Iraq Battle Honours

Discussion in 'Infantry' started by CrapSpy, Jun 9, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. From Defence Intranet:

Iraq Battle Honours for the British Army

Her Majesty has also approved the award of the Battle Honours 'Al Basrah' and 'Western Iraq 2003' and the Theatre Honour 'Iraq 2003' to Army units which participated in Operation TELIC. Specifically The Queen has approved the award of the Battle Honour 'Al Basrah' and the Theatre Honour 'Iraq 2003' to the Irish Guards who participated in Operation TELIC during the period 19 March to 30 April 2003. The announcement of other Army units will follow in due course.

The criteria for the award of a Battle or Theatre Honour for participation in operations differ between each Service. This is because the nature of operations in sea, ground and air campaigns are all different and each Service has developed its own traditions over time. The Army sought approval of these awards in principle, which was granted, and are now considering the cases of individual units. The Irish Guards have been announced at this stage to allow them to display their Theatre Honour 'Iraq 2003' on their Colour at Trooping the Colour this year. They are unlikely to have the opportunity to do this again for another seven or eight years.

The 1st Battalion Irish Guards did not form a Battlegroup but were instead split up in order to augment 1st (UK) Armoured Division and 7th Armoured Brigade. Nos 1 and 2 Company groups provided infantry support to the Scots Dragoon Guards Battlegroup. Every other remaining Irish Guardsman deployed in Platoons, sections or as individual augmentees with Battlegroups in 7th Armoured Brigade or as part of their Headquarters and Headquarters 1 (UK) Armoured Division. From the commencement of hostilities on 19 March 2003, the Irish Guards took part in the fighting to secure Southern Basra and policed the subsequent peace until they were relieved on 30 April. They were awarded an MBE and three Military Crosses.

8O This strikes me as quite surprising. I wonder what CO SCOTS DG, 1 BW and 1 RRF think of this?

2. Let's not forget the other BG in 7 Bde from the RTR. No real surprises there, happened with the TELIC medals too!

3. I've been out for quite a while now but I have noticed that in any conflict, in any situation, at least one Guards Btn goes off and gets a battle honour. Is this (and I ask completely free of prejudice) because the Guards HAVE to be present because of their Guard status and because they HAVE to get at least one battle honour. On Granby I know there were guards attached to line regts to fulfil numbers but they were also there doing prisoner guarding as well. Corporate had Welsh and Scots Guards but that was just before my time. Any help with this one please?

4. Quote from DIB: (no link available)

Why are the awards for the Army being announced separately?

The criteria for the award of a Battle or Theatre Honour for participation in operations differ between each Service. This is because the nature of operations in sea, ground and air campaigns are all different and each Service has developed its own traditions over time. The Army sought approval of these awards in principle, which was granted, and are now considering the cases of individual units. The Irish Guards have been announced now in order to allow them to display their Theatre Honour 'Iraq 2003' on their Colour on Trooping the Colour this year (they are unlikely to have the opportunity to do this again for another 7 or 8 years). Further Army awards will be announced in due course.

5. As the Guards represent 5 out of 40 bns in the Army it is quite likely that they will be represented naturally, doesn't it?

6. Does this mean that they will take even longer getting the medals issued?

7. Probably fast tracked it through so the nickknackpaddywhacks could have it on the colours for Trooping the Colour :roll:

I doubt the others will be dealt with with quite the same urgency