Iraq launches recruitment drive

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by PartTimePongo, Nov 2, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

Long overdue and about time too. Keep them busy as well, stops them instructing insurgent cadres. Recruit the more popular Officers hopefully, and their old platoons and Coys will drift back gradually too.
  2. So it took the insurgents about ... say ... five minutes to start recruiting ex-army bods. The US takes two and a half years. Who is inside who's decision cycle ?
  3. Someone who doesn't like the Sunnis at a guess.

Now we'll start to move forward as regards getting a handover date to a motivated Iraqi Army with any luck.
  4. I have no doubt that the Iraqi Army can be motivated. However, whether they will fight for the Iraqi nation state or their own ethnic or religious grouping remains to be seen. What they say now may be a touch biased - asking someone a question upon which their employment depends in a country without any form of welfare state does tend to mean you hear what you want to.
  5. The IA don't tend to be too bad, in my experience. THey're by no means perfect, of course, but compared to the IPS they are much less motivated by tribal loyalty.
  6. I fear it is too late. However, next logical step is to invite former Saddam's generals and at last to invite Saddam himself. No doubt he is able to stop the insurgency very soon.
  7. If only Bremner had stopped at just sacking the Generals.

How many Majors were there in the RG and IA who were combat veterans from Kuwait and Gulf 1? How many Colonels had been schooled in military doctrine outside Iraq.?
  8. The only thing that worries me about this is that this initiative comes from the President Talabani (a kurd) :? so it could I think be seen by some Shia as a move to limit their power over the new IA. But I guess it has to be seen whether this will be a successful venture first!
  9. I think Talabani wants some useful troops between him and the Shi'a. Let's face it, he can certainly do deals with them about Mosul and Aleppo? Sorry, can't be arrsed to look for the Map of NE Iraq at the moment. He may also be thinking that he can't drink oil and gold.
  10. Rayc

Rayc RIP

The recruitment of ex Iraqi Army personnel has its pluses and minuses.

It unfortunately indicates that the US policy of disbanding the Iraqi Army was totally flawed and cussed.

By recruiting old Iraqi Army personnel, it also indicates that the US policy is at sixes and sevens. This is a poor reflection on the long term visualisation capability of the US Administration and hardly exhilarating for the morale. Can't have those in charge being seen as dithering old fogeys, can we?! :wink:

What is the guarantee that these blokes are not pro terrorists or not have had a tenure with the terrorist or that they are now fifth columnists?

After all, would the ex IA Personnel trust anyone who, in the first place, have had doubts about the Iraqi Army's loyalty and have sent them packing without any rationale and thereby being totally demeaning for them (especially for those who were not really for Saddam) and "undemocratic"!?

In fact, for them it is another sign that the US policy is failing and that the US has no option but to undertake a volte face! Therefore, it is an indicator for ex IA's moral ascendency. Dangerous!

If such people with doubtful loyalty are recruited and have access to sensitive areas or undertake sensitive operations, the situation will become even worse.

All one can hope that the US Adminstration stops dithering and not make the whole issue a buggers muddle.
  11. Or we could be recruiting proud , professional (after a fashion) trained soldiers who do what we all aspire to do. Fight for each other and by default , the flag and all that entails?

I did post some time ago on the news reports that were being shown on Iraqi TV pre-war of coverage from the Iran Iraq war. Those soldiers were professional, and more than up for it.

I'm not saying they all are, but the Sunnis were the Officer corps and SNCO's in Saddam's Army I believe. Some units of the RG were very good by anyone's standards. I imagine it might even offend their military sensibilities to see some of the dross currently calling themselves the Iraqi Army.

I don't regard it as an embarrassing failure on behalf of the US and us to reach out to them, I regard it as simply facing the fact they are the best body of men to recruit.

Especially as the b*stards appear to have kept their martial skills up to scratch.

Anyway , I'll put the champagne on ice for the day they indict Bremner :D
  12. Washington Post

Simply recruiting soliders alone is not going to work...It is a facinating article, and it boils down to leadership, leadership, leadership. The insurgents are way ahead of the IZ army, because they are motivated and through Darwinian selection the calibre of their surviving leaders is going to be exceptionally good :x