Iraq forces battle Basra militias

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by FNUSNU, Mar 25, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Heavy fighting has been raging in Basra as thousands of Iraqi troops battle Shia militias in the southern city.

I suppose this means and end to the ceasefire and the COB will be be IDF city now. I hope they'll all be ok.
  2. That's right. Am just chatting to an Iraqi translator who is in hiding in Basra (well done Millibland) who is currently hearing the sound of explosions and gunfire. He also sees that British Military aircraft are having a busy day too. Life's not much fun if you happen to be an Iraqi in Basra nowadays.
  3. Here's hoping for a good result with as few casualties as possible. I met a lot of decent people in Basra and can only hope they aren't caught in the crossfire.
  4. It seems to be Iraqi security forces taking it to the Mhardi Army, don't see why the cease-fire with Brit troops should be effected.

Hopefully it will show the bad guys that the IA can plan and execute high level ops in their own cities and kill a lot of militia. If this Op goes well it might make Basrah a safer place for Joe Public.

Stick it to 'em guys.