Iranian students attack british embassy

predatorplus

War Hero
tomahawk6 said:
i herd on the news, or radio that they had also tried to storm the place... may just be some Bs trying to get us worked up...
BTw why hasnt there been any of this at the iran embassy?

Sergey, it's funny, is it not, that a company owned by a person close to Mr Putin is building Busher reactor? Also, it's in Russia'sinterests to keep oil/gas prices high, no?

tomahawk6 said:
A bit of a sideshow that.

Greater wheels will be turning. Compassion and diplomacy will prevail and it's unlikely to turn into another 'Guantanamo bay, out of reach of the law' situation.

There isn't enough ignorance around for this to happen and the captives will be home sooner rather than five years down the line and still awaiting a fair trial.

AndyPipkin said:
Sergey, it's funny, is it not, that a company owned by a person close to Mr Putin is building Busher reactor? Also, it's in Russia'sinterests to keep oil/gas prices high, no?
Andy, indeed high oil and gas prices are in Russian interests but are the Russsians guilty in it?

Busher reactor? It is a profitable business. If not Russia then our French friends would do it (as they did it in Iraq).

Btw, Peogeut 206 made in Iran are very popular in Moscow. And British Gas has its office in Tehran

http://www.bg-group.com/contact/contacts.htm

Middle East

No. 6 Kish Street
Jahan-e Koodak Junction
Africa Expressway
Tehran 15188
Iran

Tel: +9821 8888 1876-7

Fax: +9821 8877 2356

tomahawk6 said:
And while it was a good turn out after a quick phonecall to Rent-A-Radical I was rather surprised to see the Iranian riot police smiling as while some of the radicals appeared to have lost the plot, the riot police seemed to know exactly what was going on.

Staged? But bring your own rock.

ishinryu

Old-Salt
predatorplus said:
Iran would be up in arms, if we started doing that to the Iranian embassy?
Apparently, according to Metro this AM, there was a small impromtu demonstration outside the Iranian embassy calling for the release of the military personnel to be released.

See, Calm and collected and just trying to get our point accross. Not trying to burn the place down.

The odd part of the BBC report stated that the police had built scaffolding outside the walls of the British Embassy to keep the protestors out. Surely if the crowd decided to surge and attack the embassy, surely this would just enable them to scale the walls more easily? Does anyone else think that this was what the Iranian authorities wanted? Just a thought of course.

Ish.

Nothing ever seems to happen by accident in Iran.

There's always somebody pulling the strings but with all the different factions, you just never know who.

stinker said:
Hang on .....

I am getting the right end of the stick here..

They detain our personnel and then attack our embassy?

Persian New Year - do they always throw rocks ate the British Embassy at this time of year?

Fcuk me what would they do if we detained their pax.

Rent a crowd seems to be the order of the day here, to gain what - I'm feckin clueless.
Yes, especially if the logistics chain delivers a small truck containing fist sized rocks at the same time that the protestors arrive! A very good example of a just-in-time supply chain in operation!

Litotes

Beard and stone seller
Stone, sir?

Mother
No, they've got a lot there, lying around on the ground.

Beard and stone seller
Oh, not like these, sir. Look at this! Feel the quality of that,
that's craftmanship, sir.

Mother
Hmm...all right, we'll have two with points and...a big flat one.

Brian
Could I have a flat one, mum?

Mother
Ssch!

Brian
Sorry! Dad!

Mother
Ehm...all right, two points, ahm...two flats and a packet of
gravel.

Beard and stone seller
Packet of gravel. Should be a good one this afternoon.

Many a true word and all that!

stinker said:
Hang on .....

They wont have PAX thier not that switched on with insurance - :wink:

Tilbake

Old-Salt
They’d be lucky to find anyone in.

A couple of days after 9/11, I thought I’d do the right thing and went there to register as a British citizen in Iran.

Receptionist: You’ll have to wait; all the British staff are busy.

Tilbake: Can I just fill in a form and leave it here then?

Receptionist: Dunno. I’ll have to ask them.

10 minutes later: No you can’t.

Tilbake: When’ll they be finished?

Receptionist: Dunno

Couple of old dog-eared copies of the Economist later.

Tilbake: Have they finished yet?

Receptionist: Hold on, I'll ask..............Nope they say they won’t be finished before lunch, then they have a meeting after that.

Tilbake: Shall I come back tomorrow?

Receptionist: Tomorrow’s Friday….day off.

Tilbake: I’m going back up country on Saturday, shall I not bother then?

Receptionist:

Tilbake: I’ll get me coat.

Wonder if the Basiij do “Sponsor a Rock”?

SeaJay

Old-Salt
It looks to me like another attempt to paint themselves as ever so reasonable.
"Look how restrained we are in looking after your sailors and marines even though our people are quite reasonably baying for their blood after their trespass in to our waters."
All nonsense of course but it means they get to carry on enjoying their power games and it means that other countries can refuse to help the UK because they can say with a straightish face that there are two sides to the story and it's a 'technical matter' (a phrase the Iranians seem to love) between the UK and Iran and nothing to do with anyone else, which they wouldn't be able to do if Iran brazenly said "Ha, we've got your people. Ner ner na ner ner."

I supposed it's possible that it's a spontaneous crowd. After all they're proud of their country and all the information they're getting from the official media says that we waltzed in to their waters then had the nerve to complain about being detained. I doubt it though. As previous posters have said, Iran seems like the sort of place where you don't demonstrate unless you're told to.

intli

War Hero
I saw a 'spontaneous' demonstration in Libya in 1997 when I went across with some veterans for the Tobruk and El Alamein anniversaries. Whilst in Tobruk I stuck the TV on and there was old Qaddaffi with no other than Nelson Mandela. They made some speech which I didn't understand as it was all in Arabic but it was on the sight of the hospital the yanks bombed after the disco bombings.

Stood around were a passive mob of women and kids all with plackards in various languages including English, slagging off the Yanks etc. After a couple of speeches and Mandela's reply they walzed off to a Limo and left.

However, this being State TV and nothing else scheduled the cameras kept running. It was really fascinating. After about 10 minutes the crowd began to disperse and stacked all their plackards on the ground. The camera then panned back and there was a fleet of buses which everyone proceeded to board which then drove them away. The square was completely empty now, except for the plackards which were then collected and as a couple of guys took them away the broadcast finished.

It was really an eye opener to watch a State organised protest but without media savvy operators to record it.

Calm down people....

There is nothing new in what the Iranians are instigating - It has been done time and time again.

German students had a whale of a time in the late 1960s demonstrating violently against the visit of the Shah of Persia. A German student (B.Ohnesorg) was shot by a German policeman and the Red Army Fraction was born (Germanys most vile terrorist organisation).

When a country is in need it will install fear through propaganda into its rows - we did it during the second world war (the posters with demonic Germans) the Iranians are doing the same - it's politico sabre rattling.....

MightyBigEgo

War Hero
I have a friend who was based at the Embassy (FCO) in Terhan. All these demos are staged, and the police tell teh embassy staff when they are going to happen, so the staff then take the afternoon/day off. Most of these demos last a coupl eof hours and then fade away once the film crews have got what they wanted. Then, all the embassy staff coem back to work!!
It is all propaganda for the Iranians bigging themselves up.

predatorplus said:
stinker said:
Hang on .....

I am getting the right end of the stick here..

They detain our personnel and then attack our embassy?

Persian New Year - do they always throw rocks ate the British Embassy at this time of year?

Rent a crowd seems to be the order of the day here, to gain what - I'm feckin clueless.
i charge £10 an hour for my riot skills...
Fcuk me Pred, call yourself patriotic? This ones on the house lads...

me n bee said:
Calm down people....

There is nothing new in what the Iranians are instigating - It has been done time and time again.

German students had a whale of a time in the late 1960s demonstrating violently against the visit of the Shah of Persia. A German student (B.Ohnesorg) was shot by a German policeman and the Red Army Fraction was born (Germanys most vile terrorist organisation).

When a country is in need it will install fear through propaganda into its rows - we did it during the second world war (the posters with demonic Germans) the Iranians are doing the same - it's politico sabre rattling.....
Where they the buggers who used to hang, draw and QUARTER people?

Tilbake

Old-Salt
frenchperson said:
me n bee said:
Calm down people....

Where they the buggers who used to hang, draw and QUARTER people?
Nope; the spelling was correct, if anglicised; more correctly: "Rote Armee Fraktion".

They saw themselves as part of a larger, worldwide, communist workers movement, rather than a splinter group, which the word "faction" would imply.

Surprised you, of all people, didn't know that.

Latest Threads