Iranian Revolutionary Guard presence in Iraq

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Goatman, May 19, 2006.

1. Definitely - shoulder to shoulder just like Eye Rack

0 vote(s)
  2. You re kidding me right ?

3. Depends on the circumstances

4. Emphatically not -and the sooner we are out of Iraq the better

5. Whether we back Uncle Sam or not is,sadly, irrelevant

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

[ mods - I did think of adding this to the 59 page Op Persian Freedom thread - but it's actually more about Iraq than Iran. ]

From the blog of an Iraqi girl living in Baghdad - it's called BAGHDAD BURNING . The book has been nominated for something called the Samuel Johnstone prize this year...

Apologies to those who have already seen in an earlier thread...I thought it was worth posting this extract....the blog is worth reading.

Le Chevre - << En avant Le Weekend ? Laissez le bon temps R-o-o-o-ulez!! >>
  2. Interesting, but entirly logical. If there's a country who has spent the last 3 1/2 years sabre rattling in your general direction, wouldn't it make sense to try and tie them down somewhere else?

Took a look at the blog though, riveting stuff. What else do we know about this girl?
  3. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Couldn't find a pic.....doubt she's a hotty somehow though standing by to be delighted and surprised.........the piece on her 80 year old "Bibi Z" produced a pretty poignant quote:

" I was born under a foreign occupation. I never thought I'd die under one too."
  4. Much has been made of Iranians supplying arms to the Muj. Christopher Allbritton, who does not swallow Pentagon propaganda easily, reckons there is some truth in it.

The black op bit of the Pasdaran, the Qods force, is operating in Iraq. It was known to be at work in Iraq ever since the Iran-Iraq war, especially in the Shi'a South, Langley did raise this as a risk before this war. Activity has escalated since we invaded according to some and it would be odd if this was otherwise. Though as Badr Brigade is IRGC trained and has invested the Interior Ministry they may not need many Persian boots on the ground.
  5. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

Thanks for the link to Colonel Pat's blog - useful.

I read the letter from the NGO worker in ( I guess) July 2003 with some interest as I was in country then.

I am not one of those who touts British soft COIN skills over US - the American CIMIC people we were alongside - mostly reservists - risked their lives every single day they were in country rather than sitting behind concrete chicanes and guarded enclaves....

Bremer may have been a patriot but there were some very odd decisions being made by ORHA.....and TRUCKLOADS of dollar bills washing about.

Whatever comes next in Iraq , Britain and US have moved mountains to bring the country back from the devastation left by sanctions, Saddam and the War To Get Rid.......the sooner we leave the Iraqi people, not in the lurch, but free - for good or ill - to resolve their own destiny the better.

Lee Shaver
  6. Riverbend has been outed on lots of other blogs as being probably a member of a well off family possibly an ambassador to the US or Europe who worked for Saddam and is now worse off because they are no longer employed and paid by their beloved dictator. She has also been accused of making up stories about US building firms, local non-Saddam supporters' corruption etc.

I used to read her but stopped when all the different stories she was coming out with about electricity cuts etc were not tying with other Iraqi bloggers such as Iraqthemodel and even the original Salem Pax. She has an agenda like most blogs obviously but her's was, to my mind, tainted by her origins as one of Saddam's mates hence her hatred of the Americans and the new Iraqi politicians.

On the Iranian angle did anyone see the news reports that Iranian agents had been seen in the area just prior to the three Italians being killed the other week? Wonder how many of our forces have been killed directly or indirectly by Iranians or their IEDs? And why are we not bringing pressure on the Iranians NOW.
  7. On the subject of the poll.

The Mullahs are an awful bunch of reactionary bastards who are bent on sustaining and expanding their revolution and unfortunately have benefited hugely from the fall of Saddam. However I don't think the US has any practical military option on Iran without flushing Iraq and the world economy down the toilet. I also don't think Dubya gives a rats arse what anybody other than the GOP base thinks and unfortunately he is a bold man of faith. It may happen.

I'd recommend Pat Lang's blog on this. If the Yanks start building up armor in Kuwait I'd worry. The Colonel thinks the Israelis can't do it and wants to apply the full might of USAF and has been looking at the various angles. There were a number of posts on how Iran might respond, with Pat suggesting our lines of supply in the Shi'a South are vunerable. This by Erasmus looked at the worst case.
  8. Goatman

Goatman LE Book Reviewer

uh....thanks, but I'll wait for Castlereagh ( who is a ME policy wonk) to set me straight on this stuff rather than, no disrespect, an embittered ex spook.

seems to me that Bendy River, no matter what her antecedents, has a more authentic voice than anybody posting from Alexandria or Tysons Corner.....and who stands to gain from discrediting her? current regime in DC by any chance?

Its all too difficult for an ole goat.....professional paranoia gets the better of us all after a while....'what's the motivation?...where is she coming from ?....what's the angle? ?

maybe the angle is :...I'm p1ssed life is sh1t...and its YOUR fault....

( the day I left Iraq it was 53 degrees Centigrade in the shade. and rising ... ..imagine enduring three years of that without air con that you KNOW would be available if only the freakin' electricity was on for more than four hours a day....imagine Biloxi in midsummer - with power rationing....)

Lee Shaver