Iraq pollout and Lt. Gen Nick Houghtons interview

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Radical_Dreamer, Mar 7, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://news.yahoo.com/s/nm/20060307/ts_nm/iraq_britain_troops_dc

2. Odd that the field commander would give such an interview rather than the Minister of Defense. Probably gives the politicians deniability should they want it. That said, I think the UK mission in Iraq is close to completion now and a withdrawal in 12 -24 months seem's a respectable time frame.

3. I wonder why a senior military guy gives this out - it is an achievement that, surely, a politico would love to spout on about. However, it is refreshing to see a senior bloke say something.

4. I agree tomahawk, it gives the politicians room to say "we didn't say that", and use the good General as a scape goat when it goes Pete Tong.

5. Or perhaps it's a welcome example of a senior officer speaking out to take care of the troops ?

6. My reading of it is that it will take 12-24 months to pull out safely, not that we will pull out in 12-24 months:

The article is clear on this point also:

The General's conditions are clear:

The clock doesn't start in December - December is the next key point to see if the timeline can be put in place.

7. Somewhat different to 19 Mech's expectation of reducing to a sole BG by Nov 03.

8. General H's photo is in todays Telegraph - WTF has he got on his head? He's wearing a beret that's about 5 sizes too small that makes him look like a bit part actor in Soldier Soldier!! He must use the same tailor as the Academy Sarn't Major!