Iraq: Japan leaves, Aussies next ?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Goatman, Jun 20, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Apologies if this has appeared elsewhere:

Le Chevre
  2. Another slant on it might be that they have to nip back to Japan to build some new Nissan huts! They are flying back honda 'plane!
  3. My best bet here is that Australia will probably withdraw their troops from Iraq but PM Howard is keen to be seen as a loyal and active allie and may redeploy all or some troops to Afganistan to join troops already deployed there or boost the troops struggling in East Timor. The Aussie Army has never been so busy (since the 60's) and is short on bayonets hence they are actually expanding the Army. Long over due. Considering the increasing amount of regional unrest around the Pacific Islands, PNG and Timor plus the desire to participate in US foreign policy adventures I reckon the Aust Army will see a prolonged period of growth in size and capability.
  4. Were they not more of a burden because they needed minding all the time?
  5. The Aussies won't leave. Their HQ in Baghdad is the most efficient self-licking ice cream in the world and they get mucho perks for being there.

The Japanese are less then pivotal, a few chaps building bridges and power plants protected by 300 samurai, I mean soldiers.

Also the Aussies can't go because they do the best BBQs in Theatre.
  6. Anyone else see the delicious irony in the above statement?
  7. chrisg46

chrisg46 LE Book Reviewer

But are they leaving cos its too dangerous, or because they are no longer needed?

Arent the Aussies mainly in Muthanna? some SOF up in Baghdad etc? Once muthanna is handed back to locals, will they go elsewhere in the sand pit or home?
  8. Apparently they are heading to Nasiriyah to take over from the Italians, who just found their "fourth reverse gear" and departed..
  9. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

The Japanese - their work is done, they have spent a VERY large amount of money in the Province, and can depart with their heads held high (relatively speaking, of course).

As for the Diggers, if you wait a couple of days you'll probably see an official announcement, and I would recommend limiting speculation until then. I will say though, that there is NO CHANCE WHATSOEVER of the Aussies going to Al Anbar!

Meanwhile, both countries will continue to contribute, so the Flag count remains the same, which will keep the Americans happy :)
  10. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

O-S fyi,
    Source: interesting to know what the plans for ongoing Justice Pillar engagement are once the Brits have extracted.....

Le Chevre
  11. That's a shame, the Italians did a decent enough job. The Carabenieri took over from one of my unit's position in Nasiriyah, moved into the HQ building. Very squared away bunch of young soldiers with good attitudes. The unit spent a couple of weeks with them before the change over. I've never seen a group more **** retentive than the Carabenieri, all their vehicles were dressed on each other at all times and cleaned daily as if being readied for inspection. They ate like kings compared to us, I remember seeing whole sides of beef thawing outside. Two months later I was back in the states and saw that same building on TV reduced to rubble from a car bomb, poor bastards.