Iraq reservists need more help

Discussion in 'Army Reserve' started by msr, May 28, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

2. :x
    Talk about "open the flood gates", have a look at a quote taken from MSR's link, attributed to Brig David Shaw! :x

"We are so much better at making sure people are prepared for deployment...and we are looking after the TA, we hope, as well as the regulars".
    In light of recent posts, including my own, do these people take us for fcuking fools?? :? :twisted:
  3. No I think he is a fcuking tool
  4. Another bit of research from the school of the bleeding obvious .
  5. I'm sure there is a cloud floating around somewhere with the Army 's CoC sat on it playing cards, and occasionally looking down on the real world, just to check it's still there, before going back to their Pimm's and lemonade, and crocquet on the lawn. It's nice up there, it's always sunny, there's nothing to worry about, and if there is a problem the good old TA will rush around to fix it with some plywood and gaffer tape, top blokes the lot of them!
  6. Meanwhile in reality, the boy's come home, relationships fail, marriages end, blokes turn to drinking to cope, they have nightmares that keep them awake and stop them from focussing on anything but the images in their head. Some have injuries from which they will never recover, and have been forced out the door because the country that sent them away doesn't want and can't cope with the constant reminder that somebody is suffering.
    Yes, Welfare is doing a great job.
  7. I'll play devils advocate.

It's not the purpose of welfare to irradiate those issues. It's there to help people deal with them. That the key point that the report makes. The issue is with preparation for those kind of environments that put the individual at risk. The TA solider is less mentally prepared for the culture shock experience in a conflict area, that will not change. The MoD needs to redress the balance by providing additional measures to support the TA pre, post and during operations and recognise the different pressures felt by the TA contingent.

Basically, there is no way the Army can prevent the mental and physical issues that result from deployment. They can just plan and set up adequate facilities to cope.
  8. Of course your correct, and I apologise for my somewhat flippant comment, I know quite a few lads go through the trauma's post tour, with little or no support, or if the support is there, it is difficult to get, (Maybe because, after all, we are only TA?!).
    I think more could be done pre tour, but what and how well recieved by the blokes will it be?
  9. MilkandCheese is quite right in stating that the Army cannot predict or prevent mental illness as a result of operational experiences. No one can, however the MoD and Govt need to fund treatment and diagnosis in a way that they are not doing. The US model throws both physical and mental casualties together and anecdotal research indicates that forces people respond far better in terms of recovery to being in a forces environment. Civilian trauma is not the same and HM forces trauma issues should not IMHO be treated as such. We have one military hospital left and that is due to close. Madness. We have injured vets from many of the last centuries conflicts to treat as well as our current wounded. Something along the lines of the current US VA hospital would be a good start and surely Haslar is as good a place as any to begin this. Keep writing to M.Ps - we must keep the subject of post conflict healthcare for our comrades on the Govt's agenda - there are plenty of less deserving causes that shout harder than we do, they know how to lobby and get to the tax cake first. We need to box clever and push for more funds.
  10. Possibly because the TA is misused and abused? How well would regulars cope if they were removed from their parent units and scattered across the army? As well as they do now, or maybe as badly as the TA has done?
  11. Kit, wouldn't disagree, I'm emailing a friend in the US, who used to work for the VA. The US reseached this very area post GW1, I'll try to get a link. Again, you'd imagine that UK eyes have seen the very same research (possibly even warned by the US in Tampa) that the effects of IR's would be detrimental off the battlefield.