Iraq reports missing from BBC website

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by nurse, Feb 8, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. on the BBC news site there s headlined a report on the deaths of the 156Pro Coy guys but on clicking to read it. The site comes up error
  2. Seems to be ok now:

Iraq Red Caps 'deprived of ammo'

There was speculation the men were executed
    Six Royal Military Policemen killed by a mob in Iraq were given as few as 20 bullets each, a newspaper report claims.
    The Red Caps - who should have had 600 rounds - were also forced to hand back grenades and doses of morphine, the News of the World said.

They were killed in an Iraqi police station on 24 June last year after being surrounded by more than 400 protesting Iraqis.

The MoD declined to comment until an Army investigation was completed.

Corporal Simon Miller, 21
    Tyne and Wear
    Sergeant Simon Alexander Hamilton-Jewell, 41
    from Chessington, Surrey
    Corporal Russell Aston, 30
    Swadlincote, Derbyshire
    Corporal Paul Graham Long, 24
    Lance-Corporal Benjamin John McGowan Hyde, 23
    Northallerton, Yorks
    Lance-Corporal Thomas Richard Keys, 20
    Bala, N Wales

The men were also given faulty radios and lacked heavy machine guns, according to the newspaper, which claimed to have seen a copy of a report by the Army's Special Investigation Branch.

The Red Caps from 156 Provost Company were in Iraq to train Iraqi policemen in Majar el-Kabir, 120 miles north of Basra.

It is thought they were attacked during demonstrations against what were seen as heavy-handed weapons searches by British forces.

An MoD spokesman said: "The investigation being conducted by the Royal Military Police will be looking into the issues of morphine and ammunition.

"It is therefore not appropriate to comment until the investigation is completed."
  3. Beuro-speak for we are never going to admit that they were issued with minimal ammo and the investigation has now been running for 8 months and considering that the establishment can tear down the BBC in 3 months 'they' will never let their head people be blamed.
    It will not suprise me if the results of the inquiry blame the RMP's for being weak minded for handing in their ammunition and not demanding better comms.
  4. I'm quite interested in what their direct chain of command have to say. Quite easy to blame the PM et al. Were comms checks done? Who specifically demanded the ammo and med kits back (if that is the case)? Did the patrol commander not request each of his lads had the requisite equipment to do the job?
    I wouldn't be so keen to let my lads loose on the locals without the proper gear and a plan. Maybe it's just me, but I'd rather be in front of the man for not handing bullets back than be in front of the families after a tragedy.