Iraq leaders demand pullout timetable

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by PartTimePongo, Nov 21, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. http://english.aljazeera.net/NR/exeres/BA0BD6DB-6ED0-493B-92DC-E06294EEB1F4.htm

Oh but hang on, if we announce a timetable , won't this be "Giving in to terrorism"????

Oh this is a paradox "We will only stay in Iraq as long as they want us there, and not a second longer - Tell us when you are getting out of our bloody country - we are not announcing a timetable for withdrawl, as this is giving in to the terrorists"

FmoBB :roll: Let's see the politicians respond to this one .They can't possibly miss it , it's in the very conspicuous canister marked 'lifeline'

The resolution in more detail there is some disturbing language used here.

http://www.bloomberg.com/apps/news?pid=10000087&sid=aDLgOBgqARvw&refer=top_world_news

2. The article seem's to link rebuilding the armed forces BEFORE withdrawal of foreign forces. When that day comes it will be time to withdraw. The government needs to be able to control its border areas first and then the population centers.

3. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

That’s as maybe but it clearly calls for a clear timetable for the pullout of troops. Dress it up however you like but they have decided to ask us to leave. No ifs no buts we have to leave.

4. Not only have they asked us to leave, and pulled the rest of the Arab world in , they are asking us to accelerate training of troops most tout suite, and don't let the door hit us in the arrse on the way out.

The language used Tom , also sends a clear message we have outstayed our welcome. We are not referred to as Coalition , Allied or PK's , we're referred to as Foreign.

I really wish you could have seen the Galbraith interview tonight. Hell, I wish you could have seen the admission by the senior State official that we are facilitating the Mahdi Army.

5. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Don’t you ever sleep PTP? :D

You are right though – they now see us as part of the problem rather than part of the solution. And I would have to say I don’t disagree. Time has come to get out and let them run things their own way.

6. Can't sleep tonight Ord, I tried, but it's "Dad day" tomorrow. Think I pressed this shirt about 5 times over so far :(

I don't know if you saw C4 Dispatches tonight, but even taking the reporters doom laden message away , it just wasn't good.

7. If we where to leave them with a Perfectly trained Army they would be back to there normal tricks in very short order. Have 'We' not found one of the own 'Prisons' recently.
    Compared with the noise that came out over the mistreatmnet at Abu's Grave the wailing over this centre for Black and Decker training as been as silence.
    john

8. You know Jonwilly, sometimes I have dark , non-aligned thoughts. Chief among these is "Just how bad was Saddam really"?

I'd like the definitive answer on that.

One things for sure, young muslim women weren't getting stoned to death or shot for wearing a pair of jeans in the wrong area. They certainly weren't taking a bullet up the Yoni for going out with the wrong young man. They sure as hell weren't getting beheaded for not adhering to strict sharia law.

Who provided us with all the figures and reports of Saddams excesses? Not saying he wasn't a murdering despotic bastard, would just like to know how bad he really was.

9. I did nine years working with Arabs and IMO they have not progressed beyond tribalisam, same as Africa.
    The Koran has never been updated and is still set in the the year DOT.
    We and the yanks did so much to keep Sadam in power back in the days when he took a Panzer assault and converted it back in time to trench warfare. He was no threat to any nation of any size. Kuwait like so many Gulf states had armed forces who are just there to keep the civ pop in line.
    Sadam and Arab states revert to basic and the If your not my freind becomes then your my enemy.
    I don't think Arabs make good 'conventional' soldiers Military Disipline is an anathama to their Democratic Tribal system. We used to say they could go back one generation to the Camel age and living in tents in the desert.
    As a race they got propelled generations into the future by the wealth of Oil but the basics of their belifes have never changed and the system is wide open to fanatics who abuse the teachings of Islam.
    I know Muslims here where I live and have no problems with their interpritation of their faith.
    john

10. Pull out then PTP, as always we will turn out the lights.

11. Tom, we weren't talking about pulling out, the Iraqi Government are saying they want us out. That includes US Forces. I thought your team also said "We are only there as long as they want us there, not a second more?"

12. My team is there for the long haul PTP, despite the public posturing of the Iraqi politicians.

13. Iraqi Leaders Urge a Timetable for Eventual Troop Withdrawal ------Bloomberg Headline

Iraq leaders demand pullout timetable------------------------------------Aljazeera Headline
    There is a big difference in the headlines. Aljazeera is spinning

I did not see the demand, I did see a called for the withdrawal and a No date was specified. How is that a demand. It seems a pretty tepid statement. The withdrawal of foreign troops according to a timetable. When we withdraw there will have to be some sort of time table, that is just reasonable.through putting in place an immediate national program to rebuild the armed forces--------- of course ,That is what we have been doing for the last 2 years.

As far as coalition troops being referred to a foreign troops, I think the term foreign troops could be more inclusive than just coalition troops. It could mean foreign fighters as well. Foreign troops is referring to Zarqawi and his foreign fighters as well coalition troops.

Don't we all

This is how I would interrupt the statement below

We can all agree with that

Also ,there is going to be a new government in a month, let's see what they will say.

14. Peter!

I don't expect any changes after the elections. Future Shia majority will pretend to be 'against occupation' and will rather urge than demand the withdrawal. Really they fear to be accused later as invitors of occupants. So on words many Shia (and Kurdish) leaders would be for the 'timetable'. Really (they are not fools) they prefer current situation than prospect of open Sunni offensive for power.

15. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

I don' get it NC & T6 you seem to want to be at war in Iraq. Surely a position where by your troops are not getting killed and you are at peace is what is important? Sometimes I just don't get you lot.