Iraq minutes to be released

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by OldRedCap, Jan 27, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Now we shall see what there is to see.

The Government has been ordered to release the minutes of 2003 Cabinet meetings when the invasion of Iraq was discussed. Skip related content

Order to release Iraq Cabinet minutes
    The Information Tribunal upheld a decision by the Information Commissioner that details of the sessions on March 13 and 17 should be disclosed.

The meetings considered the highly controversial issue of whether the invasion was allowed under international law.

In its ruling, the Tribunal said: "We have decided that the public interest in maintaining the confidentiality of the formal minutes of two Cabinet meetings at which ministers decided to commit forces to military action in Iraq did not... outweigh the public interest in disclosure."

The arguments in favour of keeping the formulation of Government policy secret and preserving the principle of collective responsibility were defeated in this "exceptional case", the ruling said.

The Tribunal said its decision had been "difficult" and carried by a majority rather than unanimously.
  2. I hope it doesn't look anything like this:

3. Industreal sized shredder delivered to no10
  4. Maybe we will see the full report in its following formats

Attached Files:

5. Is Tony in a country with whom we have a good extradition treaty in place?
  6. BBC report that the Cabinet Office have 28 days to decide whether to appeal and Downing Street are reported to be "considering our response".

I'll bet they are.
  7. They are just hoping there will be a monumental news story in the next 28 days so they can sneak out a reply which nobody will see on page 64 next to the stana stair lift adverts.
  8. Since there was virtually no discussion in Cabinet on the decision to invade Iraq, I strongly suspect that the minutes will be a) very short b) very dull and c) tell us nothing that we don't already know. Aren't Cabinet minutes just a record of decisions anyway?
  9. "Since there was virtually no discussion in Cabinet on the decision to invade Iraq, I strongly suspect that the minutes will be a) very short b) very dull and c) tell us nothing that we don't already know. Aren't Cabinet minutes just a record of decisions anyway?"

Thats precisely what Claire Short said on Radio 4 tonight, that as tony was running a "sofa cabinet" minutes were not taken of the discussions that sent the country to war.
  10. Biped

Biped LE Book Reviewer

Minutes of Meeting to Discuss the War:

TB: Well, erm, really, probably, erm, maybe, not a great idea, but we haven't the choice really, erm do we?

Lawyers: We reckon it's just fine - perfectly legal, yessiree.

GB: Well, cut a few corners, do it on the cheap . . .

TB: As much as I don't want to go to war, defence of freedom, righteousness, it's the right thing to do, God is on my side, and he's saying it's legal.

Lawyers: Well, there you go then, if God says it's OK . . . he IS the highest court in the universe . . .

GB: Maybe he can help with some of the equipment too - firey wrath, thunderbolds - how expensive can THAT be?

TB: Indeed - I'll get on the prayer phone right now, see if I can rustle up some divine intervention. But we ARE saying it's legal right?

GB: Legal, but expensive.

Lawyers: If God says it's ok, who's the U.N. to argue?
  11. Sixty

Sixty LE Moderator Book Reviewer
    1. ARRSE Cyclists and Triathletes

Frankly, if the Government doesn't veto it and refuse publication I'll stick a photograph of my arse in the gallery (steady ladies :D )

They know they're unlikely to win the next election. I suspect their thinking will be 'Why not refuse, take the hit and brass neck it out?'
  12. I think that's probably right. But I'm sure the government will appeal. I'm also sure that eventually they will have to release them, so might as well do it now.
  13. It looks like this might be the case. Remember how when we Invaded Afghan all those ships happened to be close by?

Clicky clicky

If anything does happen, I think these guys will be involved!

T C
  14. Now I've found the first thread.
    Change the word God for Bush and it's exactly what was said.
  15. Wouldn't disagree LISpace re the amount of discussion, but the Cabinet Secretary is duty bound to record his handwritten notes with the registry. So although we may well not see much in the way of headed paper, we can (at least at this stage) rest assured that a record does exist of meetings that will have taken place.

My own opinion is that this lack of credible audit (the handwritten record excepted), may well show once and for all, the cavalier attitude taken by the Blair government, in the days and weeks prior to D-Day. I suspect that many in the media will pick up on this angle, and therefore start to "intelligently" fill in the gaps.

Strangely, not only will this expose the foolish Blair (albeiit six years late), but one can only wonder of how many calls / meetings between Blair and his cronies have had the most cursory (if any) record kept? This could be as embarassing a moment as the Labour Government of Blair ever witnessed in office - and that is saying something.