IRANIANS ACCIDENTALLY SINK OWN VESSEL

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Not very appropriate to make a joke about an accident that cost over 100 lives.

Most militaries have had weapon related accidents, blue on blue incidents, and the like.

The lessons have been learnt the hard way. The safety manuals really are written in blood. Trying to save time at the expense of safety is a theme of many disasters, possibly including this Iranian one.
Long may the Iranians try to save time at the expense of safety.

Squadron Leader Rich Brand of the Rhodesian Air Force when leader of No 1 Hawker Hunter Squadron who were nicknamed Steely Eyes were challenged to demonstrate this when a report in a local paper had said they could hit a target as small as a dustbin.

He asked the range officer Kutanga Mac at the Thornhill range to place a dustbin out on the range. In one pass with a quarter second burst of five 30mm rounds he had hit the target. The dustbin was chomed and became a Squadron trophy.

His opinion as a Hunter pilot was that it was a very stable platform for the Aden Cannon and it was possible to be very accurate with the weapon system.
There is a private company with MOD contract to supply dissimilar aircraft for training. They mostly provide aircraft for JTAC training but also for BFM as well. They fly 3 hunters and a few other relics which they claim are perfect for the job.

There is at least one other private company still flying a hunter as red air - ATAC - Aircraft

I am told by friends of mine who flew the Hunter operationally that they loved it.

One of the companies over in the US that is providing ‘Red Air’ has at least three maybe four.

Japanese shot down a US Navy A-6 Intruder towing a target back in the 90’s.
Phalanx locked on to the tow cable and tracked back up it and shot down the plane.

I am told by friends of mine who flew the Hunter operationally that they loved it.

One of the companies over in the US that is providing ‘Red Air’ has at least three maybe four.
An old pal of mine flew them in the radfan operation and said that you could easily hit a cave mouth with the cannons, then follow up with rockets and seal the caves shut. He also said that the expected air threat was mig 17s, operated by a neighbouring country so they practised dogfight against all sorts of friendly fighters and were itching for a go, completely confident that they could deal with a mig 17.

The company that fly Hunters for the MoD today have upgraded electronic cockpit and the aircraft have military registrations, despite being entirely civil operated, a consequence of Shoreham.

An old pal of mine flew them in the radfan operation and said that you could easily hit a cave mouth with the cannons, then follow up with rockets and seal the caves shut. He also said that the expected air threat was mig 17s, operated by a neighbouring country so they practised dogfight against all sorts of friendly fighters and were itching for a go, completely confident that they could deal with a mig 17.
Chap I had as a co-pilot flew Hunters in the RHAF, loved them, along with a Captain I had flown with from the FAA who had also flown them though not in anger. Both had good things to say... except endurance.

Chap I had as a co-pilot flew Hunters in the RHAF, loved them, along with a Captain I had flown with from the FAA who had also flown them though not in anger. Both had good things to say... except endurance.
For shear grace, I always thought that the Hunter was the jet equivelent of the Spitfire. Pure sex on wings.

Anglo-Indian pilots in the IAF managed it quite well against the PAF Super Sabres in the 1965 and 1971 local Derby's.

1965 Hawker Hunter air battle.

Latest Threads