Iraq. Militants take back Mosul, Tikrit and march on Baghdad

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by 2/51, Jun 12, 2014.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Saxon sees combat again...

2. Iraq's Shi'ite paramilitaries squeeze Islamic State towards Syria border
    A bit on the Shia militias driving IS out of Iraq. Everything seems to be centred on Mosul for now and they appear to have been successful in keeping the Shia militias away from that battle. They are now clearing the other areas of Iraq it seems:

3. Anbar's a bit iffy lately, a few ambushes.

About 30 members of the security forces have been killed in attacks and ambushes by the jihadists in the Rutba area over the past three weeks.

.:Middle East Online:::.

• Like Like x 1
  4. The Kurdish regional government in Iraq intend to hold a referendum on declaring independence from Iraq once the Mosul campaign is over. Kurds' push for referendum a potential headache for Canadian allies
    The Kurdish government intends to hold the referendum in September.
    US officials have said this referendum is significant, and that it is probably only a matter of time before Iraqi Kurdistan becomes independent.
    Turkey have said they will not accept this.
    Canada for one is not happy about the prospect of this, and would prefer that the issue would go away.
    Canada has been working with the Kurds against IS rather than with Baghdad, but that has been for reasons of expediency, not for any desire to support Kurdish political goals.
    Due to this situation, the Shia parties in Baghdad have raised demands that all foreign troops leave as soon as possible and are asking for a departure date.
    There are many more details in the news story which is worth reading in full.

The point to take away from this is that Kurdish independence efforts will raise the political tensions in Iraq, and complicate the situation in Syria still further. Turkey will not be happy either. The story does not go into the details of the consequences of this, but it is reasonable to speculate that the war in Iraq and Syria may enter a whole new dimension which has the potential to signficantly alter the map of the Middle East.

5. The moment I see the word diversity used in a positive manner, I just know that doing the exact opposite is the way to go.

6. Hundreds of refugees have become ill with food poisoning and several have died at a refugee camp near Mosul. The numbers being reported vary, but somewhere around 800 to 850 have been reported as ill. Hundreds ill with food poisoning, 2 die at Mosul camp for displaced
    At present investigators don't know how the contamination took place.
    The food had been prepared in a restaurant in Irbil by an NGO.
    The most interesting part of this story is that there is a tie-in with the Qatar situation. The NGO which is alleged to have donated the money for the food is based in Qatar. Whether or not that is true, Saudi state television has leapt on the issue, as has an Iraqi politician.

Saudi state television has said that the children have been poisoned by a Qatari terrorist organisation. Note, the "RAF" mentioned in the quote refers to a Qatari charity, not the other more well known RAF.

• Informative Informative x 1
  7. The following is an interesting story from Vice News on a city in northern Iraq after it has been liberated from IS. Locals in Iraqi town destroyed by ISIS stay to protect the ruins

Al-Hamdaniya is a bit unusual in that it is the largest Christian town in Iraq. None the less, the story is an interesting read, and worth reading in full as it provides a useful on the scene report of the current realities of life in Iraq.

One of the subjects covered is a description of the local militia which has been set up to provide security in the area. This militia was trained by western soldiers, and is a good example of the advanced planning that went into the current offensive. In many ways, the training being provided to these militias is as least as important to the current success as the air strikes which get much more press coverage.

The issue of who will govern the area, Baghdad or the Kurds, after the war also gets a mention. The training and arms which these militias have received may be useful at present, but it's a decision which may have major consequences for the future.

8. I personally think that the formation of an independent Kurdish nation would, in the long run lead to more, rather than less stability in the region.
    Iraq is hardly in any position to prevent this without external help & it might actually work in Iran's favour. Syria has other more pressing engagements...
    I'm sure Turkey would disagree but they've a less than stellar track record regarding the treatment of minorities & at some point the increasingly autocratic & paranoid leadership will need putting firmly back in its box.

9. There is a report that Abu Bakr al-Baghdadi, the head of IS, was killed in a Russian air strike in May.
    Russia claims to have killed ISIS leader
    He was supposedly killed when attending a meeting on the outskirts of Raqqa, along with 30 other mid-level leaders and about 300 other militants.
    Given that these sorts of people often seem to have more lives than a cat, I will take this report with a grain of salt for now.

10. It's a good job that the Russian are killing so many Daesh, the US can only kill civilians when they bomb Raqqa.

11. 100,000 civilians behind Islamic State lines in Iraqi city of Mosul
    100,000 people still held by IS in Mosul. Flee and get shot. Stay and be used as a human shield. Hunger, disease and starvation. Hobson's choice.

Still, the way some posters mention coalition casualties incurred, investigated and admitted if caused, but remain strangely silent on Russian and Syrian alleged civilian casualties; you'd think they had an agenda.

I heard this morning from an unnamed source that the Kurds are happy that the battle for Mosul is drawing to a close and they can concentrate on the next stage. Moving on towards the area beyond Mosul and finally ridding the area of IS.

All pawns of course in the power politics of the region, but glad of progress. Get rid of IS and hope the 'great powers' let them rather than play politics whilst the enemy is still on the field of battle

12. There's a very good chance that the story is a provocation, intended to flush out some senior IS figures to deny it and to undermine their prestige amongst the populace who currently cooperate with them out of intimidation.

There has been surprisingly little news about this event, given the number of IS figures supposedly killed. The news story that I linked quoted a number of people who expressed scepticism about it.

For these reasons and others, I am, as I said before, taking this report with a grain of salt for now.

13. Iraqi forces capture crossing on Syria border from IS - military statement
    Iraqi and Sunni militia forces have captured a border crossing from IS

14. I can't help laughing at the blatant propaganda that Russia punts out, no reason why they shouldn't though, there are enough people out there to take it all at face value.

• Like Like x 1
  15. I don't believe it because 1) it is a Russian news release and 2) wiping out that many IS commanders and Baghdadi would have generated some noise.
    If, on the other hand, Russia has achieved 300 civilian kills there would have been no comment, because that is just business as usual for Russia.

I call bullshitski.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2017
    • Like Like x 4