Iraq Reconstruction Service Medal

Rogerout wrote
Whilst many service personnel serve for 6 months at a time most of us stayed much longer (in my case 3 years).
So, i take it it you were chained to the drinks cabinet :D

Zeitgeist

War Hero
petemac said:
Sorry mate its nine medals now

My god you are the man........so cmon what have you actually done to get them....share it with us ,I am a mere mortal and need the food of the gods ......

Bad_Crow said:
barbs said:
Hootch said:
Interesting though, that foreign soldiers serving with the CPA are entitled to this medal and their own countries' military medal, but British forces that did the same job are not. All comes down to the dual award concept that is being enforced with the Herrick ISAF gong.

Interesting though to apply and say you got the Telic gong for the first 32 days of the tour only. All a bit questionable though.

If you went back for a second stint working for a govt dept, even as a serving soldier in uniform for which you did not receive another Telic medal or in your case a third ), then I think you are entitled and few people would begrudge you the FCO gong.
The dual-award issue is always a little bit interesting. A friend of mine has been awarded two medals for Op TELIC 1: the GSM with clasp "Air Operations Iraq" and the Iraq Medal with clasp. The Air Operations Iraq clasp ended when the Iraq Medal came into effect and he qualified for both during the same tour. The significance of this is that he was awarded two medals for the same period overseas which was split between being pre-war and war. For him the two periods were spent in entirely different conditions and mindset; had entirely different focus and rigour.

If you served 3 months with the FCO as a CP man in Baghdad then on posting transferred to an RMP Coy in Basra I think you should be entitled to two medals. Don't you?
However the ISAF Herrick gong question is all for the same thing. I've still seen one or two wearing them which in my eyes doesn't make them walts because they earned them both but rules are rules and one medal should be awarded for one tour in my opinion. Lets get back to the days when even 1 or 2 medals was posh... Just to make me look good... :D
Yeah and 3 made you look like a hero :D

afghanman

War Hero
dante242 said:
According to the Cabinet office the Afghan RSM was considered but its a no go, current medal in the pipeline is a Humanitarian service medal no details yet.
Heard on the grapevine from a fairly reliable source working at a HQ location that the Afghan Reconstruction Service Medal is now under serious consideration. Anyone else heard anything??

dante242

War Hero
Yes no Afghan recon medal, however civvies in the PRTs in the Stan do get the NATO medal......last I heard it was still being discussed whether it can be worn, I spent some time there and got the NATO but not the Herrick

dante242

War Hero
Fallschirm, true....but with all the walt finder generals out there its always best to stick to the rules, that said I do wear mine, cos I am a big lump.
My soap box is all our gongs should have the queens head anything else is "Foreign"
I got the IRSM and its a nice gong but if you are going to go down this road and I do not see the value of doing so, then by default you should have clasps..or stick to the OSM and have a civvie ribbon

afghanman

War Hero
afghanman said:
dante242 said:
According to the Cabinet office the Afghan RSM was considered but its a no go, current medal in the pipeline is a Humanitarian service medal no details yet.
Anyone heard of an update on the Afghan Medal for those involved in Afghanistan but not in the Armed Forces i.e. FCO personnel etc

dante242

War Hero
Not going to happen....FCO and those in PRTs do get the ISAF medal but no Herrick...

Can you please tell me where you obtained this information as the MOD Medals office have told me i cannot wear my Iraq Reconstruction Medal with my other campaign medals. Thanks.

marvinhewitt said:
Can you please tell me where you obtained this information as the MOD Medals office have told me i cannot wear my Iraq Reconstruction Medal with my other campaign medals. Thanks.
Try PS 12 - they are the authority on the wearing of medals, the medal office is really not much more than a distribution agent.

paddy5153

Swinger
Has anybody got there Civilian Service Afganistan Medal yet ? ,what colour is the ribbon ? and can both be worn ie the CSMA & IRSM ?

Has anybody got there Civilian Service Afganistan Medal yet ? ,what colour is the ribbon ? and can both be worn ie the CSMA & IRSM ?
Ribbon is yellow/grey/yellow, big green stripe, yellow/grey/yellow. Both can be worn together.

jonnopne21

Old-Salt
I believe the old two for one Bosnia scam is quite common, I know that loads of medics where on this tour, jammy bastards!!!
i was given the 2 for 1 for being UN/NATO on one tour, however i think i made up for the nato gong by going back to bosnia for the next two winter tours...

Latest Threads