Iraq Reconstruction Service Medal

It is worn after campaign medals but before Jubilee, ACSM and LSMs.

petemac

Swinger
Well done mate for tring to take my listing out of context. If you would have read the whole of my text it's not about the number of medals people have, its about good friends one makes when on operations! Yes Petemac does have 8 medals, and medals do not make a man, but thanks anyway for your concern Pete Mac.

petemac

Swinger
Thanks for your reply to my post, you should read my post again as you have the wrong end of the stick. Anyway it does not really matter if it makes you feel better being Mr Angry fair play to you mate, cheers Petemac

FEASG

LE
skymacuk said:
Hello all just wondering if anyone can awnser my question , ive just been awared the above medal , i do Close Protection for the FCO out of the British Embassy in Baghdad , im also am ex reg , but im in the TA now am i allowed to court mount this medal and wear it with the rest of my medals when in uniform (because all the military guys that work at the embassy that have been award it think we can ) also were would it come in line with the rest of the medals ,

many thanks
Id say yes as it is a British award for services to HMG. I would imagine that you would mount it as any other campaign medal in the order that you were awarded them (IE after your Telic gong and any other Campaign medals) But in front of QGJM/VRSM/ACSM. :D

why do you want medals......? unless you want to look like a Christmas Tree.......I have the 1962 GSM....and several clasps........"big deal"

Get on with the job and dont worry about shiny metal!!!!

FEASG

LE
boris7 said:
why do you want medals......? unless you want to look like a Christmas Tree.......I have the 1962 GSM....and several clasps........"big deal"

Get on with the job and dont worry about shiny metal!!!!
Now Now Boris. Mac is just asking a question what’s the problem. If you want to pour scorn on any one save it for the blokes of your generation that seem to buying chocolate box medals by the fist full from the RBL I.E
First in the Naafi Queue Star
I got drunk in Germany medal
Did National service (With Catterick Bar)

We would never Question what you did to earn yours yet you seem free to comment about medals awarded for our generations OP’s as if they in some way of lesser worth than yours.

Mr_Bridger

War Hero
One of the guys asked me this the other day, and I had to admit I'd never heard of it. He has a Telic medal (from Telic 2/3) and went back out on 9. Spent his time down at the Palace and the Apod, doing much the same as all the other boys and girls do, (i.e nothing fancy involving plain clothes and pistols in pants). My assumption is that he and others like him won't qualify for it...

Am I correct?

afghanman

War Hero
Award for bodyguard who risked his life in Iraq

01 August 2007
REBECCA GOUGH

A city bodyguard who braved car bombs and grenades to protect British government staff in Iraq has been honoured with a prestigious medal.

Former Royal Marine Sean Stone was recognised with the Iraq Reconstruction Service Medal (IRSM) for his work protecting personnel at the British Embassy in the war-torn country.

Mr Stone served in Iraq in 2003 and chose to return as a personal bodyguard. Between 2005 and 2006 he provided protection in Baghdad and Basra while diplomats worked to usher in a new government for the country.

Mr Stone, 34, who is married and lives in Costessey, and is director of Norwich-based Business and Entertainment Security Ltd, said: "There were car bombs going off and some grenades but at the same time I was aware I needed to risk my life for someone else.

"You go out and expose yourself to hostile fire every day but if you lived in a cocoon you'd never leave the house because you'd be scared of getting run over every day.

"Providing a service for people is something I've always wanted to do. I was going out there by personal choice but it was at the top end of what I'd been trained to do as a bodyguard.

"The way the security industry was going it opened up more opportunities for people like me. It gave me good experience and I can now appreciate how much goes into the everyday work out there."

He said his security work in Iraq followed naturally from his time in the Marines and he was surprised to receive the award.

The medal, awarded by the British government, recognises service by civilians who have helped bring democracy to Iraq.

Mr Stone said: "I didn't even realise there was a medal for this, I just accepted what I did was part and parcel of the job. It was out of the blue but I was quite proud.

"The whole thing has been a stepping stone to progression for me and it's been an experience, but I don't think I'll be going out there again."

Ü Do you know someone whose bravery should be recognised? Contact reporter Rebecca Gough

on 01603 772428 or email rebecca.gough@archant.co.uk

Mr_Bridger

War Hero
afghanman said:
Anyone know if they will be doing a similar medal for civilian work in Afghanistan???
Having now set a precedent, it may be difficult not to....

lochie99

Clanker
Just spoke to the very nice lady at the protocol office for the FCO and she said they were unsure how long this would go on for and it was costing them a small fortune (60k) to pay for these medals but no mention of Afgan. Now all i need to do is wait for it to filter through the military system to reach me.

dante242

War Hero
According to the Cabinet office the Afghan RSM was considered but its a no go, current medal in the pipeline is a Humanitarian service medal no details yet.

Ventress

LE
bigjarofwasps said:
I believe the old two for one Bosnia scam is quite common, I know that loads of medics where on this tour, jammy bastards!!!
You mean 2 Armd Fd Amb?

sneaking over from RumRation..

Does anyone know who you would talk to about this medal? I was in Iraq from June 04 to March 05, and am eligible for the Iraq Service medal for the 2004 part but the '05 bit was a new contract for the MoD. I'm curious to see if the '05 bit would get me the Reconstruction medal?

Old Snowy

I think the basic rule of thumb is that if you where on a civie contract for the FCO or any other Govt dept, then you are entitled.

Depends who you were employed by at the time.

Interesting though, that foreign soldiers serving with the CPA are entitled to this medal and their own countries' military medal, but British forces that did the same job are not. All comes down to the dual award concept that is being enforced with the Herrick ISAF gong.

Interesting though to apply and say you got the Telic gong for the first 32 days of the tour only. All a bit questionable though.

If you went back for a second stint working for a govt dept, even as a serving soldier in uniform for which you did not receive another Telic medal or in your case a third ), then I think you are entitled and few people would begrudge you the FCO gong.

FFBox said:
bigjarofwasps said:
What about all the Indian guys who work for KBR in the cook house, will they get the medal too?
Isn't KBR an american company?
I'll answer this since no-one else has.

KBR are american owned but they have a UK arm based in Leatherhead who have contracts to supply life support in Iraq and Afgahnistan for MoD forces.

KBR(UK) have been on the ground in Iraq since early 2003 and in Afghanistan since late 2005. KBR are currently providing tempoaray deployed accomodation, catering, equipment maintenance, cleaning and other FM services, they run the MoD fuel depots in both locations and are currently the prime contractor in support of the MoD in Afgahnistan.

I served in both Iraq and Afgahnistan with KBR and before that served 25 years in the British Army. We all qualified for the Iraq Service Medal under the same criteria as the MoD servicemen, we were not armed but lived and worked in the same conditions as you guys, under the same threat from incoming and roadside bombs when travelling outside the camps. Whilst many service personnel serve for 6 months at a time most of us stayed much longer (in my case 3 years).

Hootch said:
Interesting though, that foreign soldiers serving with the CPA are entitled to this medal and their own countries' military medal, but British forces that did the same job are not. All comes down to the dual award concept that is being enforced with the Herrick ISAF gong.

Interesting though to apply and say you got the Telic gong for the first 32 days of the tour only. All a bit questionable though.

If you went back for a second stint working for a govt dept, even as a serving soldier in uniform for which you did not receive another Telic medal or in your case a third ), then I think you are entitled and few people would begrudge you the FCO gong.
The dual-award issue is always a little bit interesting. A friend of mine has been awarded two medals for Op TELIC 1: the GSM with clasp "Air Operations Iraq" and the Iraq Medal with clasp. The Air Operations Iraq clasp ended when the Iraq Medal came into effect and he qualified for both during the same tour. The significance of this is that he was awarded two medals for the same period overseas which was split between being pre-war and war. For him the two periods were spent in entirely different conditions and mindset; had entirely different focus and rigour.

If you served 3 months with the FCO as a CP man in Baghdad then on posting transferred to an RMP Coy in Basra I think you should be entitled to two medals. Don't you?

barbs said:
Hootch said:

The dual-award issue is always a little bit interesting. A friend of mine has been awarded two medals for Op TELIC 1: the GSM with clasp "Air Operations Iraq" and the Iraq Medal with clasp. The Air Operations Iraq clasp ended when the Iraq Medal came into effect and he qualified for both during the same tour. The significance of this is that he was awarded two medals for the same period overseas which was split between being pre-war and war. For him the two periods were spent in entirely different conditions and mindset; had entirely different focus and rigour.

If you served 3 months with the FCO as a CP man in Baghdad then on posting transferred to an RMP Coy in Basra I think you should be entitled to two medals. Don't you?
However the ISAF Herrick gong question is all for the same thing. I've still seen one or two wearing them which in my eyes doesn't make them walts because they earned them both but rules are rules and one medal should be awarded for one tour in my opinion. Lets get back to the days when even 1 or 2 medals was posh... Just to make me look good... :D

Latest Threads