Iraq - Security contractor Armor Group ?

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Goatman, Jun 20, 2005.

?
  1. Yes - the Army should be able to hand over some tasks

25.0%
  2. No - uncontrolled mercenaries by another name

29.2%
  3. maybe - in some circumstances

20.8%
  4. Fcuk me - where do I sign on ??

25.0%

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

.....these folk weren't evident when I was in theatre (briefly) back in 2003 but I believe they've picked up a lot of work since then.

I understand a lot of very mainstream professional people from respected UK stabber and strangler outfits have signed up with them, attracted by the $50K a month salaries.....

Wonder if we could interest them in Uncle Bob......

Funny old thing - guess who the MD is .......a former British Foreign Secretary ..... isn't that just spooky possums ?

Lee Shaver

2. I have been thinking about this for some time and the topic has cropped up before. I believe that the problem is that of control. By letting them get on with it we (government) can wash their hands and say not our problem gov. As has been seen from a report in a US/UK papers when it was reported that PMCs open fire on USMC killed civvies, who is responsible.

I seem to remember from the 70s Congo mercenary trials that it was against the law for UK citizens to be recruited as mercenaries? It will all end in tears.
    :cry:

3. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Foreign Enlistment Act 1879....completely ineffective piece of legislation,but still on the statute books. Angola - " Colonel " Callan.

I can recall reading someone's CV a few years ago - for the period he'd spent flying Jaguars for the Sultan of Oman he'd put
    << Occupation - mercenary pilot >>.....an honest if impolitic view.

Tricky thing - are our guys on detached duty with someone else's Army actually mercenaries? Are the Gurkhas ?

I sem to recall an interview with Prince Charles a while back ......he was saying, effectively, << this is something the Brits are GOOD at...why should we make it illegal ? >>

hmmmm

Lee Shaver

4. It's inevitable. I don't believe it's about control at all. Whether its the remit of the armed forces to protect contractors going about their business or not (it's not), with troop levels as they are there is a need for PMCs to fill the gap. With so many western contractors out there, all needing protection it's no wonder there are so many. Whether the reconstruction contracts should have gone to Uncle Sam Inc in the first place, is another matter.

6. Defining the lines between traditional manned guarding and physical security, 'force protection' and CP is getting more difficult, but I don't think that the general run of people doing any of it can be regarded as mercenaries any more than their peers back home in the UK or US; even the companies providing training to national armies are only providing a legitimate and much-needed service. Where it all get sticky is when such organisations are not under the full control or licence of the competent national authorities, which has been the case in both Afghanistan and Iraq. Elswhere they have come unstuck as they've offered inappropriate services because clients have been taken in by the gloss of the 'Special Forces' image, under the impression that they're expert in basic protective security, which they aren't.

7. Lived next door to these guys in Baghdad for about 6-7 months from Dec 2003 to June 2004. Certainly during that time, the lads on the ground seemed well-trained and professional; hardly surprising considering their background. Don't know if it's changed since then, but the ones I met then certainly weren't cowboys.

Have to admit it was a nice quiet neighbourhood until they turned up, but then nothing lasts forever; and they were good neighbours, even if they did have more cars than parking spaces. Paid us a good price for our telly and DVD and stuff when we left and they took the house over. Don't quite think they were on anything near 50K a month, but then I didn't ask; thought it rude to, and they didn't look like the kind of people you'd want to be rude to.

8. The only experience I had with civvie security was that they always seemed to be on the scrounge for kit. So much in fact that our CO banned them from entering our camp. The duty rumour was that some kit had indeed gone walking. Having said that played rugby against them a few times and they seemed like a fairly decent bunch. Majority were either Brits or South african if I remember rightly.