Iranian ramble - gets to the point in the end

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by msr, Jan 14, 2006.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. msr

msr LE

http://officersclub.blogspot.com/2006/01/iran-ditches-unnow-what.html

A caveat though. Sanctions may actually work, and Secretary Rice has expressed strong interest in the Security Council resolution route. Why? Because moderate and liberal Iranians have grown increasingly disillusioned with Ahmadinejad's series of embarassing fundamentalist gaffes, from his calls for the destruction of Israel to his denial of the Holocaust. If Iran's street sees sanctions as a direct result of Ahmadinejad's blustering, the Iranian populace may offer us a more long term solution to the nuke problem via civil uprising.

That is, after all, what everyone really wants out of this Persian mess. A democratic Iran, where bumbling clerics preach from their Mosque soap-boxes, instead of parliment.

msr

2. Mr. Ahmadinejad says he won't be moved by sanctions threats.

Iran's president stood fast Saturday behind his decision to resume uranium enrichment research, shrugging off threats of international sanctions while his Foreign Ministry invited Europe and the U.N. nuclear watchdog back to the negotiating table.

"The time of using language of bullying and coercion ... is over," Ahmadinejad said at a news. "There is no evidence to prove Iran's diversion (toward nuclear weapons)."

"I recommend to them (the West) to try to understand the Iranian nation and government. Otherwise you may do something that will make you regret it," he added.

Ahmadinejad charged that the threats of sanctions and Security Council action were the true dangers to world stability, not Iran's nuclear program.

"Iran's Leader Shrugs Off Sanctions Threat"
    By ALI AKBAR DAREINI, Associated Press Writer

Saturday, January 14, 2006
    http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/article.cgi?file=/news/archive/2006/01/14/international/i113440S91.DTL

3. The US needs to start to get a clue about info ops and start to nuance the Iranian publics perception of their attitude. Currently they see a US who targets all Iranians for being, well, Iranian. Under those circumstances Ahmadinejad gets support.

What they need to see is a US that thinks their current PM is a nutter but that theu are all right. Under those circumstances Ahmadinejad loses support.

But hey, that requires knowledge of and sensitivity to foreign cultures and a belief that there are more options on the table than blowing stuff up. So I'm not holding my breath.