraq that we have handed over to Provincial Iraqi Control are in good nick? Where are you? Not in Iraq, I’ll wager.
 
#7
BedIn said:
Are you suggesting that the provinces in Iraq that we have handed over to Provincial Iraqi Control are in good nick? Where are you? Not in Iraq, I’ll wager.
Can you show me where I said they were in good nick?

where I am is of no relevance - not to you, or this discussion.
 
#8
GDav said:
I don't know wherre he's getting his info from. The truth of the matter is that insurgency is only continuing in several provinces. Others are being handed back to the Iraqi security forces on a weekly basis as part of the programmed reduction of forces and eventual withdrawal.
GDav, The insurgency continues unabated in all the provinces. Just because the media does not report it does not mean it is not happening. Yes only a few provinces are affected by AQI but JAM and others are vieing for power using any and all means available. Worse when we return provinces the IZ you end up with a superfical ISF capability that is either unwilling or allied to militia forces who have the power. Sorry mate you are wrong.
 
#9
Jailorinummqasr said:
GDav said:
I don't know wherre he's getting his info from. The truth of the matter is that insurgency is only continuing in several provinces. Others are being handed back to the Iraqi security forces on a weekly basis as part of the programmed reduction of forces and eventual withdrawal.
GDav, The insurgency continues unabated in all the provinces. Just because the media does not report it does not mean it is not happening. Yes only a few provinces are affected by AQI but JAM and others are vieing for power using any and all means available. Worse when we return provinces the IZ you end up with a superfical ISF capability that is either unwilling or allied to militia forces who have the power. Sorry mate you are wrong.
I'm not wrong. If we hand control back to the Iraqi Executive then it is they who have a problem - not us.
 
#10
GDav said:
I'm not wrong. If we hand control back to the Iraqi Executive then it is they who have a problem - not us.
So, we hand back a province, and then a week later one of our convoys transiting through that province is hit....and IT IS NOT OUR ****ing PROBLEM!! FFS, until every last man is out of IZ IT IS OUR FCUKING PROBLEM!!

Don't rely on the media, it is not good in IZ, dire might be a bit strong....

Back to Straw, if the DoD was determined to do it their way and he knew that why the Fcuk did he not resign?
 
#11
In my opinion , Straw has been anti this operation since way before the start. Reading his comments on the lead up to war, and his desire for a UN DS solution lead me to belive he did not think any of this was a good idea.

Allied to his comments in Syria that caused a row, and his having to be slapped by State Department for not singing from the same hymn sheet, I think the real reason for his 'bizarre' smirk was "I told you so , and when I'm Prime Minister, the boys are getting pulled , we have Afghnistan to deal with"
 
#13
GDav said:
Jailorinummqasr said:
GDav said:
I don't know wherre he's getting his info from. The truth of the matter is that insurgency is only continuing in several provinces. Others are being handed back to the Iraqi security forces on a weekly basis as part of the programmed reduction of forces and eventual withdrawal.
GDav, The insurgency continues unabated in all the provinces. Just because the media does not report it does not mean it is not happening. Yes only a few provinces are affected by AQI but JAM and others are vieing for power using any and all means available. Worse when we return provinces the IZ you end up with a superfical ISF capability that is either unwilling or allied to militia forces who have the power. Sorry mate you are wrong.
I'm not wrong. If we hand control back to the Iraqi Executive then it is they who have a problem - not us.
GDav, so do you mean that the insurgency is continuing in more than several provinces, but that those provinces that have been handed back to the Iraqi Executive where this is the case can be discounted?

.
 
#14
GuyT said:
GDav said:
Jailorinummqasr said:
GDav said:
I don't know wherre he's getting his info from. The truth of the matter is that insurgency is only continuing in several provinces. Others are being handed back to the Iraqi security forces on a weekly basis as part of the programmed reduction of forces and eventual withdrawal.
GDav, The insurgency continues unabated in all the provinces. Just because the media does not report it does not mean it is not happening. Yes only a few provinces are affected by AQI but JAM and others are vieing for power using any and all means available. Worse when we return provinces the IZ you end up with a superfical ISF capability that is either unwilling or allied to militia forces who have the power. Sorry mate you are wrong.
I'm not wrong. If we hand control back to the Iraqi Executive then it is they who have a problem - not us.
GDav, so do you mean that the insurgency is continuing in more than several provinces, but that those provinces that have been handed back to the Iraqi Executive where this is the case can be discounted?

.
No. There are exceptions however. Maysan is not one of them because I know in my heart that's the one you're going to quote.
 
#15
Piers Morgan giving him a hard time about WMD was a bit rich,all Straw had to remind him of was a few published pictures in his then rag.Easy to mislead in Morgans case with the fake punishment photo's,a bit harder in Straws case where majority of the world believed Saddam had WMD and was a threat.Hindsight don't you just love it.

The chap who was Blair's advisor gave a true and honest opinion of every question asked on the programme,refreshing.
 
#16
easymoney said:
Piers Morgan giving him a hard time about WMD was a bit rich,all Straw had to remind him of was a few published pictures in his then rag.Easy to mislead in Morgans case with the fake punishment photo's,a bit harder in Straws case where majority of the world believed Saddam had WMD and was a threat.Hindsight don't you just love it.

The chap who was Blair's advisor gave a true and honest opinion of every question asked on the programme,refreshing.
Apart from the comment where he decided to ignore the premise of British Elections (ie you vote for your Local MP) and stated that TB had been elected as PM of the country.

Labour have been spinning that presidential type line for a while now and it really gets my goat.
/rant
 
#17
Gremlin granted,but all in all for one of the spinners he was honest and answered the questions fully.

If you want a rant- Piers Morgan,go on you know you want too
 
#18
easymoney said:
Gremlin granted,but all in all for one of the spinners he was honest and answered the questions fully.

If you want a rant- Piers Morgan,go on you know you want too
Actually I quite like Piers Morgan. He has been on This Week and QT a few times and normally holds up reasonably well, apart from his politics of course.

A left wing version of Ian Hislop (who is on QT next week), in that they have contempt for most politicans.

And yes apart from the minor(!) constitutional matter he was fairly even.
 

OldSnowy

LE
Moderator
Book Reviewer
#19
Jailorinummqasr said:
GDav, The insurgency continues unabated in all the provinces. Just because the media does not report it does not mean it is not happening. Yes only a few provinces are affected by AQI but JAM and others are vieing for power using any and all means available. Worse when we return provinces the IZ you end up with a superfical ISF capability that is either unwilling or allied to militia forces who have the power. Sorry mate you are wrong.
Just caught up with this thread, and find Jailor spouting his usual nonsense. Just not true, I'm afraid, no matter how much you'd like to believe it.
 

Latest Threads

Top