Iraq insurgents hack into video feeds from US drones

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by RP578, Dec 17, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. RP578

RP578 LE Book Reviewer

Iraq insurgents 'hack into video feeds from US drones'

Oh dear.

2. Nothing new here I'm afraid. Its been done for quite some time as many Satellite enthusiasts will tell you. Some very interesting feeds come through.
    I believe that some enthusiasts down South got in touch with the US military and informed them.
  3. Of questionable intel value to someone on the ground (happy to be corrected). If you don't know it's above you and can't see or hear it the feed is going to be like looking down a soda straw onto a target area.

If you know it's above you however.... who knows :-( you might be able to get TTPs for soldiers on the ground, but it possibly won't save you from a hellfire headache :)
  4. You would be very surprised at some of the feeds, I sure as hell was the first time I picked up.

Interestingly there is a lot of Bank transmissions too, amongst other things.
  5. Mmmmm..brave souls then, lucky their not UK residents then as they'd be looking at extradition 'n' 30+ in a Federal with 'Bubba' or is he only 'State'..??..
  6. That is a peice of wonderful procurement 'shall we encrypt the data feed?' "nah, bunch of idiots down there, they'll never figure it out, put some cool stickers or something on instead".
  7. I wonder how long it'll be before they manage that, too. I can just imagine them being flown back over the Septic bases and the missiles being fired off.

8. Suicide Drone!
  9. Quite a lot of the feeds are unencrypted, therefore no 'hacking' involved. free viewing for anyone who has the equipment and the inclination to look.
  10. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Fancy that. It's sixteen years since someone hacked into the PoW's rather personal phone call to Camilla - it is reasonably to be supposed that the hacker geeks keep up with the technology as it evolves; reasonable to suppose that the US DoD employs people who ought to be aware of that. Gee, Elmer, whaddya know?
  11. Cool...can you give me a link..??
  12. Due to the way the laws are written in this country it is an offence to knowingly show someone how to 'hack' satellite. If on the other hand you look for and investigate Linux based multi sat systems you start to learn. :wink:
  13. They are viewing the video feed, not the control signals, which should be encrypted! If the control signals are not protected in some way then heads really should roll.