Iraq insurgents hack into video feeds from US drones

RP578

LE
Book Reviewer
Iraq insurgents 'hack into video feeds from US drones'

Oh dear.

Insurgents in Iraq have hacked into live video feeds from unmanned American drone aircraft, US media reports say.

Shia fighters are said to have used off-the-shelf software programs such as SkyGrabber to capture the footage.

The hacking was possible because the remotely flown planes have an unprotected communications link.

Obtaining such video feeds could provide insurgents with information about sites the military might be planning to target.

The breach of the Pentagon surveillance system's security is said to have come to light when footage shot by a Predator drone was found on the laptop of an apprehended Iraqi insurgent.

A senior Pentagon official is quoted as saying that although militants were able to view the video, there was no evidence that they were able to jam electronic signals from the aircraft or take control of them.

The unnamed official said the US defence department had addressed the issue by working to encrypt all video feeds provided by drones in Iraq, Afghanistan and Pakistan.

Predator drones can fly for several hours, remotely controlled by pilots thousands of miles away. The aircraft can carry out surveillance and attack targets with on-board missiles.

Pentagon spokesman Bryan Whitman said the US military continually evaluated the technologies it used and quickly corrected any potential problems it discovered.

"There's potential vulnerabilities in all of our systems," he said.

Nothing new here I'm afraid. Its been done for quite some time as many Satellite enthusiasts will tell you. Some very interesting feeds come through.
I believe that some enthusiasts down South got in touch with the US military and informed them.

Of questionable intel value to someone on the ground (happy to be corrected). If you don't know it's above you and can't see or hear it the feed is going to be like looking down a soda straw onto a target area.

If you know it's above you however.... who knows :-( you might be able to get TTPs for soldiers on the ground, but it possibly won't save you from a hellfire headache :)

You would be very surprised at some of the feeds, I sure as hell was the first time I picked up.

Interestingly there is a lot of Bank transmissions too, amongst other things.

.338lapua_magnum said:
Nothing new here I'm afraid. Its been done for quite some time as many Satellite enthusiasts will tell you. Some very interesting feeds come through.
I believe that some enthusiasts down South got in touch with the US military and informed them.
Mmmmm..brave souls then, lucky their not UK residents then as they'd be looking at extradition 'n' 30+ in a Federal with 'Bubba' or is he only 'State'..??..

That is a peice of wonderful procurement 'shall we encrypt the data feed?' "nah, bunch of idiots down there, they'll never figure it out, put some cool stickers or something on instead".

A senior Pentagon official is quoted as saying that although militants were able to view the video, there was no evidence that they were able to jam electronic signals from the aircraft or take control of them.
I wonder how long it'll be before they manage that, too. I can just imagine them being flown back over the Septic bases and the missiles being fired off.

MsG

BlueDanubeWalt said:
.338lapua_magnum said:
Mmmmm..brave souls then, lucky their not UK residents then as they'd be looking at extradition 'n' 30+ in a Federal with 'Bubba' or is he only 'State'..??..
Quite a lot of the feeds are unencrypted, therefore no 'hacking' involved. free viewing for anyone who has the equipment and the inclination to look.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Fancy that. It's sixteen years since someone hacked into the PoW's rather personal phone call to Camilla - it is reasonably to be supposed that the hacker geeks keep up with the technology as it evolves; reasonable to suppose that the US DoD employs people who ought to be aware of that. Gee, Elmer, whaddya know?

.338lapua_magnum said:
BlueDanubeWalt said:
.338lapua_magnum said:
Quite a lot of the feeds are unencrypted, therefore no 'hacking' involved. free viewing for anyone who has the equipment and the inclination to look.
Cool...can you give me a link..??

Due to the way the laws are written in this country it is an offence to knowingly show someone how to 'hack' satellite. If on the other hand you look for and investigate Linux based multi sat systems you start to learn. :wink:

Bugsy said:
I wonder how long it'll be before they manage that, too. I can just imagine them being flown back over the Septic bases and the missiles being fired off.

MsG
They are viewing the video feed, not the control signals, which should be encrypted! If the control signals are not protected in some way then heads really should roll.

This brings up a broader question which I've wondered about recently - with all the sophisticated hardware and software being developed for battlefield managment what happens if Orange forces capture a vehicle - or soldier - which has a terminal?

If this was high enough up the command chain couldn't they then see Blue force's deployments?

Clearly there should be encrypted signals.

However I keep having an image in my mind of a couple of insurgents:

"Tareq, what is it that we are seeing". I am not sure Kareem, it looks like our village. Yes it is, there is our house. I wonder what the dot on the door means? Does it........."

Totally unbelievable and incompetance. Haven't these fools heard of encryption? Its standard in the military and industry to use it.

Although the insurgents may not be able to control it, it does provide them with valuable information.

What worries me is that apparently we have bought a few of the yanks...what is the state of those.

This may partly explain why it was so easy for a retard to hack into their highly secret computer system that is connected to the internet :roll: and why they so desperatly want to extradite him (so he can teach them not to be so idiotic).

"A bit like the Irish drones then...
www.independent.ie/nat...66358.html"

Yes trust Paddy, always good for a laugh.
Still I believe that ALL electronics can and will be jammed, interfered with or 'Read' by the opposition.
Just a matter of time, as per Enigma, uncrackable, until Britain with assistance from the Pole and the Frog learned how to read it.
john

Latest Threads