Iraq Receives T-72s & BMPs - With Another Armored Brigade Pl

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by NEO_CON, Nov 21, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. T72'S are going to be useful against urban insurgents......Or maybe you hope that a re-born Iraqi Army will fight 'the good fight' for you and restore the Peacock Throne?
  2. My first thought is why exactly do they need T-72's?

I can see the case for upgunned uparmoured BMP's , but why MBT's?

I will start to be seriously concerned if the IraAF take delivery of ex-Russian SU-25s, Ex-Indian/Russian Mig 29's , ditto Hind-D's
  3. Surley it's so they can work in a US led coalition in carrying out a regime change in that terrorist supporting nation Iran!
  4. The enemy of my enemy is my friend

Not like there's any bad blood between Iraq and Iran now is there?

5. How about just a NATO exercise
  6. How is it a NATO exercise? NATO aren't tasked to Iraq as NATO, or is there something you know we dont? 8O
  7. Just what Iraq needs.......more RPGs and Small Arms Ammunition.
  8. Nothing like MACV then?

Nothing at all :?
  9. I am looking to the future.
  10. Might aswell give em whatever they want so we can hurry up and get out. Wait 30 years then invade again. Atleast if we give em it we know what they have got!
  11. Now, given the situation, which is better: split up the armour around the IA, which will render it less effective and be anti-doctrinal, or let them concentrate it in an armoured brigade knowing the risk that *enter faction here* will get control of it and go to the Green Zone with their new tanks?
  12. At first I was a bit surprised to see they've bought tanks... as others have said shouldn't they be just worred about the counter-insurgency for now...

But then I saw the price... The tanks were donated so the cost was 77 tanks for 4.5 million dollars... a bargain and opportunity not to be missed.

Also, although most counter-insurgency operations don't require tanks the attack on Falluja and other strongholds did? So maybe the new Iraqi army are right to have at least a few tanks....

13. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

Trouble is they have noone to service them..nowhere to service them with the parts they don't have and noone competant trained to use them . Iraqis still have hundreds of slowly rotting tanks/armour up by Camp Phoenix N of Baghdad. Their armoured Bde there was less than 10% effective the last time I looked and that figure was pretty optimistic.

Nice headline news for the plebs but bugger all use to the New Iraqi Army.
  14. And why get them shipped in by NATO when they could go down Basra market and pick the RPGs up for about $30 each?