Iraq Constitution: Bad news for Christians

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by WJHII, Oct 19, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Iraq Constitution: Bad news for Christians

By William John Hagan
    World Net Daily

10/19/2005

The new Iraq Constitution gives hope that, in a post-Saddam era, this ancient nation may arise as the first truly democratic republic in the Middle East. Unfortunately, the operative word here is "hope." The new Constitution, with the blessings of the United States and Great Britain, has instead turned the once-secular Iraq into an Islamic republic.

The new Iraqi Constitution states, as follows: "Article (2): 1st - Islam is the official religion of the state and is a basic source of legislation: (a) No law can be passed that contradicts the undisputed rules of Islam." The reality is that this new constitution subjugates Iraq's 700,000 Christians, its less than 100 remaining Jews, and an indeterminate number of secular Iraqis to the reign of Islamic law.

(Excerpt) Read more at http://www.wnd.com/news/article.asp?ARTICLE_ID=46915

2. That's "Democracy" for you. Do you doubt for a second that the Shaved Chimp and his base wouldn't want a Christian theocracy in the US given half a chance?

The UK has official religions also and not so long ago it used to mean something substantial. Today it means little more than having to wait until 1000 to go to Tesco and Halfords on a Sunday. Thank fcuk.

3. No sh!t Sherlock. It took Saddam, the Ba'ath party, some secret police and a lot of corpses to keep the Mullahs down before we invaded. Why act surprised now we've given them freedom to operate ?

4. I am part of his base. We do not want a Theocracy in Iraq. I don't know where you are located but you have a seriously distorted view of both Bush and his base.

It seems you would delight in deaths and destruction in Iraq, just so you can rave about President Bush. GET SOME THERAPY

now if you were part of the part of the base I say you need to find Christ

5. Ever heard of research? Article 2 actually says...

So the point of your post was?

6. And I would imagine that there will be some tension when the authorities try to reconcile Articles 1 and 2 when applying the law. :roll:

I am quite aware that global politics is a complex affair, and the law of unintended consecquences applies, but I'm not sure that many of us hoped that what would be left after the dust settled was going to resemble another Saudi Arabia.

7. " don't know where you are located but you have a seriously distorted view of both Bush and his base."

Er Neo Con put me down on that list too.
    john in serious need of Therapy
    Think I'll go and see my therapist now whats her name

8. staight jacket for this man before jesus tells him to kill the children please.

9. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

let's guess....Yoo No Fun.....all time Number One bang bang girly in Patpong road ....sucky f6cky ten bucks ! ( or has inflation kicked in Thai style!)

10. As to highly esteemed and learned mr.Bush and his base then we probably can relay on his own words

http://slate.msn.com/id/76886/

Frankly speaking my English is not too good to understand this phrase completely but Mr.Bush tells sometimes very interesting things.

In fact, mr.Bush predicted London bombings.

Mr.Bush has a sober view about possible fate of American soldiers in Iraq

But some views of mr.Bush are strange. It appears that USA is not a free country (and the UK too)

It appears that Saddam is absolutely innocent.

By contrast pres.Musharraf should be sentenced

Goal of Mr.Bush is to protect the UK

However Israel is a dangerous competitor

In this context I begin to understand this prase

It appears that USA and Japan are good old friends

So there were war-games in Perl-Habour.

Exactly!

11. The Constitution means nothing, its the events on the ground that matter.
    Christians are fleeing Iraq with many going to Syria. No doubt they have had enough of the Mullahs and insurgents making their lives a living hell.

Re-edited for clarity.

12. Absolutely, Castle... My point was rather that the original post was nothing more than sensationalist drivel, and that the Constitution wasn't just a green light for a nasty fundamentalist islamic state.

13. Apologies - I have just re-read my orginal post and it looks like I am responding to you.
    I meant to just use your citation of article 2, again apologies for any confusion.

14. no_angel

He is absolute right . Any construction over time will have stresses as they struggle to stay within the law. What they need to do is to have democratic process in place that can amend the law in a legal fashion.

Here's another constitution that has Islam as it's state religion and Its a federation.

Who set up this goverment?

Constitution of Malaysia

Article 3
    1. Islam is the religion of the Federation; but other religions may be practised in peace and harmony in any part of the Federation

In Turkey which may soon becaome a member of the EU the

15. Aha!

But according to you, a democratically elected (and repeatedly confirmed) President who uses the correct proceedure and law to alter a constitution - is a dictator!

Oooops! I forgot. That only applies to countries and governments that you don't like! Countries that you do like can do anything they want and it's OK.