Iraq: How bad can things get?

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by PartTimePongo, Sep 21, 2004.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Interesting piece by Paul Wood.

It's not all doom and gloom , but it's not exactly happy reading either. :cry:
  2. I hope this bunch of idiots in power have read this, but given their arrogance I highly doubt it.

I hope he's happy about what he's lead us into- probably is knowing his arrogance.

So where to next Oh Great Leader :roll:
  3. According to the un arent we all war criminals now ? hope so rather watch cable in a cushy cell than spend 2 weeks in otterburn :lol:
    guess it wont be over by x mas
  4. The Hagues nice at this time of year.
  5. Have to admit, this article makes me laugh.

1. The Brits are doing a great job in Basra...but Bush gets credit!
    2. The guy training the Iraqis says it goes in 1 ear and out the other. Has he ever worked at an ATR?
    3. Smuggling "female" sheep? Best not go there.
    4. "Every British unit rotated through N Ireland". Well at leats a yank accepts that terrorism in the world didn't start on Sep 11.
    5. And some US acknowledgement that us Brits are good at a bit of restraint. Unfortunately the Yanks seem to continually think they are starring in Black Hawk Down.

Nice find hackle.
  6. Good article didnt point out that patroling in non armoured vechicles cos we got no alternative :) .Having to practisce restraint must have been really hard on the blokes out there since the milltants deserve everthing they get .
  7. Mr Happy

Mr Happy LE Moderator

Personally I was quite pleased to see that they've even acknowledged the British are there....

Speaking of which,

Did anyone else see the John Kerry PP Broadcast/advertisement in Iraq only featured Britfor fighting, no pictures of US Soldiers 'in country'. Makes you proud you're doing your bit for The Democrats.
  8. Look, the damage has been done. What's the point of pissing and moaning about the situation which we're partially in because of human rights groups. The process in Iraq has been slowed by all the bureaucractic bullshit created by human rights groups like Amnesty International and the UN. People like Sadr need to be destroyed.

Who knows, maybe we should just start taking arabs hostage and instead of killing them, publicly broadcasting a live video feed of them being tortured until these militants piss off.

I remember in Basra, 'back in the day', when a Royal Marine stood on top of a vehicle and drew his pistol on someone trying to run off with something that obviously wasn't his. People cheered the fact that laws were being enforced, not only in my house but Iraqi's that witnessed the incident.

All the people back home see are people crying and screaming in a language that the majority do not understand and the media say they're screaming about hating us all and wanting to kill us. The majority of Iraqi's support the downfall of Saddam and in the beginning, supported us too. The yanks need to get their shit together and work out how to fight a hearts and minds campaign. The Aussies did very well at it during Vietnam, and no-one knows how to fight a street battle than you lot with all your experience 'over the water'.

I mean really, its got to a point where we're just digging the hole deeper by letting this shit drag on. Deny the media access and kill these bastards.
  9. It's already happening in Al Amarah and Basra and it's counter-productive. The media, like it or not, is a vital part of the democratic process. I doubt footage of Britforce kicking some militia arrse would go down badly at the moment, given the opposition's butchery of civilian hostages. The public likes payback too. It's the vote-fearful politicians who've given orders to restrict media access because they're worried about upsetting the Muslim vote in the UK.

As someone said a couple of weeks ago, not all Muslims are terrorists, but all terrorists at the moment seem to be Muslims. We should be in among them, giving them the good news, every time they attack our patrols or bases. And we should publicise the fact. Arabs respect only strength. Anything short of a show of force is regarded as weakness.
  10. Anybody here read 'The Devil's Guard'?

I'm not suggesting we follow it to the letter, but there are some interesting ideas therein!
  11. from the comments within, i must admit, that the news only want to portray 'their news'
    shame that people over here don't want to see whats happening blow by blow, but are getting sidetracked by other issue's.
    not having a dig at anyone, but who said' today is a good time to bury bad news?'
  12. Absolutely. It's the only way anything got done in the past and it's the only way things will get done a long way into the future.
  13. Iraq - How bad can things get?

Well they've just opened a Subway on SLB which is a fcukin bonus!