Iranians Break Reactor Seals

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by tomahawk6, Aug 10, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Cue additional US carrier TG moved to the Arabian Gulf and perhaps even some Israeli 'we-can-bomb-any-country-we-like' type antics.
  2. Which makes a change from "We can supply any country we like, and screw embargos" type antics. Allegedly.
  3. I'm not playing this time! :D

Mind you, the last game (phrase: T Bliar) is not over yet.
  4. Any direct action against Iran should fall squarely into the laps of the French & Germans. After all, they are shouting the loudest, but refused to get involved with Iraq/Afghanistan.
  5. I'm running a sweepstake on when the Israeli airforce bomb it. That'll put the proverbial cat amongst the pigeons.

6. I've been watching this caper for yonks, and also the way it's been reported. It's noticeable that everyone seems to conveniently "forget" that Iran has done nothing wrong or illegal. It's always been in compliance with the conditions as laid down in the anti-proliferation treaties and within the guidelines of the IAEI.

I might be wrong, but I get the distinct impression that the "Michelin Man" in Israel has given the nod to BUSH (Brain Use Sure Hurts!) to get on the case, in spite of the fact that the differing treatments of Iraq and North Korea (one country weak and vulnerable with no nukes, the other one of unknown status but quite possibly WITH nukes), sent out a very clear message to other countries: get yourself some nukes if you want to be left alone.

7. Bit of a lawyer's answer, isn't it? Iran is a dodgy theocracy/ police state that sponsors terrorism. I think it's reasonable to take a policy decision that they are likely to want to cement their aspiration to be regional top dog by developing nuclear weapons capability. And, furthermore, their manifest belief at governmental/ policy level that there is definitely a happy afterlife might mean that they might be prepared to use them. I don't trust countries run by clerics of any religion, personally.

If my next-door neighbour, who's previously done time for dealing narcotics, goes out and buys a chemistry set, some hydroponic equipment and some large exotic-looking plants then he's done nothing illegal. However, what sort of fcukwit would I be if I didn't suspect he might be knocking up a load of drugs?

8. Dear Vegetius,

I share your misgivings, believe me. I don't trust the fatherlesses either, simply because, in the past, they've given me absolutely no reason to. But their every move is being monitored by the IAEI. Now, you could say that there's still reason to distrust them, despite that, but unfortunately, that's about all the control the international community is going to get.
    My point is that it's all a smoke job to tighten American control of the Middle East and is being blown out of all proportion expressly for that purpose.

9. I don't like the prospect of a nuclear Iran but would make the following observations:

1. Anything the Americans/Israelis do in the way of military action will make things far worse.

2. I didn't like the prospect of India and Pakistan pointing nukes at each other, but that seems to have evolved peacefully.
  10. The irans have had a evil regime imposed on them by the yanks . Invaded by a evil regime backed by the yanks .Seen two neigbour countries invaded by the yanks .Why wouldnt they want a nuke ? There is a bit of democracy and a bit of liberalism just watch bushes stormtroopers smash it . Personally pull out and let the arabs &israels nuke each other too bits .
  11. Their evil regime was self imposed. They have no one to blame but themselves. Like I have said before I could live with a nuclear Iran, but I will bet Europe wont like the uncertainty. The US will more or less be protected by our limited ABM system.
  12. If you believe that about ABMs then you've been smoking some of the 'agricultural' exports from Afghanistan! The only tests that they've done so far have had a pretty poor record of success. I agree with the rest of the comments though.

I admit that I don't know the scale of the enrichment process, but they do need some enriched fuel to follow their plans for a civilian nuclear program. I would assume that they hgave additional capacity beyond this given the concerns raised by the IAEA.

Woody, if you believe that Iran has 'a bit of democracy and a bit of liberalism', then you've been sharing the same stuff with Tomahawk6! The liberal canditates applying to stand in their elections were almost universally barred by the religious leaders.
  13. The US failed to protect itself from a small team of fanatics armed with box-cutters and domestic airline tickets. What makes you think it can protect itself from a nut armed with a small nuclear "suitcase bomb" of Iranian origin?

14. OldSnowy

OldSnowy LE Moderator Book Reviewer

The facts are that Iran for 18 - that's 18 - years covertly worked on developing a nuclear capability, and, when found out, claimed it was for peaceful purposes only. They do not need it, they have massive energy reserves, and the sole reason they are doing it is to make nuclear weapons.

They are a country that has, as a stated aim of government, the destruction of Israel.

Frankly, if the Red Sea Pedestrian Air Force does attack the sites, I would certainly not blame them. It was only their action against the (French supplied) Iraqi rectors at Osirak that S Hussein didn't actually get real WMD some years ago.