Iraq ends licence for Blackwater

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by fantassin, Jan 29, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Iraq ends licence for Blackwater

Iraq will not renew the licence of US security firm Blackwater, which was involved in an 2007 incident in which at least 14 civilians were killed.
    An interior ministry spokesman said the US embassy had been told it will have to use another security company.

Five former Blackwater guards have gone on trial in the United States over the killings in Baghdad.

They have pleaded not guilty to killing 14 Iraqi civilians and wounding 18 others by gunfire and grenades.

"The contract is finished and will be not be renewed by order of the minister of the interior," said interior ministry spokesman Maj Gen Abdel Karim Khalaf.

More at:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/middle_east/7857844.stm

2. So they will act without the license.

3. Blackwater can hide behind several mystiques and offshore affiliates. Dont think they will see this as a problem. Whats the betting the PSDs in court get found not guilty.

4. chimera

chimera LE Moderator

I am not so sure. Now Obama has the con perhaps the days of strident US arrogance in Iraq are rapidly waning. We ("The Coalition" gave Iraq its democratic sovereignty - now they are using it!

5. I reckon this will last right up until the point the State Dept hands the Iraqi Govt a list of US funded tasks and projects that cannot go ahead without BW security.

The Iraqi Govt will then announce it has now recieved additional assurances about BW operations and changed its mind and granted them a license.

6. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Blackwater, along with the rest of the PSC industry, are looking to develop business interests and opportunities outside of Iraq anyway.

Who would want to base their whole business model on life in Iraq continuing as normal under a new US President, a proposed withdrawl plan and an Iraqi government (of sorts) becoming more etsablished?

7. in_the_cheapseats

in_the_cheapseats LE Moderator

There are a few other PSC who will be dancing with joy at this - Blue Hackle for one. There are other companies that will be able to pick up some sof the slack pretty quickly. Expect many BW employees with other masters shortly.

8. Blackwater is a company run by a right-wing religious Republican supporter.

Under Obama,this company can expect to lose(or not have renewed) many contracts with the US government.

9. Brit owned companies like Blue Hackle might find it hard to get some of the State Dept contracts. They like to hire US companies wherever possible, especially companies with exemptions like disabled service veteran owned etc.

10. Triple Canopy will be jumping for joy at this seeing they have a lot of state department contracts all ready I think agies will do quite well out of it to they have a fair few US and Iraqi contracts to expand on

11. Just another reason for someone to want to put a bullet in Obama's head....

Wonder if we could do sweepstake on how long it'll be... :?

12. Funnily enough when I read the top post before I came to yours it was the first thing that sprang to mind...mess with the 'vested' money interests...tread carefully.... :wink: