IRAQ INSPECTION: A LOOK AT WHERE NATION IS HEADED

Discussion in 'Multinational HQ' started by Trip_Wire, Sep 4, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

I have to agree with many points in this article, especially the reporters (Ralph Peters) closing remarks.:

"We're winning in the streets of Baghdad, but we may lose in the corridors of power."

A New York Times Report

IRAQ INSPECTION

A LOOK AT WHERE NATION IS HEADED

September 4, 2007 -- BAGHDAD

THERE is no substitute for being on the ground if you want a sense of where Iraq may be headed. The reality is almost always different when you smell it up close.

Back in the United States, I receive updates from a wide range of military friends and acquaintances - yet, no matter how much progress they report, the constant negativity in the media starts to wear me down, too.

Link to article.:

http://www.nypost.com/seven/09042007/postopinion/opedcolumnists/iraq_inspection.htm?page=0

2. Hi Trip Wire,
    for what its worth, I thought I would bung in my penny’s-worth of comments to the article you referred to.
    First of all, I agree with you... (does that happen often) ? The article is one of the better examples from the genre “journalism”. Probably because he is one of the few journalists that has bothered to get out of his sheltered bunker and do a bit of the real work they are being paid for - research, observation, communication and the presentation of facts and opinions to the reader. I haven’t included the word “impartial” here because it is a very difficult thing to be in a situation like this. Nevertheless, he seems to have hit the right tone.
    However, there are a few things I would like to comment upon.

“Can Iraq become the model democracy of which we dreamed? No. But it can evolve as a state that treats its citizens with reasonable fairness, hears their voices - and rejects both terror and aggression. In the context of the Middle East, that's still a big win.”

We dreamed.!!! Dreamed is a great word to use here. It sums up the roots of the whole effin chaos that the US government and its idiotic counterparts in the UK have got themselves, and, what’s worse, us into. They certainly were not awake, or even on this planet, when they made the decision to try and shove democracy down the throats of a people who have never ever experienced a “democratic” society of the western political school of thought. Where I come from it has taken nearly 500 years to get anywhere near practicing the definition – and it’s still full of bloody big holes. How the hell did anybody with more than one brain cell expect this to succeed. Ralph Peters is correct. The answer is NO. This question should have been asked and the answer known before this desperately sad, pathetic situation ever reached the planning rooms of the Pentagon and MOD in London.

This brings me to the next part of my futile rant.....

"Our active-duty officers stay out of politics, but they certainly feel its effects. The disgraceful squabbling on Capitol Hill and the partisanship of our flamboyantly irresponsible media (oh, the stories public-affairs officers could tell . . .) complicate the situation for our forces in Iraq.”

Absolutely correct. But this is where the abscess begins. The “disgraceful squabbling” is costing the lives of soldiers and civilians every day. Lt. Col Paul Yingling’s essay on “Generalship” (also on another forum here) pinpoints this disgusting situation. I recommend everyone to read this article. It saves me a lot of waffle and you the pain of reading it !!

“THE bottom line? Our troops are doing their job, and they're doing it bravely and brilliantly. If only we could say the same about Washington . . .
    Can we achieve a favorable outcome in Iraq? Yes. But achieving it depends on politicians behaving like statesmen - in Baghdad and in Washington.”

Too late, the damage is done. I don’t believe there are any “statesmen” left in either of our countries. They are all below the ground and they don’t make them any more. I suppose if they brought Humanism back into the educations system we could produce a couple in fifty years time.

Rant over, got to get back to work.

3. I hope your wrong about that last part. I think you're right, but I hope we're wrong

4. Where Iraq is heading:

[​IMG]

5. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

crabtastic:

Is this where you do your foot tapping, ala Foot Tapping Senator Larry Craig? Or just your living room?

6. :D

7. Not bad, Trip, not bad. As I recall, you were the one expressing some interest in going cottaging a while back. Still, I'm guessing you don't manage to do much foot-tapping these days now that you've got one of them in the grave.

8. scaryspice

scaryspice LE Moderator

Crab and Trip - do knock it off and get a room.

Discussion on topic please rather than always slagging each other off.