Iraq or Afganistan?

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by bigjarofwasps, Feb 23, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi Guys,

I saw on the news that according to public opinion, the war in Afganistan is more popular and has more backing than the war in Iraq?

To that end I intend to make my own poll to see if this is indeed the case, to that end please spare two seconds to vote.

Many thanks,

Attached Files:

2. you forgot the 'neither' option!

Are you talking about it being more popular in America or the UK?
  3. Fox, neither, now thats a good answer. If I can get the poll thing to work, I`ll add it on for you. As for UK or US, again good question, I suppose as it was on the news in the UK, I`ll have to narrow it down to the UK.

4. Sorry guys, it won`t let me add neither on now for some reason? So it`ll have to be one or the other. Given what the news guy said, it`s a clear case of one or the other?
  5. So the government announce on Thursday that troops are to be scaled down in Iraq. On Friday they announce that extra troops will be sent to Afghan. A few months later Telic troops that are now 'in reserve' are called forward when more trouble breaks out. Hey presto, the government has raised troop levels without the level of resistance that George Bush is facing. Cynical? Moi?

6. Yes, that hadn`t gone un noticed! But my question is where are the troops for Iran going to come from? Now theres another poll, yes or no for in the invasion of Iran?
  7. I was under the impression that both needless wars were unpopular, neither have done us or the country involved any good, a needless loss of lives on all sides, vast amounts of cash that could have been used on things closer to home wasted and the world is a more dangerous place because of them.
    If Blair had have had some testicles and said no to the shaved chimp in the first place instead of securing wealth post PM with his forecasted speech circuits of the US then we (especially the familes of the dead, maimed and wounded) would all be a lot happier.
  8. IMHO, Afghanistan is the more popular (or rather, less unpopular) destination in the "minds" of the Great British Public. Those who can remember back five years (and that's probably not many) know that there was a believable justification for taking on the Taliban in Afghanistan. The same cannot be said for Iraq. Unfortunately, the average punter just sees Brit squaddies in Desert combats and thinks "It's all a lie".

However I believe there is a far greater chance of it all going horribly wrong in Afghanistan than in Iraq....

9. I`m inclined to agree with your first point, and I suppose time will tell re your second. But I think things have already gone horrible wrong in Iraq, I can`t see the same happening in Afgan.