Iraq-Problems with clean up of US military sites

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by HectortheInspector, Jun 27, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/iraq/article7149611.ece

It seems that there is a lot of stuff surfacing as the draw-down continues.And prosecution looming for some contractors
    http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/news/world/iraq/article7150105.ece

"All the more reason to clear up questions about the toxic legacy quickly. General Cox listed several lessons the US could learn from the row. Uppermost was the need to start the removal of waste sooner.

He said: “I think perhaps the lesson is that we create hazardous waste treatment centres earlier if there is a potential for us to have a long-term presence.”

Perhaps the General needs to start thinking about Afghanistan as well. They've been there longer, so I expect the waste problem is bigger.

2. They couldn't find Sadaam's but left their on WMD's?WTF :?

3. msr

msr LE

4. This is a disgrace. Same as Agent Orange in Vietnam. Same as toxic agents in the Persian Gulf. Authorities will deny everything.

5. To clarify what I said about denying everything. Of course, the military admits that something happened. But all consequences will be denied. It's not our fault. Something else caused healthy people to die.

6. ummm, because god knows Iraq was a shining example of Arab cleanliness pre invasion. :roll:

No Industrial Dumping into the Tirgris and Euphrates, no waste dumped along farm land.

Oh hang on My Blood was a potential Bio Hazard when it was pooling in Mansour district after an IED, I suppose I'll get sued now.

7. msr

msr LE

And no hospital waste after we built them an incinerator on TELIC6 :)

8. Iraqi Hospitals are Medievel from what I saw at Yarmook. I watched attendents pick up an Iraqi we brought in, by the ankles AFTER we told them his ankles were Broken.

9. rampant

rampant LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Very true GB but, as we discussed on the other thread, it is an issue of culpability that a little common sense and forward thinking could have avoided this problem in the first place.

Just because polluting occured under the previous adminstration of Iraq, doesn't give the military/pentagon/new Irai admin/whatever the same right to do so.

The occupying forces should have applied the same legal and environmental standards as they would in thier home nation.

And reductio ad absurdem on your last point.

10. It seems that POTUS does not treat this problem seriously,in stark contrast to BP in the US Gulf.The moral seems to be that,mwhen your forces withdraw,leave the area in the worst state possible.