Iraq. Militants take back Mosul, Tikrit and march on Baghdad

But your point was that Mosul has a DU problem, with the implication that this was due to American bombing.
Very little DU has been used , because it is really only good for killing armour, so, why waste it on IS?
There MAY be some Gulf War legacy DU, but Iraq was such a polluted shithole I would hesitate to lay the incidence of north defects at DUs door.
Nice try though.
Nice try?
Do you think this is a competition or something?

Al Fallujah- Toxic legacy of US assault on Fallujah 'worse than Hiroshima'
Al Basra- https://www.globalresearch.ca/deple...ive-contamination-in-iraq-an-overview/5605215
US fired depleted uranium at civilian areas in 2003 Iraq war, report finds
Mosul details are sketchy but why should they be any different than the rest of the country?
Mosul- Cancer and birth defects in Iraq: The nuclear legacy

Syria-
The Pentagon said it wouldn’t use depleted uranium rounds against ISIS. Months later, it did — thousands of times.

Officials have confirmed that the US military fired thousands of rounds of depleted uranium (DU) weapons during two high-profile raids on oil trucks in Daesh controlled Syria in late 2015.

The discovery was made in an investigation by Foreign Policy Magazine, which exposed the use of DU by the American military despite promises by the US not to use the munition on the battlefield in Iraq and Syria. The use of DU is widely accepted to be a violation of the basic rules and principles enshrined in written and customary International Humanitarian Law.

US Central Command (CENTCOM) spokesman Major Josh Jacques told Foreign Policy that 5,265 armour-piercing 30mm rounds containing DU were shot from Air Force A-10 fixed-wing aircraft on 16 November and 22 November 2015, destroying about 350 vehicles in the country’s eastern desert.

US used depleted uranium against Daesh

Nice try?
Do you think this is a competition or something?

Al Fallujah- Toxic legacy of US assault on Fallujah 'worse than Hiroshima'
Al Basra- https://www.globalresearch.ca/deple...ive-contamination-in-iraq-an-overview/5605215
US fired depleted uranium at civilian areas in 2003 Iraq war, report finds
Mosul details are sketchy but why should they be any different than the rest of the country?
Mosul- Cancer and birth defects in Iraq: The nuclear legacy

Syria-
The Pentagon said it wouldn’t use depleted uranium rounds against ISIS. Months later, it did — thousands of times.

Officials have confirmed that the US military fired thousands of rounds of depleted uranium (DU) weapons during two high-profile raids on oil trucks in Daesh controlled Syria in late 2015.

The discovery was made in an investigation by Foreign Policy Magazine, which exposed the use of DU by the American military despite promises by the US not to use the munition on the battlefield in Iraq and Syria. The use of DU is widely accepted to be a violation of the basic rules and principles enshrined in written and customary International Humanitarian Law.

US Central Command (CENTCOM) spokesman Major Josh Jacques told Foreign Policy that 5,265 armour-piercing 30mm rounds containing DU were shot from Air Force A-10 fixed-wing aircraft on 16 November and 22 November 2015, destroying about 350 vehicles in the country’s eastern desert.

US used depleted uranium against Daesh
Nice try. Spouting shite, and failing to link up the dots. As usual.
You began by staying Mosul has a DU problem.
Last time I looked, Mosul was in IRAQ. Remember this point.
The Americans recently admitted using DU in SYRIA.
Then, you link to known DU issues in FALLUJAH. Which, my geographically challenged troll, is ALSO in IRAQ.
Also, Fallujah is highly contaminated with other toxins, specifically oil industry, chemical warfare residuals, and stupidly high levels of dioxins.
Most of which the Iraqis did to themselves.

So, you are complaining about something that happened in another country, possibly causing historical contamination in another country. Perhaps a time machine or teleport was in use.
I rarely descend to abuse.
You cock.

Everything, everywhere in the region gets DU used on it.
Why would you suppose that Mosul would be any different?
You said 'Very little DU has been used , because it is really only good for killing armour, so, why waste it on IS?' and I proved you completely wrong by posting the link to the US doing exactly that in Syria.
Here it is again in case you forgot about it in the last 10mins:

Try doing some research instead of just googling dioxins and oil-pollution in Fallujah and trying to out-compete me in your 'who's the biggest chopper competition'.

The ME is a radioactive desert and within a hundred years there'll probably be no-one left without birth defects.
A lot of DU/WP/DIME has been dropped there and elsewhere in the last 25yrs and as you know, especially with DU, it just travels on the wind in dust-form.

So, you are complaining about something that happened in another country, possibly causing historical contamination in another country. Perhaps a time machine or teleport was in use.
I rarely descend to abuse.
You cock.
No, I'm not complaining I'm just proving you wrong for kicks.

You're the biggest chopper and you win a fiver.
UI

You said 'Very little DU has been used , because it is really only good for killing armour, so, why waste it on IS?' and I proved you completely wrong by posting the link to the US doing exactly that in Syria.

Try doing some research instead of just googling dioxins and oil-pollution in Fallujah and trying to out-compete me in your 'who's the biggest chopper competition'.

The ME is a radioactive desert and within a hundred years there'll probably be no-one left without birth defects.
A lot of DU/WP/DIME has been dropped there and elsewhere in the last 25yrs and as you know, especially with DU, it just travels on the wind in dust-form.

UI
You're special you are. Honest.

UI
Christ on a Harley Davison.
Can't you make up your mind? Do you even HAVE a mind?

Compared to the amounts used in the Gulf Wars, a few thousand rounds of recent DU ammunition is negligible.
And Syria is still not in Iraq.

You can't make up your mind which country the Americans are supposed to have contaminated. Are they responsible for contaminating everything? Best have a word with the Iranians and the Iraqis as well.

DU DOESN'T disperse widely in the wind. It's a heavy metal. Clue is in the word 'heavy'. It stays still.You are just making stuff up.
White Phosphorus? Everyone uses that.
DIME(By which I presume you mean Dense Inert Metal Explosives) has, so far, only been reported being used by Israel in the Gaza Strip.
Which the last time I looked in an atlas wasn't in Syria OR Iraq.

Cock.

Most secondary contamination is from local scrap metal merchants moving wreckage around.

The ME is NOT a radioactive desert, despite your hysteria, but it is a highly contaminated area. Many of these chemically toxic contaminants cause birth defects.
These are not the Americans fault. It is usually the locals with their 'inshallah' attitude to waste disposal.

I watched the Vice video posted earlier by Terminal. It really is strikingly bleak footage no matter what aspect you try to watch it from. Absolute horror.

The sight of volunteers gagging on the stench from masses of rotting corpses reminded me of the Jihadi 'miracles of the battlefield' lie promulgated for many years that corpses of those who die as martyrs give of the smell of musk or perfume.

As an aside, there's no need to reason with those that won't see reason. It's no reason to engage and is the reason why a decent thread is difficult to read.

From the article

Jacques said that U.S. forces wanted to ensure that trucks would be rendered completely inoperable, adding that depleted-uranium rounds were the best way to achieve that, rather than the A-10’s standard high explosive cannon rounds.

Can some one run that by me - I would have thought that for destroying fuel truck the Hi Ex would have been the better option
Fuel + bangy bullet seems more likely to make truck go boom
Than very fast solid round passing through

The claim seems counter intuitive

For me too. A truck which is radioactive can still be driven by someone who doesn't mind dying whereas one which is spread about in small chunks can't be driven by anyone.

From the article

Jacques said that U.S. forces wanted to ensure that trucks would be rendered completely inoperable, adding that depleted-uranium rounds were the best way to achieve that, rather than the A-10’s standard high explosive cannon rounds.

Can some one run that by me - I would have thought that for destroying fuel truck the Hi Ex would have been the better option
Fuel + bangy bullet seems more likely to make truck go boom
Than very fast solid round passing through

Were their tankers armoured? It was a while ago the footage. Same on penetration of the engine blocks. Can 30mm HE penetrate a truck engine block?

Were their tankers armoured? It was a while ago the footage. Same on penetration of the engine blocks. Can 30mm HE penetrate a truck engine block?
Doesn't that depend on the HE fusing though ? There Semi armour piercing HE which could knacker any soft body engine.
Assuming its a fuse designed to go off inside, say, an APC after a time delay - the round hits the external body of the truck engine bay, passes through and may detonate inside the bay rather than hitting the block and doing the same. Any radiators, wiring, pipes, tubes etc are going to be blasted though and dependant on how thick or robust the cooling jacket, that could be punctured too. Also, if its HEI, its going to burn. The engine might be repairable if one is lucky, but it won't be in situ.
A solid round will put the engine beyond repair for sure. Think at least punctured casting and fecked pistons.

I must admit I had wondered if the article had it arse about face and the switch to DU was to disable the vehicles with minimum risk of spreading burning petrol in a densely populated are or somesuch

Would home made armour really achieve much - didn't the Yanks discover that the troops mprov armour fits on the Humvees actually made things more dangerous - more chance of being hit by spall than actually being shot if the armour wasn't there type thing

I watched the Vice video posted earlier by Terminal. It really is strikingly bleak footage no matter what aspect you try to watch it from. Absolute horror.

The sight of volunteers gagging on the stench from masses of rotting corpses reminded me of the Jihadi 'miracles of the battlefield' lie promulgated for many years that corpses of those who die as martyrs give of the smell of musk or perfume.

As an aside, there's no need to reason with those that won't see reason. It's no reason to engage and is the reason why a decent thread is difficult to read.
The points you raise are very good. The bit about the smell of the corpses and how this relates to Jihadi mythology is rather interesting. It makes you wonder whether or not it would be useful for this to receive more publicity. On the plus side, it might take some of the shine off being a martyr. On the negative side it can be used to reinforce the narrative that the authorities in Iraq are "not proper Muslims". It would take someone with good insight into the cultures of the various target communities to judge this in context.

With respect to who should be engaged with and to what degree on this and other threads, it seems ironic that the same people who most love to throw phrases such as "useful idiot" about are also the same people who seem to most lack the ability to look in a mirror to see if they themselves happen to fit that description.

The points you raise are very good. The bit about the smell of the corpses and how this relates to Jihadi mythology is rather interesting. It makes you wonder whether or not it would be useful for this to receive more publicity. On the plus side, it might take some of the shine off being a martyr. On the negative side it can be used to reinforce the narrative that the authorities in Iraq are "not proper Muslims". It would take someone with good insight into the cultures of the various target communities to judge this in context.

With respect to who should be engaged with and to what degree on this and other threads, it seems ironic that the same people who most love to throw phrases such as "useful idiot" about are also the same people who seem to most lack the ability to look in a mirror to see if they themselves happen to fit that description.
I did think of it from a psyops perspective but it's such a sh1t show that it's impossible to know what to think. What struck me about the volunteers is the lack of opinion about the whole situation; corpses, destruction, reconstruction and government.

I must admit I had wondered if the article had it arse about face and the switch to DU was to disable the vehicles with minimum risk of spreading burning petrol in a densely populated are or somesuch

Would home made armour really achieve much - didn't the Yanks discover that the troops mprov armour fits on the Humvees actually made things more dangerous - more chance of being hit by spall than actually being shot if the armour wasn't there type thing
IS had factories for their vehicles. I'm unsure on the tankers tbh. They mentioned civilians and fliers earlier in the article.

Later that year, the Pentagon’s stance toward depleted uranium changed. As U.S.-led forces ramped up their campaign to go after the Islamic State’s cash flow, U.S. planners for Operation Tidal Wave II decided that depleted-uranium ammunition would be the most effective weapon for targeting hundreds of Islamic State oil trucks in the Syrian desert. Jacques said that U.S. forces wanted to ensure that trucks would be rendered completely inoperable, adding that depleted-uranium rounds were the best way to achieve that, rather than the A-10’s standard high explosive cannon rounds. Typically, depleted-uranium rounds are used on armored vehicles, such as tanks and troop transports, and there is no international treaty or rule that explicitly bans their use.
Tbh, it's speculation but it seems sensible if you don't believe your HE would penetrate the engine blocks, to switch to API. I'm sure there's an expert on here on the A10: GAU-8 Avenger - Wikipedia
PGU-14/B API Armor Piercing Incendiary (DU)

Doesn't that depend on the HE fusing though ? There Semi armour piercing HE which could knacker any soft body engine.
Assuming its a fuse designed to go off inside, say, an APC after a time delay - the round hits the external body of the truck engine bay, passes through and may detonate inside the bay rather than hitting the block and doing the same. Any radiators, wiring, pipes, tubes etc are going to be blasted though and dependant on how thick or robust the cooling jacket, that could be punctured too. Also, if its HEI, its going to burn. The engine might be repairable if one is lucky, but it won't be in situ.
A solid round will put the engine beyond repair for sure. Think at least punctured casting and fecked pistons.
Thanks, as above for me i.e:

Tbh, it's speculation but it seems sensible if you don't believe your HE would penetrate the engine blocks, to switch to API. I'm sure there's an expert on here on the A10: GAU-8 Avenger - Wikipedia
PGU-14/B API Armor Piercing Incendiary (DU)

I did think of it from a psyops perspective but it's such a sh1t show that it's impossible to know what to think. What struck me about the volunteers is the lack of opinion about the whole situation; corpses, destruction, reconstruction and government.
Given that the authorities were opposed to the whole idea of cleaning up the corpses at all (I seem to recall the volunteers were told to leave the corpses for the dogs to eat), I suspect that expressing an opinion that was too openly contrary to the government line would not result in a long and happy existence in Iraq.

I think their dedication and community spirit in the face of government opposition though is commendable.

Thanks, as above for me i.e:

The explanation seems like a rationalisation to me. I wonder if either there was a shortage of rounds and they went with what they had, or someone simply cocked up and loaded the wrong rounds.

Christ on a Harley Davison.
Can't you make up your mind? Do you even HAVE a mind?

Compared to the amounts used in the Gulf Wars, a few thousand rounds of recent DU ammunition is negligible.
And Syria is still not in Iraq.

You can't make up your mind which country the Americans are supposed to have contaminated. Are they responsible for contaminating everything? Best have a word with the Iranians and the Iraqis as well.

DU DOESN'T disperse widely in the wind. It's a heavy metal. Clue is in the word 'heavy'. It stays still.You are just making stuff up.
White Phosphorus? Everyone uses that.
DIME(By which I presume you mean Dense Inert Metal Explosives) has, so far, only been reported being used by Israel in the Gaza Strip.

Cock.

Most secondary contamination is from local scrap metal merchants moving wreckage around.

The ME is NOT a radioactive desert, despite your hysteria, but it is a highly contaminated area. Many of these chemically toxic contaminants cause birth defects.
These are not the Americans fault. It is usually the locals with their 'inshallah' attitude to waste disposal.
I'm guessing you're having a discourse with 186442.74, AKA loonspud central.
I shoudn't bother if I were you, as, like all good Russians, he ignores any & all facts that refute his loonspuddery, whilst posting blatant untruths & assorted tinfoil hattery as the gospel truth.
I put the deranged mong on ignore & the IQ of this thread has more than doubled as a result.

Last edited:
You're right they're thousands of miles apart and radiation doesn't travel in dust-form from DU either.
BBC News | Sci/Tech | Depleted uranium 'threatens Balkan cancer epidemic'

1523936902810.png

Armoured tankers? That's not plausible in reality.
Tankers if/when hit with HE/sabot or ignited with IED will burn like buggery, the heat is massively intense and melts everything.
The engine block is the least of your worries as the cab and everything will be melted and U/S forever more.

1523938814884.png

The cover for US DU usage in that instance was just a..... cover, and a badly constructed one at that.

You're right they're thousands of miles apart and radiation doesn't travel in dust-form from DU either.
BBC News | Sci/Tech | Depleted uranium 'threatens Balkan cancer epidemic'

View attachment 331229

Armoured tankers? That's not plausible in reality.
Tankers if/when hit with HE/sabot or ignited with IED will burn like buggery, the heat is massively intense and melts everything.
The engine block is the least of your worries as the cab and everything will be melted and U/S forever more.

View attachment 331233

The cover for US DU usage in that instance was just a..... cover, and a badly constructed one at that.
How curious, then, that the image you post lauding the might of your Russian Air Force looks so very similar to an image from 2011. The caption for that suggests it's a convoy of 19 fuel trucks heading to AFG from PAK: it had been stopped and torched by 'unknown gunmen'. The audience is provided by the drivers of said trucks.

Gunmen set NATO tankers ablaze in Pakistan

But you already knew that. Didn't you.